Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: philadelphia open carry at the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    id still like to attend an oc event at the philly zoo... unless of course someone wants to call ahead and make sure its ok with the big bad zoo keepers... then ill stay home
    Well, a call ahead to let them know the law and that we'd like to come and be welcome in the zoo without Phila police issues keeps you out of it?

And just showing up without warning keeps me out of it.

Looks like one of us won't be attending, and to tell you the truth, I no longer care if it's me.

Tell you what, Jefferson... you want to REALLY be a patriot in the spirit of our forefathers? Next time you OC legally and somebody challenges you on it, pull your gun and be ready to use it to "defend your rights". Heck, our forefathers risked life and limb over a damn 2 cent tax!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Tell you what, Jefferson... you want to REALLY be a patriot in the spirit of our forefathers? Next time you OC legally and somebody challenges you on it, pull your gun and be ready to use it to "defend your rights". Heck, our forefathers risked life and limb over a damn 2 cent tax!
    you sir, are an idiot.

btw: i OC *legally* every day... noone ever says ANYTHING to me about it. whether i am in philadelphia or out in the burbs.
    Last edited by c.sander; September 20th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Robert, what I don't understand is what if you call the zoo and they say "No, don't come - no weapons at the zoo." What do you advocate then?

If the zoo is public property, what is gained by calling them? Are we asking for permission to exercise rights on public property?

I see you are a supporting member and realise you are serious about gun rights, I just don't understand how you think it would help to call. Either they are okay with us exercising our rights, or they aren't. If they aren't, are you willing to let that control your actions?

Scott

(Bucks County)

like i said before... do you call ahead to make sure the color of your shoes is cool with the cops before you leave the house? we dont need the type of people who would like to check that its ok before hand and wouldnt unless the police told them it would be ok (no offense or anything) but that does NOTHING to help the OC cause.... you want people to see you and not think anything of it... as its just another every day thing... thats the whole frickin point of Oc events... calling and asking permission is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are trying to get done.
    I like your way of thinking... glad i have at least one person by my side. if you want to increase awareness, you do not want to be afraid. i'll look at the zoo's website to see if they have a policy that illegaly phohibits firearms.

ok... as long as we are not acting inapropriatly or dangerously... we are cool... so noone can stand on the fences or do backflips or harass the tigers... also animals are prohibited to be brought in unless they are a service animal... darn it... i wanted to bring my cat so he can see that real cats are sissies... also smoking is prohibited in the zoo, so i'll need to bring my dip. nope no illegal rule about our sidearms. good good.
    Last edited by ccphilly1984; September 20th, 2008 at 06:08 PM.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

you sir, are an idiot.

btw: i OC *legally* every day... noone ever says ANYTHING to me about it. whether i am in philadelphia or out in the burbs.
    You both need to cool it! Take it to another thread or PM if necessary but your argument has very little if anything to do with the event being planned.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    Robert, what I don't understand is what if you call the zoo and they say "No, don't come - no weapons at the zoo." What do you advocate then?
    Dude, this isn't that hard.

If they say don't come, no weapons at the zoo, the response goes something like this:

"Well, the law says that not only do Pennsylvanians have the right to openly carry their firearms in public places, it also says that it is illegal for you to countermand state law, and if you do so knowingly (as would be the case now, since I'm bringing it to your attention), it opens up your organization to possible legal issues. I strongly and respectfully suggest you consult your legal department on the matter. And our group would appreciate it if you could get back to us after that as soon as possible to verify your policy on the issue, because we'd like to plan our trip accordingly."

If the zoo is public property, what is gained by calling them? Are we asking for permission to exercise rights on public property?
    PLEASE pay attention... we're not "asking permission", we're trying to avoid problems ahead of time for both ourselves and ultimately for the zoo custodians, if it turns out they don't understand the law.

I see you are a supporting member and realise you are serious about gun rights, I just don't understand how you think it would help to call. Either they are okay with us exercising our rights, or they aren't. If they aren't, are you willing to let that control your actions?
    Geez, haven't you been paying attention to the other threads on this board where people exercised their right and wound up with the hassle of unpleasant police encounters and eventually having to spend time and money in court to get back their LTCFs and/or fight disorderly conduct charges? All the while fully within their rights?

Going through that sort of nonsense with local yokel police departments is one thing... going through it with the Philadelphia cops and/or judges is quite another.

A simple call ahead of time to find out their position and, if it's the wrong one, bring to their attention the truth of the issue, goes a long way towards good will and positive education, which should be our goal.

I do not want to sit out in front of the zoo for a long period of time while they discuss the issue with management at that moment (as what happened in the ID video)... or not unlikely, they'd just call the police, who will be only to glad to hassle us over id and taking our weapons from us while they check things out... if we're lucky, that is... I can see a Philly cop just handling the whole thing like it's disorderly conduct and confiscating our weapons and taking us to the station, and for all he cares, let the judge sort it out later.

(Lehigh County)

you sir, are an idiot.

If nobody ever says anything, then why the big deal about just asking the zoo people ahead of time what their policy is?

According to you, they'll say "No problem, come on down with your group, the more the merrier!"

Case closed, right?

/this isn't rocket science... idiot though I may be, even I can understand this much.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    You both need to cool it! Take it to another thread or PM if necessary but your argument has very little if anything to do with the event being planned.
    It's not merely our argument, it's a very salient discussion about planning an event and pulling off a successful and positive demonstration of our rights and the positions we advocate.

If we express ourselves in dramatic ways at times, well... excuse us for having personalities. Judging by rep given, other readers seem to find it worthwhile, or at the very least, amusing.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    There ya go, I don't OC, but for those that do the above statement makes perfect sense to me, it is a legal activity why "ask for permission?"

Bill

For three reasons.

1. It heads off any "misunderstandings" by zoo officials and / or LE, thus preventing a clumsy, "circus-like" atmosphere.

2. I think the news media would be even more enticed to cover it.

3. The impact of a Political "event" is better served if it is planned and unfolds "according to plan" rather than having it turn into a cluster *uck.

(Westmoreland County)

like i said before... do you call ahead to make sure the color of your shoes is cool with the cops before you leave the house? we dont need the type of people who would like to check that its ok before hand and wouldnt unless the police told them it would be ok (no offense or anything) but that does NOTHING to help the OC cause.... you want people to see you and not think anything of it... as its just another every day thing... thats the whole frickin point of Oc events... calling and asking permission is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what we are trying to get done.
    IMHO, what you're failing to consider is that to those you are trying to "reach" (e.g. your fellow citizens), it won't matter if it appears to be spontaneous or a "staged event".

ETA: The results are what matter.
    Last edited by TonyF; September 20th, 2008 at 11:43 PM.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast