Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Word of wisdom from a deer processor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Your last sentence is the key . Now if everyone thought that no one would bitch when it's time to pick their deer meat up after it was processed and the general reason I posted . A lot of guys and gals only see the little hole in the hide and that's it not having the slightest idea what nastiness lies beneath the hide .

And about taking out the fillets and backstraps or else they will vanish . Well that may happen some places I'm sure , but I'm not not ever gonna risk a job I've had for many years and good money near xmass time not to mention a lot of very very bad karma headed my way for a few lbs of deer meat ! No way no how ! And I treat processing others game same as I would if it were my own .
    The primary reason I process my own deer is because I want my deer, all of it. Nothing missing, or being mixed with someone else's gut shot deer (from ground/processed cuts). Glad to hear you are respectful of others hard work. I personally know someone that worked at a large processor, who hasn't hunted in decades, yet always had nice venison cuts, jerky, and meat sticks a plenty during the season. Made me ill seeing it. If you cut up a couple dozen deer a day it's easy to walk out with a small handful every day. That adds up to a lot real quick.

It's a hell of a lot more work doing it myself, in fact I need to get to it today, but it's worth it, and rewarding. Shooting a deer is the easy part.
    Last edited by God's Country; December 8th, 2017 at 02:54 PM.

I hunted with a guide up in Canada who said (In a heavy French accent) "See deer,shoot deer,kill deer,butcher deer,eat deer....simple." (I wish Frenchie was still here. He would appreciate it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    This request is predicated on the notion that the hunter is capable of placing the shot in a specific area of his choice. I'd like to know what percentage of hunters can actually do that.
    YO!
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

I usually shoot for the eye or ear hole. I only hunt with a Glock 20 so I try to keep my shots under 300 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I usually shoot for the eye or ear hole. I only hunt with a Glock 20 so I try to keep my shots under 300 yards.
    That's way too much gun for deer. Not to mention follow up shots, if needed.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    That's way too much gun for deer. Not to mention follow up shots, if needed.
    That's just for day time hunting. Nocturnal spotlight hunting I use a dropping breach lock j.c. higgens 22 single shot. Usually go for the nostral shot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Frangible ammo like they used in Mt. Lebanon?
    Last edited by 27hand; December 8th, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Frangible ammo like they used in My Lebanon?
    Yeah, in Mt. Lebanon we usually try to funnel the deer into a pre approved kill zone. We got 2 last year. 20 we're killed by cars on Cochran road. Schneiderlochner says hello.

(Philadelphia County)

Some may not think it’s the most ethical shot but I really do like the higher neck shots drops them with minimal meat loss imho but not 100% I will do it all day on meat does but take the traditional double lung shot with a big buck I’m talking rifle hunting btw

(Allegheny County)

My FIL took a stroke this year on Thanksgiving Weekend. I always butcher my own. This year, given the current health situation of my immediate family, I took my buck, and first Sat doe, to a local processer. I believe I got my own meat. Small shop. Small volume. Trustworthy guys. My second deer, the doe, I banged her good in the lungs (at around 100 yards through the woods), she took off and I wasn't confident how she responded to the shot. I took a second shot and hit her bad. Did a little meat damage.

The meat I received directly affected how I shot the deer.

I feel if you go to a mom and pops processor, your most likely going to get what you deserve.

That said, this is my first year ever paying someone to do my deer but it was such a positive experience I will gladly take my deer back to this butcher again in 2F. Time constraints due to family health issues prevented me doing my own and I stumbled onto a fine and honest deer processor in the meantime.

Still however, my biggest concerns are:

- I double lung, clean, ice, and take care of my harvest.
    - You gut shot, cut the intestines or bladder up gutting, etc, drag through stagnant water, etc.

What happens when your illy prepared deer goes through the grinder before mine? This is why we always have done our own previous to this year.

If you don't sliver the butthole out, or don't ice it on a warmer day, or gutshot it and don't clean it, or bust the bladder and don't rinse, etc then let it stand for a day or two ... I don't want my meat run through the grinder right behind your sloppy lazy hunter junk meat.
    My favorite search engine google.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast