Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Vehicle Stop and detention by LEO due to inability to verify serial number

If I remember correctly in the past (almost positive it was this board) there was a thread not about detaining the firearm owner/driver but that police were confiscating weapons if the gun didnt show up in there database until the owner provided proof of purchase. I remember being worked up cause I have guns 20-25 years old where I couldnt even tell ya where I bought them let alone where a receipt for it might be

(Perry County)

Default Re: Vehicle Stop and detention by LEO due to inability to verify serial number

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Would seem the cops get antsy when the weapon comes back recorded in someone else's name , other than parent or spouse , and the carrier says it belongs to him. Reasonable suspicion of an illegal transfer?
    Even if that were the case (which I don't think an officer would have a leg to stand on) the illegal transfer was committed by the seller. The buyer doesn't commit a crime according to PA law.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

After talking to more than a few state troopers , I gather the line between written state law and unwritten PSP 'policy' is very fuzzy.

We can argue till the cows come home that it can't happen , shouldn't happen , but it does happen.
    Last edited by abner13; November 30th, 2017 at 12:59 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Even if that were the case (which I don't think an officer would have a leg to stand on) the illegal transfer was committed by the seller. The buyer doesn't commit a crime according to PA law.
    But if you accept the suspicion of illegal transfer as reasonable, wouldn't the gun then be evidence of the seller's crime and subject to being taken into custody?

I mean - if it were a bloody knife on the passenger seat that the passenger couldn't adequately explain and you suspected THAT as being the instrument of a crime, it seems like you would take it into custody.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    But if you accept the suspicion of illegal transfer as reasonable, wouldn't the gun then be evidence of the seller's crime and subject to being taken into custody?

I mean - if it were a bloody knife on the passenger seat that the passenger couldn't adequately explain and you suspected THAT as being the instrument of a crime, it seems like you would take it into custody.
    That brings us back around to my original statement.

At worst, the officer should have secured the firearm, gotten all the particulars of the person that possessed it and sent him on his way, returning it when the situation was resolved.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Thanks for your help tl_3237. I have read through both. Though the courts discussion on handguns versus long guns was almost convincing, I share the dissenting opinion in the SCOPA case of 2004.

The court seems to also use common language arguments. They claim that the PSP are keeping a listing or Record of Sales, not a Registry of Ownership. However, I still stand by my argument, if the police are using the listing to determine the owner and not returning it to the lawful carrier who has current possession, the listing is in fact being used as a Registry of Ownership not a Record of Sale.

When this occurs (like in the OP and other stories in our threads), officers or their departments need to be legally slammed hard. Or, as this is proof of an abuse of the Record of Sale actually being used as a Registry of Ownership; then this proof indicates that the practice must be stopped immediately and the law followed regarding not having a listing of any type that ties in names, identity, and firearm information.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Susquehanna County)

Lets say you are driving down the road in someone else's vehicle. You get pulled over for 10 MpH too fast. There is no reports or any reason for them to suspect the vehicle is stolen.
    The office has you get out, puts you in cuffs, stuffs you in the cruiser and detains you for 2 hours or more while calling around trying to reach the car dealership and registered owner, just to make sure you didn't steal it.

There is no stolen car report, no busted out windows, the key IS in the ignition, there are no shaved keys or slim jims laying in sight - ie there is no probable cause!

When there is NO PROBABLE CAUSE for an office to take possession of your firearm, run the serial number etc etc etc... why hand it to them?

Hell even in NY State, at a traffic stop the NY citizen declared a firearm and valid handgun permit. Office took possession and while the partner wrote the ticket, he emptied the 10 round magazine to count bullets. 11 were counted (1 loaded and 10 in the mag) while only 7 was legally allowed. Judge threw the case out because the office had no probable cause to unload the magazine since no crime with the firearm had been committed.
    Last edited by Parrisk; November 30th, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Judge threw the case out because the office had no probable cause to unload the magazine since no crime with the firearm had been committed.
    Still had to go to court , pay lawyer , lose time/pay from work , etc.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

[QUOTE=crffl;3678019].

My advice as to how to respond to that query. "I don't understand officer".
    Him: What don't you understand?
    Driver: I thought I was being detained for a possible traffic violation, and you're asking me questions that have nothing to do with the alleged traffic violation. I'll be glad to answer any questions about the alleged traffic violation.

Always be respectful, not not compliant.

This I agree with BUT I have yet to see any consensus on the best way to respond when asked if any weapons/firearms in the vehicle. Or have I missed that?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy T View Post
    This I agree with BUT I have yet to see any consensus on the best way to respond when asked if any weapons/firearms in the vehicle. Or have I missed that?
    From earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    "I do not consent to answer any questions without my attorney present."

You are obligated to provide certain documents during a traffic stop, and even exit the vehicle if asked, but you are NOT required to utter ONE SINGLE WORD. If you decide to do so, make it the quote above.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast