Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Carrying through small stretch Of Maryland on I81

I travel farther west. It adds some time (minutes to hours) depending on where in PA you are headed, but you can go through WV and never enter the People's Republic of Maryland.

This is what I do.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

Is MD really that bad?

Going to VA in a week or so and had planned on bringing a firearm. But now I am paranoid,
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Only traveled once through Maryland with a firearm. Locked it up in the trunk, had no ammo since I was going to a range in VA, so I purchased it there. Then went home the same way. Stuck to I-95 to and fro with no stops, no nothing, so no problems.

On shakier ground. I had to travel to N. E. Phila. on an emergency one day. Had pistol with 12 rounds hollow points and 95 was shut down northbound due to an accident. Took my chances and got off at the Walt Whitman Bridge. It was broad daylight and a lot more traffic since everyone else was doing the same thing. Popped the destination in the phone and very carefully and smartly made my way up north until I was able to cross back over again at the nearest bridge. Never saw a cop and had no issue. Wont do that again, but just happy it went ok.

(Tioga County)

I travel through Maryland several times a month and follow FOPA law and the Maryland State Police guidelines.

I notice the I-81 stretch is heavily patrolled. In contrast around Baltimore and DC the focus seems to be keeping the traffic flowing, so issues that reduce the flow of traffic get attention. I've seen vehicles pulled over for clogging up the left lane.

I set my trip up to avoid stopping. I don't go too slow, too fast, don't have anything on my vehicle where I can be pulled for a vehicle equipment violation, don't have gun stickers on the car, don't have gun magazines laying about and keep all my information ready at hand if I was to be pulled over.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Is MD really that bad?

Going to VA in a week or so and had planned on bringing a firearm. But now I am paranoid,
    Don't sweat it. Adhere to federal regs and you are covered in the off chance you would be stopped and searched. Blend in with traffic (generally going 10-15MPH over the speed limit on 81). Stay in the right lane if you can, the cops sit in the median on 81, you probably won't even be noticed if you are in the right lane. If going through at night make sure all of your lights work. Don't do anything to get noticed (swerving between lanes, tailgating, etc).
    I live about 5 miles from the MD line at I-81, In 20+ years of living in this area I've traveled through there (armed and unarmed) more times than I can count. The only issue I've ever had was a week after I moved here (22 years ago) I got stopped and jacked up pretty good for transporting a firearm in my glovebox (an FOPA no-no). This was before I knew what dickheads Maryland cops can be. Now I know and now I stick to the above rules.
    The Hostler

I went to echo valley in WV few years back There was I think 15 mile stretch from PA thru MD, it was a white knuckle 15 miles It was around memorial day weekend the speed trap was every 3/4 mile, they were swarming in both directions. Right lane cruise control at 3 below speed limit between two semis and stayed there. I read something somewhere at the time about MD not recognizing FOPA ie treating FOPA as a valid defense to a gun charge meaning they'd drag you to court and then let you use FOPA as a defense in court. Again not saying the info is accurate just saying I was extra paranoid so my rifles, handguns were locked in cases with gun locks thru them. Empty mags were locked in separate cases, knife in separate case locked as well, ammo yet in separate cases privacy SUV cover over them. I probably amped myself up too much but still with the amount of the enforcement in MD not the experience I am looking forward on repeating.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567