Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default Which one should I get( Savage 338 Lapua).

Hello everyone, I was looking at buying the Ba stealth but I really for once do not know which model to get. I want a Savage due to the price. I do not plan on hunting with this gun , just bench shooting at my local club. Which of the Savage models would you buy or have already purchased. Thanks you for any input and information.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Which one should I get( Savage 338 Lapua).

I have a 110 with the hs precision stock. I don’t like the look of the stealth or the ba. It made my choice easy but the prices are better on the others.

(Chester County)

I really hope you've got at the very least 1km at your range. Otherwise, you're just pissing away money with the Lapua round. Inside 1km, cheaper rounds will perform just as well if not better! 6.5CM, .260 Rem, hell even .308 and .30-06 will shoot well within 1km.

No reason to be tossing $2.50 down range every time you pull the trigger if you don't have to.

To also not answer your original question: I wouldn't buy a Savage. I had a rather poor experience with the one I had (I know, I know, sample size of one). The guy simply wouldn't group, even after using time-tested rounds like FGMM.

If you HAVE to have a 338LM, my vote would go to something akin to a Tikka T3.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

I love Savage probably more than anyone else on this forum...that being said, I'd never buy a Savage 338LM...they have had some issue with the bolt/action...especially if used with Hornady brass/ammo.

If you cannot buy a good rifle chambered in 338LM, you cannot afford to shoot it...trust me on this fact. Don't even think about the Remington 338LM either.

You should be looking at the Sako TRG 42 or having a rifle built...you are looking $3-4k range.

If you are handy, I would buy find a used Stevens 200 and build your rifle. You can upgrade parts on Savage rifles and it's very simple to do yourself. You don't need a ton of tools, but you will need a barrel wrench, action vice and GO gauges to verify headspace.

(Bucks County)

I have a Savage 338LM, full name 110 FCP HS Precision. It shoots well with Lapua brass at $2.75 per case, and I wouldn't use any other brass. Load is 300gr Berger bullet ($0.69) over 90gr N570 ($0.49) sparked by Win LRM primers ($0.035). That's $1.21 per round plus somewhere between 28 and 70 cents for the brass depending on the number of reloads it will tolerate. But $1.50-$2.00 per shot is cheap compared to good factory ammo that will run $4-$6 per round.

The recoil is obnoxious, even though that Savage is pretty heavy . . . the entire rig with 3lb scope goes about 12 pounds. The good news is you won't want to shoot that many rounds anyhow lol . . . without wearing something like a Past Recoil pad. An old man here, the recoil doesn't pain the shoulder as much as it rocks my entire spine without that pad. Almost like a bad trip to a chiropractor

Unless you have a specific hunting purpose, I suspect the 338LM is completely unnecessary at 1200yds or under. A 30-06 will reach that far with 2/3s the recoil . . . many other calibers will do that with even less recoil.

Why did I buy the 338LM? After success at to 1200yds with my 30-06, I missed 4 shots at one mile. The 338LM load is still supersonic at 1 mile, at 2500'.

ETA: If for any reason you are serious about the 338LM - as mentioned above - I would not recommend a Savage. I never expected to shoot more than 300-500 rounds from the 338LM, and I wanted to keep my lifetime cost per shot to a "reasonable" number.
    Last edited by Twoboxer; December 1st, 2017 at 05:11 AM.

(Armstrong County)

AI for a turn key gun.
    Or
    Surgeon action, bartline (or a few others, go all in and get a proof research) barrel, McMillan stock, huber trigger, and of course quality glass
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50