Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: CMP 1911 purchase requirements!

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    "shipping it to the local 01, 02, or 07 FFL dealer."

Another organization that doesn't understand the different types of FFL's. FFL types 01, 02, 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11 can all deal in firearms and run NIC checks.

Pic from RocketFFL since the ATF info page is about as clear as dirt.

Attachment 103466
    Yeah, if you read above it says that “CMP 1911” is separate from the CMP and is a FFL.

So it seems they are just another FFL making up their own rules as they go...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I’m still wondering how these pistols currently in the market made it out of military service legally.
    Generals were allowed to keep their personal pistols. When they passed on, the sidearms frequently found their way to the market. Here's a link about "U.S. General Officer Pistols: A Collectors' Guide". BTW, "bambomiss's" dad co-authored the book:
    https://www.abebooks.com/97809849605...098496052X/plp

Or are today’s collectors buying up stolen guns that found their way home in duffle bags?
    The OSS carried diplomatic pouches when they traveled. Who knows what was in them?
    - bamboomaster

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Generals were allowed to keep their personal pistols. When they passed on, the sidearms frequently found their way to the market. Here's a link about "U.S. General Officer Pistols: A Collectors' Guide". BTW, "bambomiss's" dad co-authored the book:
    https://www.abebooks.com/97809849605...098496052X/plp

The OSS carried diplomatic pouches when they traveled. Who knows what was in them?
    I can’t count how many times over the years I’ve heard “my grandfather/dad brought his Garand/Carbine/pistol “back” from the war”.
    Now I know that some of these guns were bought later by pap/dad and the family just assumed it was their personal weapon in the war, but I’m sure there are many many pilfered guns out there that were stolen from the service.

After I posted that question, someone on Gunboards posted their 1911 they got from the DCM in the 60’s along with the box and paperwork, so there seem to have been at least some sold off previously that I was unaware of happening as it was before my time and I’ll admit also since I’m not a real huge 1911 fan, probably because of the lack of affordable examples out there.

So it seems they are just another FFL making up their own rules as they go...
    You CAN'T be that DENSE!

Now take a deep breathe or 2 and read S L O W L Y.

The rule were set forth by Congress and the Dept of the ARMY!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    You CAN'T be that DENSE!

Now take a deep breathe or 2 and read S L O W L Y.

The rule were set forth by Congress and the Dept of the ARMY!
    The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified updated 12/12/2017:
    Der...
    Der...
    Der...

I don’t like being called dense when I read the above in a copy and paste from
    Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program

They should be given away for free through a lottery. You would have to qualify by proving that you pay some sort of federal taxes. I would also be o.k. with some other qualifiers like what already exists for the long guns.
    How about to qualify , you must provide proof of military service , qualification and proficiency with the 1911 and honorable discharge?

For all those who are still soooo upset by the rules and/or prices , dial 1-800-pet-apup and a volunteer will come over with a puppy to pet and relieve your stress.

petpup.jpg
    Last edited by abner13; December 16th, 2017 at 07:23 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Indiana County)

How about to qualify , you must provide proof of military service , qualification and proficiency with the 1911 and honorable discharge?

For all those who are still soooo upset by the rules and/or prices , dial 1-800-pet-apup and a volunteer will come over with a puppy to pet and relieve your stress.

petpup.jpg
    Seems you are a little upset yourself...

No reply on my showing you that your “dense” comment was totally uncalled for if one “slowly” read the latest comments from Mark Johnson eh?

(Allegheny County)

I'm obviously a USGI 1911 fan boy but even I think the requirements are a PITA. HOWEVER, when you consider that the DOD, most politicians, and probably 50% of the US population would be happy to see these guns destroyed rather than sold, I understand the hoops. Whining about the CMP's proposed processes/prices while ignoring the backstory is like yelling "I shouldn't have to jump through these hoops to own a C&R machine gun because I have an 03": you may be technically correct but whining about it won't change anything.

Considering the amount of salivating people are doing over these guns, I have no doubt the first 8,000-10,000 will sell immediately. Maybe demand will taper off over the years as more are released (especially if condition isn't great) but regardless the first year's supply will be gone quick and CMP knows it so I doubt they feel the need to risk their charter by ignoring NDAA mandates.
    Last edited by thebearpack; December 16th, 2017 at 12:28 PM.

(Indiana County)

I guess that the CMP guy says this will not be associated with the CMP and that the “board” makes up the “rules” is going to keep being overlooked by some...

(Allegheny County)

You CAN'T be that DENSE!
    Apparently you're wrong.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast