Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Another uneventful open carry interaction with APD.

Tonight I was driving through town; Allentown; to stop at a Fedex place, get a couple Express boxes, and then head out for diner.
    Half way across town. I realized I forgot the address of the Fedex place.
    So I pulled into a parking lot to use my phone and check their address and/or call them.

As I'm parked in a parking space, with truck's motor running and it's lights on, checking my phone.
    I notice a vehicle backing up directly towards me. So directly; it looked like they were trying to back into the parking space I was occupying.
    I blast my horn. But they keep coming and bump into me. Their back bumper nearly perfectly parallel to and into my front bumper.

I get out and of course look at them with both my hands in the air saying things such as "What the hell are you doing ?!".
    The driver rolls down his window and says he's sorry. He's a young kid; possibly teenager; and his two passengers are women.
    The three of them almost look like they might be teenage son, mom, and grandma.
    The young driver looks scared to death. I'm not certain if it's because I was openly carrying or if because he was in an "accident".
    I somewhat felt sorry for him. And actually hope he did not receive a ticket.

Anyway the "mom" says there's no damage. Which is probably true because of the such slow speed and bumping bumper-to-bumper.
    But I say that it's dark, raining, there could be something we don't see. And besides you still DID hit me. So I'm calling 911.

I call 911, say what happened, no one is hurt, there's probably no damage, but I want a report done just in case there is damage we do not see.
    Personally I'm thinking very slight possibility for bumper's mounts to be bent or airbag sensors to be damaged.

Any way APD show up. Two officers in one car.
    One officer tends to the other people and one tends to me.

The one tending to me notices me carrying and asks me to step further away just to be less intimidating.
    And jokingly says "Just don't reach for it.". We both chuckle.

After all paper work is done and the two officers hand me back my DL, registration, insurance card, and the yellow carbon copy of incident.
    The officer who tended to the other people. Says/asks since I'm carrying; do I have a license and can they see it.
    I pull it out of my wallet and show it to him. He says "Yup you're good."
    I get the feeling this was just standard procedure and/or CYA routine.

I think this was my fourth direct interaction with APD while open carrying.
    Not counting the countless times just walking past each other on the street or being in the same room of a building.

I've noted the other direct interactions in other past threads. But I'll say them again.

First was when I first started carrying back when Obama got re-elected.
    I was walking along sidewalk. Officer in a cruiser pulled up next to me and rolled down his passenger window.
    His said to me "Sorry to bother you. But some idiot (or was it moron) called about a man with a gun.".
    He asked my name, where I lived. I told him. He then began to ask some more fishing questions.
    I told him I think I already gave him info than I was legally required. He said "OK. Have a good day." and then drove off.

Second was a year later.
    I was walking to the grocery store. An APD cruiser followed me into the parking lot I was walking through.
    My first thought was "Here we go." and expecting trouble.
    But nope. Officer got out of his cruiser, introduced himself, and said he and his fellows officers support my open carrying.
    Of course he did ask some possible fishing or simply pro-gun questions. Such as what am I carrying, do I practice and get training, etc ...

Third was I think this past summer.
    I was walking to the APD location to get a police report. But it was closed.
    While I'm walking around checking the address and looking for hours posted on a window or door.
    A couple off duty or plain clothes officers in their own car see me and drive up next to me.
    They knew exactly what I was looking for. Because without hesitation they said "They are closed. They have banker's hours. Come back at such-n-such time."
    Then one asked. "Is that an M&P 45 ?"
    I replied said "Nope. It's an M&P-9.".
    He replied "Good choice. Have a good day." And drove off.

Either Allentown has always been a very pro-gun department.
    Or all you guys and gals who've been open carrying for eons. Have done an excellent job of educating police and the general populace.
    To which I say. THANK YOU !
    --ET

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Another uneventful open carry interaction with APD.

Next time they ask to see your license, give them a polite "No, thanks, I'm legal" and see if we've really educated them.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Next time they ask to see your license, give them a polite "No, thanks, I'm legal" and see if we've really educated them.
    He was driving and oc, he has to have his ltcf in that scenario....c'mon man, we've been over this and the test is tmw.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    He was driving and oc, he has to have his ltcf in that scenario....c'mon man, we've been over this and the test is tmw.
    You're right, my bad.

(Montgomery County)

He wasnt driving when the cops got there, though......

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    He wasnt driving when the cops got there, though......
    By the time the request for LTCF had been made he had already indicated he had been in the car. Driving or not (OC/CC irrelevant), that requires LTCF.

(Berks County)

I was in Warner stained glass in Allentown last weekend and there was an employee OCing there. I didn’t mention anything to him. Seemed like a friendly sort of place. It was my first trip to the Allentown Farmers market that weekend too. Noticed at least 10 people with gun related gear on. The entire area seemed pro gun.

The stained glass place had some great stuff and the employees were fantastic.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.