Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default What is Smith & Wesson trying to do?

I just bought a new S&W Model 986. This machine is touted as a "Pro Series" from the Performance Center. Well several years ago I bought a Pro Series 627 and the thing is great! Right out of the box it was a winner! The trigger wasn't as light as my old S&W revolvers, but it was smooth, very usable and needed no special attention. Consequently I thought the 986 would be the same. Oh brother, was I due for a disappointment! Both SA and DA trigger pull was hard! Not just heavy, but uncomfortably so! DA the revolver seemed to stage OK, BUT the pressure to actually fire once staged seemed to increase! In SA just setting the hammer was a two step chore! Drag the hammer back to a stop the apply more pressure to get past some sort of unknown "ridge" to complete cocking. To add to the insult I found the rear sight loose in its channel. The screw that holds it in place wasn't fully seated and the entire sight could be wiggled in any direction with light finger pressure. At least that I could fix myself.

I'm trying to compose a letter to S&W to explain my objections but so far I'm having trouble getting past "Shove as far as it'll go, sideways" and "I'll never buy another new S&W."

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What is Smith & Wesson trying to do?

ask Emptymag... he's good with words when unhappy with someone's service or business practice

Not trying to be a jerk but didn't you pull the trigger, test the function, and inspect before you purchased it? If you ordered it and had it shipped to an FFL you could refuse it and have it sent back before taking ownership of a problem from the start. S&W makes excellent revolvers and like every other company they too have their issues with duds in the bunch even off the performance center line. They have excellent customer service I would call them explain your concerns and they will issue you a return label and send it back to them for evaluation and repair.

(Delaware County)

I was not happy regarding the gritty trigger pull of a M&P pistol. This was not custom shop. I simply called their customer service line, in turn I was sent a shipping label. The firearm was sent back and fixed. No charge, no hassle ...

(Bucks County)

Unless things have changed, manufacturers have so much confidence in their manufacturing methods, their final inspection might be of only 10 percent of what gets shipped. That's how an occasional bad one gets out. Hodgie gives good advice... the final inspector is the receiver.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I just bought a new S&W Model 986. This machine is touted as a "Pro Series" from the Performance Center. Well several years ago I bought a Pro Series 627 and the thing is great! Right out of the box it was a winner! The trigger wasn't as light as my old S&W revolvers, but it was smooth, very usable and needed no special attention. Consequently I thought the 986 would be the same. Oh brother, was I due for a disappointment! Both SA and DA trigger pull was hard! Not just heavy, but uncomfortably so! DA the revolver seemed to stage OK, BUT the pressure to actually fire once staged seemed to increase! In SA just setting the hammer was a two step chore! Drag the hammer back to a stop the apply more pressure to get past some sort of unknown "ridge" to complete cocking. To add to the insult I found the rear sight loose in its channel. The screw that holds it in place wasn't fully seated and the entire sight could be wiggled in any direction with light finger pressure. At least that I could fix myself.

I'm trying to compose a letter to S&W to explain my objections but so far I'm having trouble getting past "Shove as far as it'll go, sideways" and "I'll never buy another new S&W."
    You have to call first and setup a return. They will fix it and get it back in short order.

(Indiana County)

I bought a new Stealth Hunter a few years ago.
    After a couple cylinders the front sight fell off.
    (Ironically the same damn thing happened to someone else I personally know)
    I sent it back.
    They fixed it and scratched the black finish in the process.

I sold it, and I’ll never buy a new S&W again.