Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Henry Rifle or Win M94 for deer hunting?

The biggest problems with lever action rifles of all flavors (and yes I own several) is the ballistics of the round or flat nose bullet required in a tube style magazine. You can get the leverevolution ammo that will improve that. This is mostly a problem with long range shots which doesn't come much in the woods of PA.

(Montgomery County)

I am 66 and I have been hunting since I was 12 with my Dad's sporterized 1903A3 Springfield Rifle in 30-06. Next year I will be using a 6.5 Creedmoor Bolt Action Rifle. I have not yet decided on the make and model.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    The biggest problems with lever action rifles of all flavors (and yes I own several) is the ballistics of the round or flat nose bullet required in a tube style magazine. You can get the leverevolution ammo that will improve that. This is mostly a problem with long range shots which doesn't come much in the woods of PA.
    That's why the Winchester 88's and Savage 99's with magazine feed have maintained their prices all these years. Also the Browning is mag fed IIRC.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nopetrol View Post
    . Correct. My 336 is the only one with glass. An old school Japanese Tasco that still sees great. Most of the Henry's are tapped on the top from the factory.
    I got mine new in 1985 and if your scope is a 3x9, it's probably the exact same one as mine. It shoots 1.5" groups @ 100yds with 170gr Core lokt every time I check it before opening day.

I've always wanted to upgrade the scope but I'm never ever taking that thing off.

Got an unfired 1971 '94 musket that's going to get fired one of these days.

I shot my DIL's Henry GB .30-30. Hit the 100yd gong with the setting sun my face, guessing where the front sight was. It's a really nice, well made rifle. The octagon barrel is pretty cool too, I've always kind of liked those.

I like the Marlin the best. It's well made, reliable, light, and stupid accurate at the distances I'll be firing at.

Also, I've never been a huge fan of straight stock rifles and shotguns. It might just be a mental thing, but I've never shot very well with anything that had one.

(Lackawanna County)

Another vote for a used Marlin 336, mine is my go-to deer rifle, is accurate as hell and fun to shoot. As like everyone else stated the side-eject makes for easy scope mounting. My Father in Law has a side mounted scope on his Winchester 94 but it works for him. His '94 is a lot more "rattle-y" than the 336 too
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    Another vote for a used Marlin 336, mine is my go-to deer rifle, is accurate as hell and fun to shoot. As like everyone else stated the side-eject makes for easy scope mounting. My Father in Law has a side mounted scope on his Winchester 94 but it works for him. His '94 is a lot more "rattle-y" than the 336 too
    +2 on the Marlin 336, 30/30 or 35. The first new rifle I ever bought way back when I was a younger man was a Marlin in the 35 Rem. and my brother still has it. It's a little worn here and there but it will still put 3 shots of 200 gr. bullets in a 1 inch group at 100 yards. And I couldn't even begin to tell you how many deer that old rifle has taken. Reliable, accurate and easy to carry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12