Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Apply for concealed carry permit question

Hey all,

I am a PA resident, own a few pistols and am in no way prohibited from owning a gun, In fact i just picked up a very nice Kimber raptor II last week. Anyway seems like the PICS check is the same for buying a firearm as it is for CCP. Just curious if its still that way or if they sheriff uses another data base.

Also is Self-defense a valid reason to put down on the application, i have been told that is not a valid reason to issue but wasn't sure since its on the app, Feedback welcome on this please.

Last but not lease does the sheriff actually need to be present in the office to issue a CCP or can his staff issue if he is not physically in the office, (parking isn't cheap and i don't want to waste money & Time)

appreciate any feedback on the the questions-thanks guys.

(Lehigh County)

Cool Re: Apply for concealed carry permit question

Quote Originally Posted by USAJOE View Post
    Hey all,

I am a PA resident, own a few pistols and am in no way prohibited from owning a gun, In fact i just picked up a very nice Kimber raptor II last week. Anyway seems like the PICS check is the same for buying a firearm as it is for CCP. Just curious if its still that way or if they sheriff uses another data base.

Same PICs check, I don't think Lackawanna county is a pain for LTCF (License To Carry Firearms)

Also is Self-defense a valid reason to put down on the application, i have been told that is not a valid reason to issue but wasn't sure since its on the app, Feedback welcome on this please.

Don't know who told you that but I have been using that for forty years of permits.

Last but not lease does the sheriff actually need to be present in the office to issue a CCP or can his staff issue if he is not physically in the office, (parking isn't cheap and i don't want to waste money & Time)

Sheriff is the 'Issuing Authority', he does not personally have to get involved.

Replies above in bold! The only question is if you own pistols, what took you so long to apply? It makes life a lot less complicated, even if you do not carry everyday. Make yourself familiar with the rules.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Apply for concealed carry permit question

Hey all,
    Howdy!
    The PICS check is the same. That said, the Sheriff is tasked with an "investigation", which *can* be more involved (i.e. calling your references, checking in with your local PD, etc...). *That* said, many sheriffs (including yours, IIRC) just use PICS.
    If you intend to carry (realistically, even if you don't) Self-defense is the best response. Anyone who says it's not valid - when it's on the application - is speaking out of their 4th point of contact...
    The signature on *my* LTCF is digitally printed (and tiny). I can't say 100% that they don't need to actually be present, but some counties have satellite locations that don't likely have the sheriff in-house while issuing. As for parking, some of us have no choice but to go multiple times - once to apply, once to pick up, so...
    Since you're new here, I'll let you know nice-like:

License To Carry Firearms (LTCF) =/= CCP (Concealed Carry Pistol/Permit). NOWHERE on the LTCF will you find any variant of the word "Conceal". Some here are a bit ... picky ... about terminology.

(Franklin County)

The same PICS system is used, but the standards ARE different. It is absolutely possible to be able to legally own firearms, yet be legally disqualified from obtaining a LTCF, and fail the PICS check for that.

Any chance you have drug charges in your past?

(Lackawanna County)

NO, I have never had any charges.

(Lackawanna County)

Thank you and i appreciate the advise, sorry for the mix up with terminology.

NO, I have never had any charges.
    Then barring any ID mix-up (it has happened) , you should be good to go.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Luzerne County)

Don’t know who told you that self-defense was not a valid reason for issuance of the LTCF, but they are talking out their blow hole! If anything.....self-defense would be the prime reason for getting one!

And, it really doesn’t matter what “reason” is checked, the LTCF is good for any and all reasons. In fact, I’ve heard that if something other that self-defense is checked, when the sheriff’s department issues the license, they change the reason to self-defense.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Don’t know who told you that self-defense was not a valid reason for issuance of the LTCF, but they are talking out their blow hole! If anything.....self-defense would be the prime reason for getting one!

And, it really doesn’t matter what “reason” is checked, the LTCF is good for any and all reasons. In fact, I’ve heard that if something other that self-defense is checked, when the sheriff’s department issues the license, they change the reason to self-defense.
    If for some reason self defense is not checked, and the license is issued as-applied, it is *possible* that some states that have different sorts of licenses might not accept yours for carry.

Hearsay and apocryphal, most likely, but why chance it?

(Jefferson County)

The same system(PICS) is used for background checks, but when the sheriff(or his representative) provides his/her ID numbers - the system adjusts for the the slightly more strict requirements for the LTCF.

Self-Defense/Protection is a legit reason. But whatever is put on the LTCF doesn't limit you to that purpose. Self-Defense/Protection is more of a catch-all.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast