Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default .357 Magnum, What do I need to know?

So somewhat unexpectedly I ended up purchasing one of my grail guns which happens to be chambered in .357 Magnum. I don't shoot revolvers much and don't have any experience with reloading revolver ammo or this particular chambering, so if anyone has any suggestions on dies, bullets, primers, powders, reloading tips, whatever it might be, I am all ears and open to suggestions as I know very little. Also I need to stock up on some factory ammo for brass so if you have any favorites on that, all ears. I have a lot of H110 and Lil Gun powder which it appears I can use.

I've only shot a few dozen rounds though it but so far enjoying it very much.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .357 Magnum, What do I need to know?

Sellier and bellot makes an fmj round. But typically I just shoot American eagle jsp if I am going to shoot .357 mag. More likely it'll be 38 special.

-Zach

(Lebanon County)

a hand book on reloading, will tell everything you to know in regards to reloading for it.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

You can shoot 38s in them. (wheel gun)

(Clarion County)

Some info on brand and model of revolver may help. Something like a Ruger GP100 can eat full loads all day long compared to a K frame S&W whose longevity will be enhanced by using milder practice loads.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Tioga County)

I thought about the .38 option but then I end up with two different kinds of brass to deal with so I will probably look to do some lighter loads with 357 brass.

Just bought some Herters(S&B) FMJ and Sig Sauer FMJ. Cabelas has the Herters on sale for $18.95 for 50 which seems good.

The revolver is a Manurhin MR73, so it can do full loads all day and all night long.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I thought about the .38 option but then I end up with two different kinds of brass to deal with so I will probably look to do some lighter loads with 357 brass.

Just bought some Herters(S&B) FMJ and Sig Sauer FMJ. Cabelas has the Herters on sale for $18.95 for 50 which seems good.

The revolver is a Manurhin MR73, so it can do full loads all day and all night long.
    Yes, but using 38 for the light loads, give you an instant visual on which is which. Long case = full load short case = light load Of course, the light loads should not exceed 38 specs to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by gghbi; December 3rd, 2017 at 11:17 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

H110 works great with a heavy bullet. But you need to load it to max and use a magnum primer for it to burn right. The max load -10% (then work up) rule does not apply for H110 or 296. Its max -3% and I get the best results at max or slightly over max.

(Tioga County)

I have some H110 that didn't work out for me with 300 Blackout so I would like to use it up. I'll grab some magnum primers for that.

Looks like Lil Gun is an option as well as Titegroup. Seems like there are a lot of options out there for powders and bullets.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I have some H110 that didn't work out for me with 300 Blackout so I would like to use it up. I'll grab some magnum primers for that.

Looks like Lil Gun is an option as well as Titegroup. Seems like there are a lot of options out there for powders and bullets.
    Did you use a max load of H110 in your BO? If not you should retry it. And use a Mag primer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast