Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: How should we handle this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sayersj629 View Post
    I feel like this could either escalate quickly or interest them. I don't think I want either of those things.
    Call me a pessimist, cynical, or whatever...but I look at it this way:

1). If they were decent people, and assuming they know about the whole hunting business (and from your description, it sounds like they do), then they wouldn't be doing this in the first place.

2). The fact that they are means they're just shitheads.

3). Asking them nicely to knock it off is unlikely to be effective, and is likely to just cause them to intensify their activity, given #2.

4). Money talks.

I'm open to discourse as to where the logic flaw is.

(Bucks County)

Sure sounds like assholes to me. There is no way to win with assholes. Reacting to them is just giving them opportunity to flex beer muscles.

Anyone who hunts knows not to do what they are doing, ergo...deliberate. I'd guess they are hoping you find another location to camp and hunt. What other reason could there be? I arrive at that by the fact they don't quit at dark.

At 5:30 PM I would contact law enforcement, preferably a WCO assigned to the area, and report your suspicions that poaching is happening. That could prove interesting.

(Berks County)

My first step would be to go over with a witness in tow and ask them if they would do you a favor and refrain from shooting the tannerite at that time as you are concerned that it is scaring the deer off. If they get nasty I would just turn and walk away and consider my options. My options might include researching the local laws up there and/or returning the favor at 0400.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I had a very nice Buck walk right in front of the 100 yard target at my gun club many years ago when I was doing some shooting. No, I did not shoot it!
    I shot one with a 20g slug right through the ear,
    didn't even blink an eye.

(Armstrong County)

Try cleaning your bathtub.

It probably won't fix your situation, but at least you will have a clean tub

(Clarion County)

Talk to them face to face, no note. Make a simple request. See where they stand. If locals they may resent you for being an outsider. If no luck drop it or escalate. No doubt some here will have more ideas on how to do that.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

Get a suppressed .22 rifle and a ghillie suit. Then spend an hour and creep as close as you can to their property line. Wait till they go down range an start setting up the Tannerite charges set the biggest one off right next to them after they put it down. Problem solved.

Actually you should probably NOT do that. Even though it should be effective it might be illegal.......................But it is still fun thinking about it.

(Wayne County)

OK, call me old fashioned, but I think I'd actually just walk down and strike up a conversation with them, possibly offer them a beer, and ask what they're blowing up. When they tell you why ask them if they aren't worried that it'll scare all the deer away for the next day. Base your response to what comes next. But first off, ask nicely.

If they say they weren't aware of it, point it out, politely, that you only get ome or two days to hunt and they're pretty much screwing up your hunt. If they are aware, make it known that you've "heard some of the other neighbors" complain and you "wouldn't want to see them have any trouble with the other neighbors" since these guys "seem so nice". I'm sure there is an unexplained cabin fire around in the area that could be alleged to some similar situation.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    If they are aware, make it known that you've "heard some of the other neighbors" complain and you "wouldn't want to see them have any trouble with the other neighbors" since these guys "seem so nice". I'm sure there is an unexplained cabin fire around in the area that could be alleged to some similar situation.
    Right....so, your suggestion is, rather than engage in a simple business transaction, to provide something of value for something you see of value, to imply that if they don't do what you want, they may be the subject of felonious activity by the neighbors. That seems reasonable. Hell, out in the woods like that, off the beaten path? It's a good way to never be seen again.

Honestly if the "opening day hunt" that one cherishes so much isn't worth a lousy $200 (or whatever), it must not be that cherished - esp. since you could probably split that with whomever else you're hunting with.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post

In other words, you don't even want to provide a reach-around.

Confrontation: Hey, I'd appreciate it if you didn't blow shit up on the day before I want to go kill some deer.
    Business Transaction: I'll give you $200 if you don't blow shit up on the day before I want to go kill some deer.

Seems like most people are generally going to be more receptive to one than the other.
    I usually follow along with your logic, maybe even more so than most, but you are losing me here.

Putting me in the OP's shoes "Not even willing to give a reach around" implies I'm fucking them over and in the situation as described I hardly find the OP to be the one in the back. Maybe the neighbors should be giving the reach around or tossing money at the OP?

In your example of "Confrontation" again, I don't agree with your definition, and it seems reasonable & almost diplomatic. My definition of confrontation would be more like: "Hey you dick wads how about not blowing shit up on hunting eve, or I'll throw flaming dog shit on your cabin."

I stand by my position that I will not pay assholes to not behave like assholes. Which is probably why I do better living like a hermit on a mountain (;
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast