Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: What is your self defense ammo?

If we are talking shotgun I use 3 Winchester PDX1 defender slugs followed by 4 00 buck shells. If we're talking pistols, Hornady hollows for the .380's and Federal hollows for the 9mm. I will update later once home to tell you more specifics.

Edit: Hornady Critical defense 90 gr hollow points for the .380. I can't find the boxes for the 9mms.
    Last edited by spandexlurch; December 5th, 2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added info

147gr HST, unless carrying my Kahr CM9, then it's 124gr HST.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    ^x2 which led me to the Lehigh Defense extreme penetrator for .380 & Winchester 147gn train & defend for short barrel 9mm's (3"+/-).

for my .40 & 10mm I roll my own with Hornady XTPs
    I also carry the extreme penetrator when carrying my LCPII.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    ...Before anyone comments on why I will go to jail if I shoot a criminal with a handloaded round all I can say is I already made my decision. I will not even think of carrying any round that I have not shot 200-300 rounds (in each pistol) without a problem. And I don't want to invest $200-500 per pistol to find out the answer.
    Don’t sweat it. If a civil attorney ever wanted to try and sway a jury, all they would have to do is read directly from the factory product description fact sheet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Seriously. All these magic designer bullets are hyped by the advertising dept after spending considerable money on design and manufacturing , what else are they going to say. Every bullet design since the basic hollow point is touted to be the deadliest ever. Gelatin blocks are used to show perfectly expanded mushrooms. They don't have clothing , bones , muscle , cartilage , etc. I'd rather base my opinion on actual street shootings. People have run away after taking 5 .45ACP Hydra-Shoks in the chest , and some drop dead after a single .25cal 50gr FMJ. The 115gr 9mm Win Silvertip had an excellent track record till the FBI shoot-out in Miami and that bullet worked perfectly and did a hell of a lot of internal damage.
    My doc says the worst wounds he ever saw in the ER were from Glaser's. A big ragged but shallow wound(s) can still drop a bad guys blood pressure to where he's got no fight. The old Marshall-Sanow reports of actual shootings were good in their day. Some writers like Mas Ayoob still base their recommendations on actual shootings and autopsies. Hell , I'd be happy if the still did the old Strasborg goat tests.

To hear someone who hasn't shot anyone say what's effective and what isn't , well , , it's just an opinion.
    How can you base your results on actual street shootings? They are more varied and statistically uncontrolled than any possible lab setting.

While a decent caliber and high performing bullet is helpful, shot placement is key.

(Bucks County)

First round gets his attention. Momentarily frozen in disbelief, he presents a perfect B-29 like target.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    First round gets his attention. Momentarily frozen in disbelief, he presents a perfect B-29 like target.
    Not anymore. Haven’t you seen those surveillance videos? When the lead starts flying, it’s like Gazelles in the wild. Even after a mortal wound they make it outside the store and sometimes up the block.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    How can you base your results on actual street shootings? They are more varied and statistically uncontrolled than any possible lab setting.

While a decent caliber and high performing bullet is helpful, shot placement is key.
    The only round that probably shouldn't be carried for self defense is the higher velocity FMJ in the popular calibres because of their over penetration putting others in danger not knowing where the projectile is going after it leaves the intended target's body. Just about any hollow point in a reliable firearm and name brand factory ammo will suffice with proper shot placement. Some do better than others in ballistic gels and all that but the stopper shot is at center mass when it counts.

I got a good deal on 124gr Golden Saber ammo, it's not the highest rated ammo but it fires every time it's tried so there's a lot to be said for that. I've reloaded for many years but when I go out for the day the Golden Saber is what is in the magazines. When I carried my 357 it was semi jacketed 125 grain hollow points. I like Remington ammo especially the green and yellow box premium ammo.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

my 25acp,32acp,380acp fmj

my 22lr stingers

my 22mag has critical defense

my 9 has 115 criticle defense

my 38/357 130+p hst

my 44special/mag 220 sigsaur vcrown

these are my carry loads that i feel will best protect my life.

fmj/hard cast is carry for reloads for all of the above.

I do place larger heavier loads in the mag revolvers during hunting season.

(Bucks County)

HST, Golden Saber, and Gold Dots for the 9's, .40's and .45's.

Geco FMJ in the .32.

Primary carry is 124+P HST.

I've never been in a gun fight either, so what do I know?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast