Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Henry Rifle or Win M94 for deer hunting?

So right now I hunt with a bolt action rifle in 30-06. I love the rifle but its big and heavy and I was looking to get something smaller and lighter. While hunting last year the guy who's place we stayed at let me play around with his lever action rifle. I loved it, its short and handy in the brush and it's light. It was perfect. I started looking at lever actions after that but got away from it. I started looking again and I've narrowed it down to two guns. The Winchester 94 in 30-30 and the Henry rifle in 30-30. I like both but would like to get an opinion on both. I have heard mostly good things about the quality of Henry guns. They seem like a smaller company (compared to say a Remington or Winchester) but there are some things I don't like about the Henry. It's a little heavier than the M94 and I don't like the loading through the front tube. I like the side loading gate much better. Winchester on the other hand I have heard mixed things when it comes to quality control. I don't know what to do any opinion would be great.

Default Re: Henry Rifle or Win M94 for deer hunting?

The newer crop of Remington Model 7 and 700 lightweight synthetic-stock rifles are lighter than a standard Win 94. Downside is recoil is a lot harder. Ya might not notice when a buck pops up , but ya will while sighting it in.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Union County)

Having both brands in various models, and one older JM 336, I look at lever guns with this opinion, and again, just my opinion;

I have Henry's in 22, 22M, and 30/30, and on the way to purchasing one in 38/357 in the near future. I have spent the extra money to buy hex barrel guns, equally because I like the way they look, and I like the extra heft. Yes it's a heavy gun to carry, but when you shoulder it and pull the trigger it gets comfortable. If were to buy new, I would go with a Henry. The fit, finish, and construction to me, is great these days. I like the fact that they are manufactured in the US, specifically New Jersey, by a family-owned and operated business. Yes, the tube magazine is different, but I'd be curious to hear exactly what your concern is? Depending on capacity, while deer hunting, are you really going to have to fast load additional rounds? If you trip and fall in some mud, and the loading gate gets pushed into the mud, you fill a gun with mud. The Henry's magazine tube has an o-ring on the end. Less holes in the gun mean less opportunity to introduce dirt and debris out in the woods.

I'm also a fan of Winchesters. When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to be in the right place, at the right time, to buy a half a dozen guns in 30/30, and 32, from an estate sale, all pre 1955 constructions. I still shoot a few of them periodically, and I absolutely love my older guns. I would actually like to take a deer with each one someday. If your budget doesn't allow for an older Winchester, then perhaps your budget would allow for one of the newer models made in Japan? I have never shot one of the newer Japanese models, but I have handled a couple, and then a lot of reading on them. They get very positive reviews, and wonderful opinions. The Japanese know how to work with steel, and they do it well. I don't know that I would make the effort to buy a American-made, newer Winchester, unless my budget dictated it. If that was the case, I think I would just wait.

Another option, would be one of the older pre-safety, JM marked levers from Marlin. They tend to be less popular, and as such go for a little less money on the used market, but I think they're great guns. They're very common in 30/30, and 35 Remington. The 35 Remington is a great deer cartridge.

I'm only going to acknowledge the above suggestion about the Remingtons to say; the man is right, the lighter gun will transmit recoil to you. The synthetic stock is good especially in the damp woods. Henry makes several models with all weather stock. I would not buy a modern Remington these days. Their fit, finish, and quality has gone downhill, and I don't like some of the politics of the company. Again, just my opinion.

I've seen quite a few threads on the board discussing lever guns, and there's a lot of guys on this forum the know way more than I do, especially the Winchester collectors. I hope your thread gets enough traction to get their attention. They'll drowned you in info! LMAO
    Last edited by Nopetrol; November 28th, 2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added content
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

(Luzerne County)

Well, I'm toying with the idea of a lever action, but my choices are Marlin or Henry and in .44 Magnum. I was looking at both a few weeks ago, not really in detail, mainly just giving them a once over. The Marlin was blued while the Henry was their all-weather (hard chrome) version. I'm leaning towards the Henry right now.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nopetrol View Post
    Having both brands in various models, and one older JM 336, I look at lever guns with this opinion, and again, just my opinion;

Another option, would be one of the older pre-safety, JM marked levers from Marlin. They tend to be less popular, and as such go for a little less money on the used market, but I think they're great guns. They're very common in 30/30, and 35 Remington. The 35 Remington is a great deer cartridge.
    the 336 is also easier to mount a scope on vs. the Winchester. Not sure about the Henry.

There are that many good used pre freedom group Marlin and Winchester lever 30-30s floating around that I wouldn't buy a rifle made recently. A .32special or .35rem will more than do for deer also. I have an older Rem700 mountain rifle and it is not any heavier than a lever action with a 20"barrel.

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    the 336 is also easier to mount a scope on vs. the Winchester. Not sure about the Henry.
    . Correct. My 336 is the only one with glass. An old school Japanese Tasco that still sees great. Most of the Henry's are tapped on the top from the factory.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

I had a 94 some years ago with a scope mounted it. No problem at all, plenty of room. Off course I was using the mounts that were high enough to allow the irons to be used also. I also had a pre freedom group 336 (well it was the 336 action design) .444 with a scope, smoother gun than the 94. Wish I still had the Marlin.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nopetrol View Post
    . Correct. My 336 is the only one with glass. An old school Japanese Tasco that still sees great. Most of the Henry's are tapped on the top from the factory.
    The newer AE 94's are tapped for a scope, the older ones used a side mount using exisiting screw locations, Marlins are like any other rifle. Other than needing special mounts the 94's are not hard to add a scope to.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Clarion County)

Considering the range a 30-30 would be used I recommend and use a good set of peep sights. Vary fast and accurate,
    Good (hardly) used rifles are all around at decent prices. Pre 64 Winchesters would be on top of my list. Mine is a trapper model with a shorter barrel. Very handy.
    For Marlins pre-remington seem to be the most desirable. Have been playing around with a 1970's, 1894, 44 mag that I'm really starting to like. Had a 336, 35 remington that was a real workhorse. One I'm sorry I let go.
    The microgroove barrel in the Marlins make shooting cast interesting but nothing that can't be overcome.
    Would love a henry but price has held me back with other bargains around.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast