Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Your choice in PA: 2A or medical marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    My point was a lot of pharmaceuticals are extremely toxic even at therapeutic doses, yet legal. MJ, while not perfect is leaps and bounds safer than many things your doctor will Rx you.
    Fair enough. But that's how the cookie crumbles. If you want legal MJ, then fund a massive controlled study and get it through the FDA with positive results AND make the necessary campaign contributions to key lawmakers. I mean, damn, it ain't rocket science.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Fair enough. But that's how the cookie crumbles. If you want legal MJ, then fund a massive controlled study and get it through the FDA with positive results AND make the necessary campaign contributions to key lawmakers. I mean, damn, it ain't rocket science.
    Yes thats right.
    But having informative discussions with other people who care about personal liberty is part of the process.
    I thought that's what we were doing here.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Allegheny County)

Yes thats right. But having informative discussions with other people who care about personal liberty is part of the process. I thought that's what we were doing here.
    Well, you get no argument from me there. I think it should be 100% legal for any eligible person* to consume, snort, inject, imbibe, insert, inhale, intake, absorb or otherwise become one with any substance they desire and can obtain without infringing on the rights of others - unless they have self-exluded**. Sadly, most people are opposed to this level of freedom.

* excludes non-adults, mentally incompetent, prisoners, etc.
    ** have signed a contract of some kind (e.g. military, etc.) forgoing this freedom.

(Indiana County)

Capitulation?
    Thats like telling gun owners in NJ, MD and CA "if you dont want the state violating your 2nd Amendment, then dont own any guns"
    Medical MJ does have its uses and in many cases is a better alternative to pharmaceuticals for many ailments.
    I could write a book on the insane things that go on in Pharmaceutical manufacturing.

I personally have made various SSRI's that corrodes stainless steel where I used to work. Imagine what that does to peoples GI tract. But society seems to think thats acceptable.
    Weed is illegal.

Until it is not, if you don’t want the cops knowing you have guns, don’t want the state keeping you from owning guns, don’t use the wacky weed.

Like it or not, the people are supposed to elect people who will represent their wishes, as f now, the people have elected people who at a federal level say no to pot.

So...if you have to undergo a criminal background check to get a prescription for marijuana filled, why don't you have to go through a criminal background check to get a prescription for any OTHER schedule 1 drug filled?? What possible rationalization for this can there be, that is also logical and reasonable?
    Because you can't get a prescription for any other Schedule I drugs as, by definition, they have 'no accepted medical use'. Marijuana is the only Schedule I drug that has been legalized in certain jurisdictions.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    Because you can't get a prescription for any other Schedule I drugs as, by definition, they have 'no accepted medical use'. Marijuana is the only Schedule I drug that has been legalized in certain jurisdictions.
    Well - according to the U.S. Government anyway. Other governments recognize an accepted medical use and allow prescriptions for at least some S1 drugs.

FWIW, MDMA (ecstasy) is close to being approved by the FDA. That'll be fun (:

In ANY case, if a State Government allows medical pot, because as far as it is concerned, there is an acceptable medical use, it makes no sense for it to require a background check when it doesn't require such a check for other prescription drugs. It is ALREADY ignoring the Federal Law, so the fact that the FG has it listed as an S1 drug should be irrelevant in this regard.

(Monroe County)

Well - according to the U.S. Government anyway. Other governments recognize an accepted medical use and allow prescriptions for at least some S1 drugs.

FWIW, MDMA (ecstasy) is close to being approved by the FDA. That'll be fun (:

In ANY case, if a State Government allows medical pot, because as far as it is concerned, there is an acceptable medical use, it makes no sense for it to require a background check when it doesn't require such a check for other prescription drugs. It is ALREADY ignoring the Federal Law, so the fact that the FG has it listed as an S1 drug should be irrelevant in this regard.
    Yes but if I remember it was adminstered by the psychiatrist at the session and a long intervals and it's 3 years away. Then add most states are getting on board with the perscription drug monitering progran so script and doctor shopping will be less likely.

Don't think this has been posted.

The PSP position

http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-infor...nformation.asp
    Information for Medical Marijuana Cardholders:

It is legal under Pennsylvania law for the holder of a validly issued patient Medical Marijuana Card to possess approved forms of medical marijuana. However, as per the United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) state legalization of medical marijuana is not recognized by the federal government;, and possession of a valid Medical Marijuana Card and/or the use of medical marijuana defines you an “unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance”; and, therefore, prohibited by Federal law from the purchase or acquisition, possession or control of a firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3), and 27 C.F.R. § 478.32(a)(3).

The BATFE’s statement is set forth in its September 21, 2011, Open Letter to all Federal Firearms Licensees, which states in part that “[t]herefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.” Click here for a copy of the Open Letter. Likewise, the mere possession of a Medical Marijuana Card will give rise to an inference that you are an “unlawful user of or addicted to” a controlled substance, pursuant to 27 C.F.R. § 478.11.

If you are holder of a Medical Marijuana Card, it is important that you know:

• It is unlawful for you to attempt to purchase a firearm under Federal law and you will be denied during your Pennsylvania State Police background check, due to prohibitions under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3).
    • It is unlawful under federal law for you to keep possession of any firearms which you owned or had in your possession prior to obtaining a medical marijuana card, and we recommend that you consult an attorney if you have any questions about your firearms. Again, this is due to prohibitions under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(3).
    • It is also unlawful for you to apply for, possess or renew a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearm (LTC), because you are “[a]n individual who is prohibited from possessing or acquiring a firearm under the statutes of the United States.” (see above). The sheriff should not process your application if you truthfully indicate to the sheriff that you are the holder of a Medical Marijuana Card. Additionally, you will be denied during the Pennsylvania State Police background check, which occurs as part of the LTC application or renewal process.
    In case anyone thinks it's a good idea to lie on the form you may as well be lying about a felony conviction. You will be treated the same.

(Wayne County)

I choose the 2A...no interest in mary jane. Heck, I quit regular cigs 4 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Don't think this has been posted.

The PSP position

http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-infor...nformation.asp

In case anyone thinks it's a good idea to lie on the form you may as well be lying about a felony conviction. You will be treated the same.
    IMO, keeps the black market going strong.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast