Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Angry How should we handle this...

My wife and I own a camp up in the marienville area of the ANF, we purchased it from family friends 3 ish years ago. The past three years my father in law, brother in law, and a couple other family members use it for the first day of deer season. Our property backs up to the ANF so they typically hunt the forest land behind camp. The past two years however our camp neighbors two doors down have spent all day Sunday up through about 9:30 pm blowing off pounder tannerite targets. I love a boom as much as the next guy but doing tannerite pounders the night before the opening day of rifle deer season in pa is a really shitty thing to do to your fellow sportsmen. I'm wondering how I can ask these guys politely to refrain from doing this in the future and how this community feels about that.

It boggles the mind to think what kind of person would think this is a great idea.

(Chester County)

Default Re: How should we handle this...

Sounds like your strategy to engage them “politely” is good. Perhaps introduce yourself with a housewarming gift, like a big jar of pure maple syrup.

(Perry County)

Do they hunt or are they animal defenders? If they hunt, it shouldn't be hard to appeal to their logic that setting off explosions in an area is likely detrimental to hunting success.

If they're activists and you can get them to admit to a desire to screw up hunting, they possibly can be arrested as there are laws against it.

Finally, like the guy in Lancaster, you may be able to get them nailed for disorderly conduct, especially if they're doing it that late into the evening.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

Find out what type(s) of ammo they are shooting and offer to buy them with a couple hundred rounds, if they'll stop shooting up at the camp no later than the weekend before Thanksgiving.

(Chester County)

Drop off a couple of pounds of venison jerky just to introduce yourself as a good neighbor and bring up your interest in hunting then the query (from "unclejumbo") "Hey, do you guys hunt too?"

Better to be friends than the alternative....

You'll work it out just by being nice. Always better to give them the benefit of the doubt until their behavior removes all doubt....

Just sayin'....
    - bamboomaster

I found out through trial and error, noise like that and from firearms
    doesn't really affect the deer. Countless times deer/bear would walk behind the backstop,
    whilst shooting. Scent scare off the animals, and movement in the woods.
    JMO

You would think with the ranger's office and state pen there someone would have already said something.
    Then again, Marienville can get really rural really quick.

There's also has been times where I have been shooting at a range and deer walk through.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sayersj629 View Post
    I'm wondering how I can ask these guys politely to refrain from doing this in the future and how this community feels about that.
    Offer them $200 to refrain from blowing shit up on the day you want them to refrain from blowing shit up. If they balk at your offer, increase the amount of money until they accept, or you decide it would be more cost effective to hunt elsewhere.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I found out through trial and error, noise like that and from firearms
    doesn't really affect the deer. Countless times deer/bear would walk behind the backstop,
    whilst shooting. Scent scare off the animals, and movement in the woods.
    JMO
    I had a very nice Buck walk right in front of the 100 yard target at my gun club many years ago when I was doing some shooting. No, I did not shoot it!

(Allegheny County)

The odd thing is Jumbo they seem to be sportsmen. Their typical pattern for using that camp is basically cut the grass once or twice, up there for bear, up there for deer rifle blowing shit up, up there for trout opening day and the cycle repeats. I'm thinking that my best bet is to leave a polite note, they probably won't see until the trout opener, to invite them over for a beer and to let them know that some of the neighbors don't appreciate the tannerite on deer season eve.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast