Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Smith 357 mag for carry and range

My "short barrel 357" is a model 27-2 with a 4 inch barrel. I shoot it better than any handgun I own. 50 rounds at the range with full bore 357 will leave the web of my hand tingling. It is a N frame.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    An all steel S&W 649 is what you seek, a bit heavy but shoots very nicely with any of the 125 gr defensive loads out there, can be a bit brutal with 158 grainers. Conceals as good as any handgun and you can shoot a sweet and accurate single action if desired or just ignore it, never understood the love and perceived superiority of the DAO 640. Though I'll admit the humpback 649 are not the prettiest girl at the dance
    I'm not sure this offers any longterm durability over the model 60. Both are J frame. Smith lists both as rated for continuous 38 special + p use. Also, I'm looking for a 2.75 or 3" barrel length. The 649 appears to be only available in 2.125" and the gutter sights are also less than ideal.

Ideally, I like the model 60 J frame, a lot. I'm just concerned that it will beat itself silly in no time, shooting 357.

Thanks for your response.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    My "short barrel 357" is a model 27-2 with a 4 inch barrel. I shoot it better than any handgun I own. 50 rounds at the range with full bore 357 will leave the web of my hand tingling. It is a N frame.
    A four inch N frame is definitely much more gun than I am looking for. I'm not concerned for the welfare of my hand, so much as the welfare of the firearm. A three inch 686+ is the absolute largest firearm I am willing to consider.

(Bucks County)

I don't think there are any pistols that are good for carry AND range................. You have to pick one use. It will be mediocre (at best) for the other use.

If you are open carrying with a full sized duty holster you might be able to get away with it.

CC? Forget it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I don't think there are any pistols that are good for carry AND range................. You have to pick one use. It will be mediocre (at best) for the other use.

If you are open carrying with a full sized duty holster you might be able to get away with it.

CC? Forget it.
    If we are talking about any caliber, I find my Glock 26 ideal for carry and plently adequate at the range. Perhaps their is no equivalent firearm that can handle the 357. It is my intention to find out. Really, I just want the smallest frame revolver with a barrel length of 2.75" or 3" (with nice sights or the potential for them) that will not destroy itself at the range, shooting 357s.

(Philadelphia County)

How about an S&W 586 L-Comp? 3in barrel, 7 rounds, 37.5oz.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...ter-586-l-comp

(Chester County)

A 586- Will do if you're too small to carry an N frame.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    If we are talking about any caliber, I find my Glock 26 ideal for carry and plently adequate at the range. Perhaps their is no equivalent firearm that can handle the 357. It is my intention to find out. Really, I just want the smallest frame revolver with a barrel length of 2.75" or 3" (with nice sights or the potential for them) that will not destroy itself at the range, shooting 357s.
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    A 586- Will do if you're too small to carry an N frame.
    I have an older 586 in 357 Mag with a 6 inch barrel and I consider it one of my ultimate range revolvers. You can hit a small 2-3 inch target all day at 25 yards and then hit a 9x11 piece of paper at 100 yards. You can also shoot a few hundred rounds and not get punchy. That's what I consider a range gun. But a 586 with a 6 inch barrel is too big for carry.

There might be a misunderstanding of terms in terms on range/carry but I will agree a 586 (or 686 in stainless) will keep shooting.
    Last edited by Delkal; November 22nd, 2017 at 11:49 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    How about an S&W 586 L-Comp? 3in barrel, 7 rounds, 37.5oz.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...ter-586-l-comp
    If I have to go L frame, I will probably just save $400 and get the 686+, but thank you for your suggestion.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    May I ask why you are looking at 3 inch for barrel length?
    I no longer carry anything with a BRT but have found that for concealment, the barrel does 9not take away from concealability. It's the grip.
    I carry a Kahr P9 Covert in mild weather.
    Same short grip as a PM9 but 3.5 inch longer bbl of the P9.
    As far as caliber and the .357, the .357 SIG in a Glock33 could possibly be an option in lieu of a revolver.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast