Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Carrying through small stretch Of Maryland on I81

I have to drive her up in Jan. He car will be full of her stuff. We have a corporate apt for 3 months, then we’ll rent something for a year until we decide exactly where we want to live.

(Chester County)

If the speed limit on 81 is 65 or 70 just do the speed limit. If it's 55 you will look suspicious doing only 55. Just stay with the flow.

Make sure your tailights are functioning !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If you are really nervous, there are alternatives. At Winchester VA you can take US 522 N to PA and your exposure to MD is about two miles, but watch the reduced speed limit as you go thru MD. Or the Western alternatives. At Wytheville VA take I-77 to I-79 to I-70 in PA then East on I-76 (tolls) with a shortcut on US 19 in W VA if you wish. Alternately at Nashville TN, take I-65 North to I-64 to I-79 then as above. DO NOT take I-68 East out of W VA as that hits MD big time! On this route there is a KY Parkway (Bluegrass Pkwy) that cuts over at Elizabeth and goes thru Bourbon country so that could cause delays depending on your preferences (or not)
    ^^^this^^^
    Best advice
    Stay in WV to the PA line and skip MD completely.

(Adams County)

It looks like you could take I68 east, to exit 23, taking WV26 north which becomes PA281 at the WV/PA state line and never leave America at all. PA281 goes up to Somerset to meet PA31, I76, US219, and eventually US30 to get you pretty much anywhere you need to go in PA. A bit slower, may take a few more minutes, but you can decide if it's worth for the peace of mind.
    O(ld) F(at) & U(gly)

(Berks County)

The ride up I-77 at Wythville is a pretty ride through the mountains too, if that helps any.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Venango County)

As far as FOPA:

I never forget the story of the guy travelling via air with a legally carried firearm in his luggage. He missed a connecting flight and was put into a hotel overnight, IIRC. Somehow the fact he had a firearm became known and he was arrested because he was in NJ which is very strict.

So if you are driving, what could prevent a straight pass-through? Vehicle breakdown and they cannot get the part for 24-48 hours. You go to a motel to await the part. Now you are technically in violation of FOPA per the anti-state. Of course, being pro gun we think it silly. But they will run you through the legal ringer win or lose.

I would avoid any anti states, Why risk spending any money whatsoever in their state?

I don't recall the final outcome of the NJ case but I think they eventually reduced or removed the charges after a large outcry. But that is neither here nor there.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    As far as FOPA:

I never forget the story of the guy travelling via air with a legally carried firearm in his luggage. He missed a connecting flight and was put into a hotel overnight, IIRC. Somehow the fact he had a firearm became known and he was arrested because he was in NJ which is very strict.
    Because he retrieved his checked bag and took it, and the firearm, to the hotel with him. He'd have been fine if he'd have left the bag in the airlines custody.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    If it were me (I am not a lawyer, this is not advice) I would drive the extra hours necessary to not do it. The vast chance that one slips through unnoticed isn't worth the consequences if there's a problem. Especially with a 'large number' of firearms.

A friend of mine once accidentally left his pistol in his car on a trip down to BWI airport. He was a nervous wreck the whole trip back (after remembering it was in the glove box). The mental worry alone would be worth avoiding for me.

For myself, part of my reasoning would be the persistent rumors that MD State Cops can 'see' if a PA-plate driver has a PA LTCF and then target them for reasons to search if pulled over. Some have said they even scan plates "on the fly" and then pull over LTCF holders. It is, supposedly, particularly true on the shortest-through-MD routes (81, 522) where the most temptation to "just go for it" exists. PA drivers with LTCF have reported seemingly-spurious attempts to search their cars often enough I believe there's at least a grain of truth to it. Dunno if that's true for other states.

I'd check reciprocity for WV with my state's permit, but suspect it's a 'yes'. (I know it is for a PA permit.) Assuming "yes" I'd cut over I-64 to I-79 and up to I-76, skipping MD entirely.

More miles and time? Yes. I'd trade the inconvenience for peace of mind.
    I would take the time to avoid MD altogether.

(Berks County)

How's things going with the wife? You could stash them in her car and follow a mile or so behind.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast