Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: New S&W 686 plus - hanging up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Bullets pulling out? Last one hits forcing cone?
    Good idea.

My .445 Supermag would cause bullets to be “pulled” if I didn’t crimp them real good.

(Bucks County)

That would explain a hard double-action trigger pull. I think he is describing a trigger poundage increase in single action. The trigger won't move until the after the cylinder stop engages (unless it's out of time). So it's not a cylinder drag problem.

(Montgomery County)

I have been shooting a 686 plus since January, 2016 and had the original trigger spring replaced. The trigger pull felt like it was eight or nine pounds. It is now about three pound. You should probably have a gun smith look at it.

(Berks County)

Update: Had the 686 out to the range again yesterday, and sure enough the problem was still present. And this was with using 2 different types of factory ammo than before. Last time used Blazer JHP’s, this time tried Herter’s FMJ and PMC JSP. The JSP’s seemed to work fine with no malfunction, however the FMJ’s led to the malfunction this time around. And, unlike before, this time the malfunction occurred midway through the 7 rounds, not just on the 7th round like before.

So, in short, I will be taking it back to get it looked at.

(Bucks County)

If it's happening sooner, it may be on the way to being broken in. More shooting might advance it past round one, and end the problem.

Just kidding....

(Susquehanna County)

Call S&W and explain the problem to them. Especially if the gun is new and still under warranty. They should send you a shipping label so they can inspect it and fix the problem if there is one that ties to them. At worst you'll have to take a trip to a FedEx store. If they don't, won't or can't fix the problem, talk to Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Indiana County)

Yeah, call S&W.

(Susquehanna County)

Hey Rush, not for nothing, but I bought two new S&W revolvers in the past 6 mos. One in July, a Model 67 in .38 Spec. on just a few weeks ago, a 986 Pro Model. I wasn't happy with the action on either of them. In SA both required what I thought undue force just to cock the hammer. For both guns it seemed a "ridge" was reached while cocking, beyond which to finally set the hammer, required added pressure. Trigger release was "stiff". DA trigger pull seemed horrendous. If S&W says 10# it seemed more like 12! Gritty, and it "stacked" terribly! The 986 seemed to "stage" OK, but once the stage area was reached trigger is "supposed" to remain the same of lighten. This increased. Anyhow the 67 went to Pinnacle and returned a pleasure to shoot! The action is a bit "heavier" than my "ancient" S&Ws, but smooth and manageable. The 986 has gone back to S&W and I'm waiting to see what if anything they do. Since the 986 is a Performance Center Pro Series piece, I thought I'd let them have first attempt at making it right. FWIW, this is my 2nd "Pro" revolver, the first was a 627 (now 5 years old) that had a decent trigger and action right out of the box!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12