Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Poor people body armor thread for Berncly

Thanks again Rax for that very informed and comprehensive post.
    I generally don't throw money around (usually cause I don't have any), but armor is one of the areas where I try to do it right.
    I hear what you guys are saying about armor longevity, but I have been switching out my rig every 5 years for as long as I've had rigs.
    So I'm not really comfortable doing it differently or relying on used stuff, but again, I hear what you're saying.

Up till today my armor has always been a IIIA vest under IV 10"x12" front and back plates, and always in a good carrier.
    When you add it all up, and pay reputable police supply prices, my average rig is about $1200 give or take.
    I had to give this stuff a try, and I got the full enchilada for about $550.
    That's the rig maxed out with the IV plates, side plates, abdominal plate, and all the fixins to make it a practical rig.

When it comes in I will put it all together and report back how it compares to my traditional rig.
    I'm also going to do some looking around for some fatties I can hang out with.
    Thanks again for all the info.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Wyoming County)

I bought a IIIA panel of this stuff

*My apologies, aparently Nutsrfancy disabled links

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...used?a=2109035

Up armor it with some Kevlar.

Ebay is also filled with armor.

Does anyone know if they sell the removable groin pad separately? That is really all you need.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Does anyone know if they sell the removable groin pad separately? That is really all you need.
    I have an LE vest that is very similar to the above. It's nice having some IIIA armor over the jewels.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    That's so funny it should be illegal.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Union County)

Most body armor has an expiration date on it because older studies showed that temperature changes, going from hot to cold, IE summer to winter, and daily wear with sweat soaking in, along with constant flexing, was shown to break down the fibers of most vests. So depending on the construction, most manufacturers and lawyers agreed on 3 or 5 years. We have shot old vests, and they have held up just the same as new ones. If you're looking for armor just as part of a protection package at home, or a SHTF situation, purchase whatever you can afford right now. Something, is better than nothing. There are quite a few very affordable retailers these days, and there's no reason you couldn't upgrade a little later. Bullet proof me dot com, highcom security, SKD, infidel body armor dot com, to name a few good places.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

(Clearfield County)

I had forgotten about this video

With all the risks associated with doing such a thing of course. I want to try making this stuff at some point, if those panels work there are a few applications for them

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Thanks again Rax for that very informed and comprehensive post.
    I generally don't throw money around (usually cause I don't have any), but armor is one of the areas where I try to do it right.
    I hear what you guys are saying about armor longevity, but I have been switching out my rig every 5 years for as long as I've had rigs.

Yes thanks Rax.. great info.. but what about DragonSkin or is that too high priced for your review?

Berncly so exactly what do you do with your rigs after 5 years??? you seem to have more money that I do and a used rig would be better than no rig ;-)
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The AR500 soft panel (polyethelene UMHWPE) in a decent carrier are probably the best price to coverage ratio of anything on the market right now. I have an 11x15 backpack IIIA panel in a backpack that I carry when traveling around, especially gun free zones. The 11x14 Rimelig IIIA panels are $90 a piece in a Beez extreme lightweight carrier. Good quality and decent protection. Not the top of the line but somewhere in the middle of quality and price.

https://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-arm...500-armor.html

http://www.beezcombatsystems.com/Ext...r-BCS-ELPC.htm
    What is the thickness of the UHMW panel?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Berncly so exactly what do you do with your rigs after 5 years??? you seem to have more money that I do and a used rig would be better than no rig ;-)
    I pull them apart and duct tape the panels to my chest when I work at the mall.
    I thought everybody did that...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast