Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default preserved open space

I have noticed some areas in Bucks and Mont co listed as "Preserved Open Space". Briefly reading the sign it is area designated to not be used for developement, to preserve nature. However I did not see mention of ban on hunting etc or any "No hunting" signs in the area. Looking at map they are they are about 10-20 acres each. Anyone know if you can bow hunt in these areas?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: preserved open space

Depends on the landowner. Township? County? Conservancy? Farmer? Pa. has a farmland preservation program, the farmers can sell the development (ie building) rights to the government but they retain ownership of the land and it can eventually be sold for farming or other similar uses. NOT housing developments or strip malls though, that is the 'rights' they sold.

Seems to me when I lived there, zoning boards were also starting to require that developers only build on X acres of a non-preserved property and set aside Y acres. Find the landowner and ask is the best I can tell you.

Dale

(Bucks County)

Yep. Landowner has entered into an easement agreement to preserve the land as is, with certain conservation goals giving tax advantages. These agreements are usually not designed to preclude hunting and fishing. Landowner has to be asked, just like any other land owner. Unposted is not permission to enter. Anyone entering knows it is someone else's property and not theirs...ergo, ask.

(Chester County)

the 50 or so acres i was most interested in is township owned. The township has an ordinace banning carry weapons and killing/harvesting animals without express written consent from them. I guess i can try for consent but who knows if they will allow it, probably not. Looks like mayor is (R) and Township council has a slight republican majority so I may have a chance. Not 100% who to contact to ask for permission either.

(Bucks County)

I'd start with the township manager, I guess... but yeah, what's in it for them to allow hunting....

(Somerset County)

If the homeowners in the area are experiencing deer damage to their flower etc. and you did mention bow hunting, so there's a chance.

Dale

(Philadelphia County)

I know for a fact guys hunt small less than 15 ac parcels in preserved areas in Montco not sure if they ask the landowners or not but in my case they scurried off when I went on my moms porch to check them out just me but I wouldnt be running back into the woods if I had legal permission