Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: CMP 1911 purchase requirements!

From CMP forum;
    ''While I too am not happy that (apparently) C&R licenses will not be accepted for the purpose of the M1911 sales program, everyone needs to understand the scrutiny that ALL of CMP is being placed under as a requirement of the new legislation.

The 2015 legislation (that is still on the books at this moment) mandated that CMP had to register as a Type 01 (dealer) FFL and that pistol sales would be conducted in the same manner as a normal FFL01 dealer would have to do. (Remember that CMP's longstanding ability to ship rifles directly to CMP purchasers - in most states - is a HUGE exception from the normal requirements of Federal gun laws.) The pending legislation keeps this requirement. I suspect that the legislation deliberately sought to ensure that a sort of "back door" wasn't created regarding pistol sales in states where they are tightly restricted - CA, NY, NJ, etc.

Simply put, there was a lot of opposition to the idea of allowing the Government to sell surplus pistols to the public - the first such sales in almost 50 years! The politicians who opposed this don't see collectible pistols or savings to the Government; they see only HANDGUNS in public hands.

Keep in mind that under the new legislation, every year in which pistols are transferred to CMP for sale, the Army is required to submit a report to Congress detailing, among other things, information on crimes that can be connected to these surplus pistols (to the extent possible).

In addition, the legislation requires not one but TWO separate reviews of the overall CMP, one to be conducted by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the other by a Federally-funded research and development center. These reviews will place a great deal of scrutiny on CMP's operations and, in my opinion, appear to question the need for Government support of the CMP (through the donation of surplus firearms whose sales support CMP's operations). I think many CMP customers have taken that support for granted for too long. The reports are due to Congress by January 1, 2019. Depending on what those reports find and recommend, they could provide fodder for those who don't like CMP in the first place.

So, I can appreciate the caution with which CMP is approaching this issue.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Indiana County)

01 FFLs honor my C&R all the time...

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    They want me to pay for the gun?

No fucking way. ...my parents and grandparent already paid for it.
    Yes they did, and now selling the same guns for a huge profit to line pockets or build ranges that benefits few is bullshit.

Maybe they should auction everyone of the pistols, let the markets decide.
    Nah, then the collectors who have banked on values would take a beating.

(Bucks County)

Stuff like this make me happy that my grandfather brought back all kinds of other treasures from ww2.

How many guys are going to buy these things and then stick them in a safe?

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Stuff like this make me happy that my grandfather brought back all kinds of other treasures from ww2.

-Zach
    I keep all my guns in a safe.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Question: would you sell those treasures at less than street value, would you try to get the most you could for them, or would you never sell them at all? If the last one, why? Aren't they just old guns ands stuff? Or are you assigning some historical and sentimental value to them?

You can't have it both ways. Either they're crappy, shot out rattle traps or they have historic value. If the former, why would people just stick them in their safe? If the latter, why wouldn't they?

(Allegheny County)

From a CMP employee addressing someone saying "imagine if one gets used in a crime":
    And no imagining...the program would be shut down, and CMP as a whole would face unprecedented scrutiny, as would the Army and DoD. That's why DoD has balked at this from the beginning (everyone already forget the point paper from 2 years ago produced by the DoD finding issue with every aspect of this program?!). The risk factor here pegs the meter compared to sales of mil-surp Garands, carbines and bolt actions.
    I'm not sure you guys realize how close we were to these guns going to Captain Crunch. The Army didn't want them in civilian hands and neither did most people in the government. Instead of relishing the once in a lifetime chance to own a straight from the Army sidearm, you're sitting around bitching about price or the hoops you'll have to jump through. And on top of that, you're trashing the guns (which none of you have seen) as worn-out junk. You're all over the frigging board. If they're worn-out junk, why do you care about prices or purchase requirements? Why would you even spend $500 on worn out junk when you can have a brand new 1911 for less?

The next time they find .45 ACP cases at a crime scene , they'll blame this program.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post

You can't have it both ways. Either they're crappy, shot out rattle traps or they have historic value. If the former, why would people just stick them in their safe? If the latter, why wouldn't they?
    When they want to buy!

When they want to sell!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Question: would you sell those treasures at less than street value, would you try to get the most you could for them, or would you never sell them at all? If the last one, why? Aren't they just old guns ands stuff? Or are you assigning some historical and sentimental value to them?

I'd have a hard time selling some of this stuff. Not because of intrinsic value or sentiment. Selling anything with a swastika on it complicates things.

Some of the other stuff isn't worth anything such as photographs, German death cards (in rough shape), pins.

To answer your question directly though, would I sell below value, no. Do I think cmp is asking too much? Only if people don't want to pay it.

My original point was that if i am looking to buy something for historical reasons only, I don't need to.

My second point was just a question about how many guys are complaining that they are shot out but then aren't going to shoot them anyway. I think we actually agree on that point. I just didn't clarify my position at all.

-Zach

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast