Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jerry Lewis caught with gun at airport; charges dismissed.

Nevada judge dismisses gun case against Jerry Lewis

LAS VEGAS - A Las Vegas judge has dismissed a firearms charge against entertainer Jerry Lewis. Las Vegas Justice Court Judge Karen Bennett-Haron dismissed the case Friday after attorneys agreed to let the 82-year-old comedian off without fines.

Lewis was cited in July for attempting to carry an unloaded concealed weapon through McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.

He later said the weapon was a gift that he'd placed in a carry-on bag more than a year ago. He said he forgot it was in the bag until he was stopped at an airport security checkpoint.

Lewis' lawyer, Ross Goodman, says Lewis was forced to surrender the engraved gun. Goodman calls the quick resolution "a good result for great guy."
    =================================================
    Yeah it was wrong for him to have the gun going thru the checkpoint, but it was unloaded. They should have made arrangements for him to get it back; from the looks of the story, they kept this engraved gun he got as a gift.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Jerry Lewis caught with gun at airport; charges dismissed.

And that's how it should be. It was a simple mistake by a guy with no intent. I bet he never gets his property back. THAT is the crime.

(Lehigh County)

An 82 year old Jewish comic packin'? Won't somebody think of the kids?

/comedy gold!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    And that's how it should be. It was a simple mistake by a guy with no intent. I bet he never gets his property back. THAT is the crime.
    I bet thats NOT how it would go for you or I. Although it most certainly should be. But since this guys famous, and has what I'm sure is a powerhouse lawyer,and no judge in America wants to jail the Great Jerry Lewis he gets off totally. Again the final result is the one I like to see happen in these situations, it's just the fact that if it was an ordinary citizen I doubt it would have gone so smooth.

Dave
    3%

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I bet thats NOT how it would go for you or I. Although it most certainly should be. But since this guys famous, and has what I'm sure is a powerhouse lawyer,and no judge in America wants to jail the Great Jerry Lewis he gets off totally. Again the final result is the one I like to see happen in these situations, it's just the fact that if it was an ordinary citizen I doubt it would have gone so smooth.

Dave
    In France they would have given him back the gun and gifted him a holster.

/(rimshot)

(York County)

" I bet if I was HITLER you would have given me my father back" Billy Crystal.

Dave
    3%

(Lackawanna County)

I agree, if it were one of us things would have gone very differently. Yes, it was handled well by all but it was only done that way because he's famous. A nobody like me would have spent a year in jail or worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post

Dave
    I can attest that it does not go as smoothly for the "regular" people here in Nevada. I too was arrested for a pistol that I had forgotten that I had put into my bag in late December, 2007. I was detained in 2008 at McCarran Airport, just prior to Mr. Lewis be "detained." I went to Clark County Detention Center and was released 2 days later, "OR'd" as I had never had anything more than a traffic ticket in my previous years of living. I had a trigger guard on my pistol and no ammunition with me. I ended up missing my plane, Mr. Lewis didn't, I spent the rest of 2008 until January 2009, in and out of court, the charge was finally reduced to criminal mischief, which I took along with 50 hours community service. I had to pay the TSA $2500.00 in fines, my attorney and court cost were over $7,000, and if you add in the cost of flying back and forth to make my court dates, 4 that I can remember, I paid just over $15,000.00 to defend myself in this matter.
    If you were here in Nevada at that time, the case against Jerry Lewis was reported that he was carrying a loaded 22 caliber pistol in his jacket pocket, this information is off of his "arrest report". Mr Lewis was detained long enough to answer questions, receive a ticket, and was allowed to board his plane sans the pistol. The article mentions that Mr. Lewis had all charges dropped. I am guessing that I should have had Mr. Goodman as my attorney.

Skyhawk627

(Delaware County)

That it would / does not go that way for the average Joe doesn't change the fact that it should. I'm still glad Jerry got off and I'm unhappy that others do not.

(Bucks County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast