Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: Poor people body armor thread for Berncly

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Yes thanks Rax.. great info.. but what about DragonSkin or is that too high priced for your review?

Berncly so exactly what do you do with your rigs after 5 years??? you seem to have more money that I do and a used rig would be better than no rig ;-)
    I haven't seen dragonskin on the market, but from what I heard it was a lot of hype and bullets were going through it.

still kinda on the fence myself, as funds are a little tight, unless I dip into the "reserve" tank. given how the wind is blowing around here I just might.

i'm thinking I'll go with the carrier, front/rear/side level III plates, trauma pads for all, if I do pull the trigger.

(Washington County)

I used to own AR500 front/back plates and side plates. It was simply too heavy for wearing for extended periods of time.

After shopping around a bit I ended up going with products from armour-wear.com.

I went with ballistic soft side panels and SAPI XL sized front and back plates with trauma pad backers.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

I use the Ethos series from GH Armor Systems. Lightweight, fits snug, and surprisingly comfortable.

http://www.gharmorsystems.com/products/ethos
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    What is the thickness of the UHMW panel?
    The AR500 panels are .55 inches thick. They have a hybrid that is a little thinner at .25 inches and it's more expensive. I have the IIIA armor because in most circumstance you will be confronted with someone with a handgun. For the apocalypse the IV plates and carriers may be needed.

IIIA Hybrid panels

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...500-armor.html

Another thing to take into consideration is the stab resistance of any of the plates or panels. To be an effective protector against stabbing injuries the carrier needs to extend to the abdomen where most stab wounds occur.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Perry County)

Another option is a simple plate carrier and level IV plates. Not as much coverage but it does cover the most vital bits. It's what I keep near the bed for bumps in the night. Just remember to use an isosceles stance instead of a bladed stance.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

Great thread.

I'll add in a plug for the Bulletsafe backpack panel.
    https://bulletsafe.com/products/bull...backpack-panel

I have one of these in all the cars, and one fits perfectly in the side pocket of my toddler son's diaper bag. If in his car seat or stroller, it gives me a little peace of mind to be able to throw the bag over him and have the panel there.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    (From Other Thread)

I am not an operator either, I'm just a dude, a dude talking to other dudes about dude things.
    Going down your bold(ed?) question list.

I need to know if that pouch is reversable, as i'm a lefty.
    I don't know, but it looks reversible to me based on the design.

What does armor orientation mean? I'm going to assume I want left handed, since I shoot lefty, including rifles.
    Yes, they want to know if you're right or left handed because the shoulder is molded for better rifle butt seating.

Trauma pads?
    Up to you, I generally recommend them, but they are not needed for plate effectiveness. Getting shot hurts, it's nice to have a buffer, may save you a broken rib or organ impact trauma.

Level IIIA Rimelig?

The Rimelig is their Level IIIA Kevlar 10"x12" soft panel. Not needed for Level III steel plates. As I understand it, it is to give you the option of going with soft pistol rated armor if preferred. I sent an email to their customer service to confirm this. I can update when I get an answer.

- Fini -
    The AR500 customer service got back to me about the Rimelig.
    They confirmed that people buy the Rimelig to give them the option of removing the hard plates and using the soft armor in its place when preferable.
    They also said that some people use the Rimelig behind the hard plates in lieu of a trauma pad.
    Apparently some people prefer to wear their soft armor instead of using trauma pads with this setup.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

I have a carrier I just need to get armor....probably AR500 11X14 level 4....

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dlish View Post
    Great thread.

I'll add in a plug for the Bulletsafe backpack panel.
    https://bulletsafe.com/products/bull...backpack-panel

I have one of these in all the cars, and one fits perfectly in the side pocket of my toddler son's diaper bag. If in his car seat or stroller, it gives me a little peace of mind to be able to throw the bag over him and have the panel there.
    I realized later yesterday that I have met the owner of that company and been to his office in Troy, MI. That was where last year's Detroit Gambler 500 race started from and he was the organizer. I'll be seeing him again this coming April!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast