Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Re: Pa Sheriffs Immune from Liability for Breaching LTCF Confidentiality

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The purpose of laws and the courts aren't to protect the citizens at this point. They are designed to protect those in power and to keep them in power. The Constitution has become a moot point.
    Winner.

I guess we will amend "any person" definitions...

a) all people who are not Pennsylvanians.
    b) all people who are not Sheriffs in Pennsylvania.

The general description of any person is getting kind of specific, no?

But the law mentions any agency or department, so can the department be had?
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Default Re: Pa Sheriffs Immune from Liability for Breaching LTCF Confidentiality

That is in complete opposition to what is stated in the law. Unconstitutional.

Maybe appealing important gun rights cases in Pennsylvania isn't always a good idea for the gun community.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

Sorry, but I've got to disagree somewhat. While a sheriff should not be immune, since when is mailing a postcard, which at most may be glanced at by the delivering mailman (everything else is electro/mechanically sorted), considered "public disclosure"? Nobody provided a list of LTCF holders, discussed names, leaked to the media, or actively disclosed details. Plus, remember it's a federal crime to open and read mail not addressed to you
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Sorry, but I've got to disagree somewhat. While a sheriff should not be immune, since when is mailing a postcard, which at most may be glanced at by the delivering mailman (everything else is electro/mechanically sorted), considered "public disclosure"? Nobody provided a list of LTCF holders, discussed names, leaked to the media, or actively disclosed details. Plus, remember it's a federal crime to open and read mail not addressed to you
    I suppose we could save a lot of money on couriers, encryption/decryption or special packaging and send all classified docs in the clear on the back of post cards. The mail is legally protected from snoops, right? And we all know if you pass a law against some action, then it can no longer happen.

OR: I am sure insurance carriers would love to save money and send your <insert disease here> test results on post cards...Where do we draw the line? [/sarcasm]

If information is not to be leaked, you should take reasonable measures to protect it. Put it in an envelop. Does the Sheriff send everything on post cards? We have enough problems with emails getting loose!

Knowing the law, whether you are liable or not, should steer you in the right answer on how to send the information. How is it justified to ignore what the law is mandating (as far as trying to protect citizens) just because there is no punishment for you in not following it, especially as law enforcement? If we do allow them to do this, then they can 'scare' away some people from exercising their rights freely. And that is governmental abuse of power. So it is rather important.

Nobody announced how I voted when I was in the booth. Hey, Taepo voted for...get him!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Maybe appealing important gun rights cases in Pennsylvania isn't always a good idea for the gun community.
    Now how'd I know you were gonna say that?

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Now how'd I know you were gonna say that?
    Because I'm known for stating the truth? (let's just go with that one, OK?)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lancaster County)

Let me introduce you to my mailman.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    so are they also immune from suites against them for adding illegal stipulations to the requirements?
    like restricting references to in-county only, requiring tax forms for identity, not refunding fees on denial. etc?

how do we clear out the judges responsible?
    I have a good idea but expressing it would get me banned....and cause black helicopters to appear overhead.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Indiana County)

While a sheriff should not be immune, since when is mailing a postcard, which at most may be glanced at by the delivering mailman (everything else is electro/mechanically sorted), considered "public disclosure"?
    I was courting the lady who became my wife some 42 years ago. Separated by distance, I wrote, almost daily to her, and she did likewise. Her mailman's name was Sam, and he had commented to her about all the mail she was receiving from me. In her writing to me she let drop what Sam had said.

So, I mailed her a postcard, and on the postcard, clearly addressed to her, I wrote, "Sam, you do know it's not nice to read someone else's mail."

Instead of dropping the mail off in the mail slot, he had to deliver that piece of mail personally to her. They both howled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast