Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Is a Utah or Arizona license still worth it?

A little background first:
    We're planning a family trip for this summer to Arizona to visit family and see some of the various canyon parks along the way. So I decided to check the map at USACarry.com to see where my LTCF is recognized along my route, and where it's not.

So, looking at the map, it seems our PA LTCF is recognized through quite a large swath of the country, and most of the states I'll be traveling through (I'm not counting on National Reciprocity to pass before then). I was debating applying for a Utah license before the trip, so I plugged it into the map along with my PA one, and to my surprise, there wasn't much difference in reciprocity - only four states. And none of which I would be traveling through (specifically NM and IL).

So I then plugged in AZ in addition to PA, and again, only a four state difference. While it does give me NM (which we would like to stop in), still no IL (no surprise there..).

After looking at the map, and the various configurations using additional states licenses on top of our PA one, it occurs to me that we are recognized over a good portion of the US. So the question is, for the average person, is Utah or Arizona's licenses still really necessary for PA residents these days? I know more protection is better of course, but it seems like we have it pretty good.

PA_Utah_map.jpg

Default Re: Is a Utah or Arizona license still worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    A little background first:
    We're planning a family trip for this summer to Arizona to visit family and see some of the various canyon parks along the way. So I decided to check the map at USACarry.com to see where my LTCF is recognized along my route, and where it's not.

So, looking at the map, it seems our PA LTCF is recognized through quite a large swath of the country, and most of the states I'll be traveling through (I'm not counting on National Reciprocity to pass before then). I was debating applying for a Utah license before the trip, so I plugged it into the map along with my PA one, and to my surprise, there wasn't much difference in reciprocity - only four states. And none of which I would be traveling through (specifically NM and IL).

So I then plugged in AZ in addition to PA, and again, only a four state difference. While it does give me NM (which we would like to stop in), still no IL (no surprise there..).

After looking at the map, and the various configurations using additional states licenses on top of our PA one, it occurs to me that we are recognized over a good portion of the US. So the question is, for the average person, is Utah or Arizona's licenses still really necessary for PA residents these days? I know more protection is better of course, but it seems like we have it pretty good.

PA_Utah_map.jpg
    Do you plan on going to NV. Also AZ will allow you to carry in National Parks in AZ

(Delaware County)

In no particular order:

1. I regularly (once or twice a month) travel into Delaware for matches, and often stop at Cabelas on my way home. Either UT or AZ make this possible, while "PA only" does not.

2. Keep in mind that you may car-carry in IL - just DON'T get out of the car with it. Use the poofa search function for details.

3. Avoiding both MD (especially from your area) and IL on a trip of that length wouldn't add a proportionally significant number of miles, but avoiding NM when travelling to AZ could/would, so having AZ would be helpful.

4. If memory serves, UT is cheaper to get and to renew.

5. I got both my UT and AZ almost 5 years ago from the same instructor(s). I don't know if that's an option on the west coast of PA.

IANAL

P.S. - Some SC politician (AG?) has signed on to a document promoting National Reciprocity. Odd that he doesn't push for it in his own state. Would make a drive to FL more pleasant...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    Do you plan on going to NV. Also AZ will allow you to carry in National Parks in AZ
    I'm still early on in my research, but...

Nevada allows open carry, and I believe (but still have to verify) that NV allows a loaded handgun in a car, as long as it is not concealed on my person. Don't know if we will be there or not, but Vegas is not specifically in the plans.

I know AZ has constitutional carry. Do they require anything specific for National Parks? Also, in an area (such as a place that serves alcohol) I know they require a permit (as long as none is consumed), but does AZ specifically recognize PA's LTCF?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    In no particular order:

1. I regularly (once or twice a month) travel into Delaware for matches, and often stop at Cabelas on my way home. Either UT or AZ make this possible, while "PA only" does not.

2. Keep in mind that you may car-carry in IL - just DON'T get out of the car with it. Use the poofa search function for details.

3. Avoiding both MD (especially from your area) and IL on a trip of that length wouldn't add a proportionally significant number of miles, but avoiding NM when travelling to AZ could/would, so having AZ would be helpful.

5. I got both my UT and AZ almost 5 years ago from the same instructor(s). I don't know if that's an option on the west coast of PA.

IANAL

P.S. - Some SC politician (AG?) has signed on to a document promoting National Reciprocity. Odd that he doesn't push for it in his own state. Would make a drive to FL more pleasant...
    1. I rarely head east, so normally DE isn't even on my radar. But it's a valid point to consider.

2. I just read that on another search. Seems similar to SC in that regards.

3. My end of the state, it's pretty easy to avoid MD, which I regularly do... and I'm considering avoiding IL if at all possible as well. Like you said though, NM isn't as easy, and we would like to stop there. Luckily, NM allows open carry, as well as car carry, according to what I've been able to find so far.

4. Haven't checked priced yet. That's in the next few days here.

5. Classes come up somewhere around here about once a month. I'll be checking into them soon, but with Christmas around the corner, footing the bill might be a bit tough.

Thanks for the input though!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    In no particular order:

IANAL

Let me clarify on that a little further since I travel to AZ 3-4 times a year. You can carry in your car on you, but DO NOT keep it on your person. Put it in the console or glove box. If pulled over for whatever reason and the officer asks you where it is, you tell him on your hip. They will ask you to step out of the vehicle then he's got you for being outside the vehicle with your firearm even at his demand for you to exit. CONSOLE OR GLOVE BOX in IL.

State police only recognize E2 of this statue.

430 ILCS 66/40

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law; (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    1. I rarely head east, so normally DE isn't even on my radar. But it's a valid point to consider.

2. I just read that on another search. Seems similar to SC in that regards.

3. My end of the state, it's pretty easy to avoid MD, which I regularly do... and I'm considering avoiding IL if at all possible as well. Like you said though, NM isn't as easy, and we would like to stop there. Luckily, NM allows open carry, as well as car carry, according to what I've been able to find so far.

4. Haven't checked priced yet. That's in the next few days here.

5. Classes come up somewhere around here about once a month. I'll be checking into them soon, but with Christmas around the corner, footing the bill might be a bit tough.

Thanks for the input though!

(2)In my experience, Negative. Carry according to FOPA

(3) NM yes and no, depends on the officer if you hurt his feelings because your carrying.

I have AZ, FL, and UT. AZ as stated before I'm there 3-4 times a year. FL, same thing visiting family in Key West, Coco Beach and the Sun N Fun airshow in Lakeland. UT I threw in for the
    Trifecta. Price of the UT course was $120, App fee was $67 IIRC, backup license if having trouble verifying one of the other, Priceless...

At minimum get AZ permit less than 30 days after submitting I had mine in the mail. Good in NM and NV. trying to save $60 IIRC compared to a lawyers fee and aggravation just isn't worth it. You'll need it for Nebraska also if taking RT 80 like I do.

Don't be cheap...

(Bucks County)

DE was the main reason for me, but since the same class I took covered UT & AZ, I got both... Since then I've also added CT & ME (CT being the most involved and most money so far)
    2017-11-29.jpg
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(York County)

Only reason I got UT was for Delaware, originally got my AZ specifically for Nevada but now Nevada honors UT, so the AZ permit for me is pretty much useless (no plans to ever actually go to AZ in the near future) so I might let that one go when it expires.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    Only reason I got UT was for Delaware, originally got my AZ specifically for Nevada but now Nevada honors UT, so the AZ permit for me is pretty much useless (no plans to ever actually go to AZ in the near future) so I might let that one go when it expires.
    NV changes their list annually. renew AZ for the added option

(Adams County)

Since you are going to be in AZ, I strongly recommend getting a license from there. I have licenses from states I am likely to spend time in because I do not relish the idea of trying to explain the concept of reciprocity by the side of the road at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast