Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Carrying through small stretch Of Maryland on I81

I will be moving from MS to PA in the spring. I noticed that I have to travel through a small stretch of Maryland. What would be the best advice in transporting a large number of guns through this state? I’m not sure how far across Maryland I have to go through on I81. I don’t plan on getting off of the interstate. I have a CCW from MS. Thanks

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Carrying through small stretch Of Maryland on I81

It's a 10 mile stretch on 81 thru Md from Va to Pa

store them properly

obey traffic laws

your permit don't mean shit in Md

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit. These restrictions on transportation do not apply to long guns.
    Last edited by middlefinger; December 3rd, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Montgomery County)

Transport them according to FOPA and white knuckle it while doing the speed limit exactly.

(Luzerne County)

Follow the FOPA (Firearm Owner's Protection Act) guidlines;

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another has a defense for any State firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment.[11]

This section has also been interpreted to protect air travel[12]

(Montgomery County)

Oh and don't volunteer ANY information if stopped

Welcome to PA!

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by John R.
    I will be moving from MS to PA in the spring. I noticed that I have to travel through a small stretch of Maryland. What would be the best advice in transporting a large number of guns through this state?
    Quote Originally Posted by 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    (Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)
    Quote Originally Posted by John R.
    I’m not sure how far across Maryland I have to go through on I81.
    According to Google Maps, following I81 N from the West Virginia/Maryland line to the Maryland/Pennsylvania line is 12 miles.

(Carbon County)

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
    A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from
    possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
    lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither
    the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove
    compartment or console.

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms:
    § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political
    subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
    or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
    may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry
    such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any
    ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment
    of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the
    driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove
    compartment or console.

Note: If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law.
    If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun
    even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (rang
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    I will be moving from MS to PA in the spring. I noticed that I have to travel through a small stretch of Maryland. What would be the best advice in transporting a large number of guns through this state? I’m not sure how far across Maryland I have to go through on I81. I don’t plan on getting off of the interstate. I have a CCW from MS. Thanks
    If it were me (I am not a lawyer, this is not advice) I would drive the extra hours necessary to not do it. The vast chance that one slips through unnoticed isn't worth the consequences if there's a problem. Especially with a 'large number' of firearms.

A friend of mine once accidentally left his pistol in his car on a trip down to BWI airport. He was a nervous wreck the whole trip back (after remembering it was in the glove box). The mental worry alone would be worth avoiding for me.

For myself, part of my reasoning would be the persistent rumors that MD State Cops can 'see' if a PA-plate driver has a PA LTCF and then target them for reasons to search if pulled over. Some have said they even scan plates "on the fly" and then pull over LTCF holders. It is, supposedly, particularly true on the shortest-through-MD routes (81, 522) where the most temptation to "just go for it" exists. PA drivers with LTCF have reported seemingly-spurious attempts to search their cars often enough I believe there's at least a grain of truth to it. Dunno if that's true for other states.

I'd check reciprocity for WV with my state's permit, but suspect it's a 'yes'. (I know it is for a PA permit.) Assuming "yes" I'd cut over I-64 to I-79 and up to I-76, skipping MD entirely.

More miles and time? Yes. I'd trade the inconvenience for peace of mind.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    According to Google Maps, following I81 N from the West Virginia/Maryland line to the Maryland/Pennsylvania line is 12 miles.
    It is but I wasn't going to bring it up, no biggie. I was a wanted man for non-moving violations in MD for the three year statute of limitations. I tip-toed through many a time but I didn't really like it. I'm thinking that you could scoot up through WV into western PA and avoid MD altogether too.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

PS - I don't dispute that it's technically legal, if everything's stored properly (and if everyone involved -agrees- they were stored properly... ignoring issues like an errant empty casing under a rear floormat that could blow the whole thing up...)

The 'consequences' I mentioned were more about lost time, legal expenses, hassle, etc. if found with them.
    DGAF

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast