Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Exclamation Your choice in PA: 2A or medical marijuana

Medical marijuana is supposed to be available to patients in Pennsylvania by the end of the first quarter of 2018.
    However, under a bizarre provision of the law, patients who use medical marijuana will be disqualified from owning firearms.
    My name is Sam and I'm a reporter at the Philadelphia Inquirer. This forum has been a great help to me in the past, especially when writing about "assault weapons."
    I'm hoping there might be a few of you who might talk to me about this issue. If you feel you need medical cannabis, is it worth surrendering your 2A rights?
    Are there other meds that require a similar sacrifice?
    Please write me at samwood@phillynews.com or call 215 854 2796. Other stories on the new law can be found at www.philly.com/cannabis. I think this is a story that needs to be told. Your voices will be the most important part of it.
    Thanks,
    Sam

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Your choice in PA: 2A or medical marijuana

Please remember that the forms required for background checks are federal, not state. Marijuana remains a prohibited substance at the federal level. One cannot habitually use marijuana and sign a background check form without committing perjury.

I'm not making an argument for either side, but rather stating the situation as is stands now.

(Berks County)

It's not a bizarre provision. States are going against federal law. Pot is a federal schedule 1 drug, meaning the fed sees no medical use for it and finds it harmful. Federal law prohibits users of marijuana from having second amendment rights. Gun laws and marijuana laws have one thing in common. Racists were making laws aimed at "negro people" and never gave one thought or consideration that these laws would ever effect themselves. Same type and party of people are pushing more rights restrictions and using marijuana's status as a fool's bate. They do not care one iota about sick people. What other human right is subject to such vagrancy? None!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    It's not a bizarre provision. States are going against federal law. Pot is a federal schedule 1 drug, meaning the fed sees no medical use for it and finds it harmful. Federal law prohibits users of marijuana from having second amendment rights. Gun laws and marijuana laws have one thing in common. Racists were making laws aimed at "negro people" and never gave one thought or consideration that these laws would ever effect themselves. Same type and party of people are pushing more rights restrictions and using marijuana's status as a fool's bate. They do not care one iota about sick people. What other human right is subject to such vagrancy? None!
    Exactly. Police in Hawaii just notified medical marijuana users that they have 30 days to turn in all off their guns and ammo. It seems that they are fine with ignoring the Federal drug law, but firearms is a whole different story. Hawaii's action is based upon an ATF letter of 2011 and a subsequent ruling upholding it by - c'mon, can you guess? - The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. The left is not just hypocritical, it is calculating and purposeful. Any "freedom" they're pushing has some strings attached that grows government power and furthers the leftist agenda. The Dumbofuques fall for it hook, line and sinker.

What about jobs that require drug testing? I work as in independent contractor and sometimes have to submit to testing to work on any big money project or any Federal government projects, or go anywhere near a nuclear power plant.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Armstrong County)

I have epilepsy, so I have one of the conditions that Pennsylvania allows medical cannabis for.

Even without taking away my 2A rights, I'm not interested in it. Now I REAPLY don't want any part of it.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    Exactly. Police in Hawaii just notified medical marijuana users that they have 30 days to turn in all off their guns and ammo. It seems that they are fine with ignoring the Federal drug law, but firearms is a whole different story. Hawaii's action is based upon an ATF letter of 2011 and a subsequent ruling upholding it by - c'mon, can you guess? - The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. The left is not just hypocritical, it is calculating and purposeful. Any "freedom" they're pushing has some strings attached that grows government power and furthers the leftist agenda. The Dumbofuques fall for it hook, line and sinker.

What about jobs that require drug testing? I work as in independent contractor and sometimes have to submit to testing to work on any big money project or any Federal government projects, or go anywhere near a nuclear power plant.
    Don't forget, Hawaii has a gun registry, so they know all the legal gun owners names and addresses.

(Lancaster County)

I always find it tragically ironic how little the government thinks of legal opiods compared to how much a warpath it goes on against a damn plant.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Delaware County)

I expect to be able to legally enjoy both, simultaneously, within the next 7 years, and in public inside of twelve.
    Junior

(York County)

What exactly is the concern? That some crazed "reefer madness" sort will go shoot up some place while high? (people who think so must have never met a stoner). How is saying "get (legal) medical pot, lose your LTCF because it could potentially cause a problem if you are irresponsible and abuse it" any different from saying "Buy a bottle of wine, lose your driver's license"?

What other rights should be precluded? If you get medical marijuana, should you be prevented from voting? What if you go vote while high? Should you be precluded from free speech? What if you say things while high? From free assembly? Should you be subject to on-demand search and seizure? I mean... you've got (legal) pot, so goodness knows what other juicy things you have...

Beyond rights, what about privileges and participations? If you get legal medical marijuana, should you be restricted from public assistance or housing? Lose your medicaid or food stamps?

I understand the rationale for illegal activities abrogating rights, e.g. Felons can't (currently) vote or carry firearms. I think there's a lot of overreach there, but at least I get the rationale. I certainly get the rationale for illegal activity precluding directly-related mere privileges - Example: Driving while intoxicated (illegal) can preclude your privilege to drive (related). But we don't take away your driver's license just because you bought some alcohol...

So what's the case for legal medical marijuana precluding non-directly-related rights? Is there another example of a -legal- activity broadly abrogating one's rights? I can't think of one offhand.

Bottom line: The notion of -legal- activities precluding rights (not even privileges) is a step too far, I think.
    Last edited by KCJones; December 1st, 2017 at 01:41 AM.
    DGAF

So what's the case for legal medical marijuana precluding non-directly-related rights? Is there another example of a -legal- activity broadly abrogating one's rights? I can't think of one offhand.

I truly believe they are hoping that people are dumb enough that they would be willing to trade a fundamental right for a few hours of being high a day, and I'm sure there are a number of stoners who would happily do so.

In some cases people use pot before bed just to get a good night's sleep rather then dangerous sleeping pills, anti anxiety, and pain killers. Now those people looking for a better nights sleep cannot be trusted by the state even though they chose a much safer non habitat forming natural way to medicate during their sleep.

Regardless if pot is legal for medicinal or recreational use there will always be a black market for it because of government schemes.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast