Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Discussion: Point Blank "Self Defense" - or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    If this is the one where the aggressive person was unarmed. Why didn't he hit the legs to stop his mobility, instead of taken his life?

Lot's of "whys" can be asked after the fact.

If he had a gun, some would ask "why didn't he just shoot the gun out of his hand instead of killing him?"

Nobody knows why he did what he did at this point.
    I do know I woudn't shoot someone in the legs - if I have a gun trained on someone who is threatening to come take it from me, I'm not dicking around with bullshit that could result badly for me.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I'm mixed... Without knowing what created the situation, and what happened to cause the on-foot confrontation - it is hard to pass final judgement.

One thing that leans towards justified is that the shooter backed away in most of the video, and the other person pursued. Only a crazy and/or violent person would pursue and approach a person pointing a gun at them, that creates a mindset that the visibly unarmed person has intent to cause harm.
    I agree.

I also looked up the name of the dead guy, and he appears to have a record for terroristic threats against family members (based on name, age and city).

Continuing to act aggressively towards a man who's pointing a shotgun at you is a big red flag that you either plan to seize the gun and use it against the other guy, or you're too stupid to pass your genes on to future generations.

I've said in my classes, particularly with respect to lone women accosted by strange men at night, that once you point a gun at someone and warn them to stay back, their subsequent actions provide you with a huge amount of additional data regarding their intentions. If they are willing to risk death to get closer to you, you are in imminent danger from them. They aren't there to discuss politics or the weather, they're there because they want to hurt you and just need the chance. A jury may disagree, but anyone with common sense understands that this is true.

In the real world, "unarmed men" killed people every day, and the same hateful anti-gun folks who allege that an attacker can easily take your self-defense gun away from you and use it against you (so guns are "useless for self-defense"), are the first mouth-breathers to conclusively assume that unarmed men pose no threat and should never be shot by cops or intended victims.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Wyoming County)

If this is the one where the aggressive person was unarmed. Why didn't he hit the legs to stop his mobility, instead of taken his life?
    Shooting to wound is a bad road to go down.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Shooting to wound is a bad road to go down.
    He could have ”Bidened” him and fired shots in the air.

(Philadelphia County)

He left the safety of his truck, and shot dead an unarmed man.

Regardless of their history of ongoing dispute, and whatever might have immediately preceded the incident, getting out of the truck when he had the option to drive away (or just run the guy over)...that makes a world of difference.

Looks like Murder.

(Allegheny County)

Looks like Darwin.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

The video only shows the guy being shot. There is no other information so the investigation needs to be concluded in order understand the situation.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

Cannot hear a dialog, so that information is missing. If the man with the shotgun was the driver of the pickup, why did he exit the pickup, bringing a shotgun carried in the truck with him? Determination needs to be made answering that question. This could be a road rage, or it could be a citizen's arrest...we don't know.

The on-foot confrontation lasted for a considerable time. Was the man with the shotgun hoping for arrival of police, and reached the point where felt he was on his own? The video does not show what changed between the two people that the shooter felt it was time to go up one.

That the man pursues the shotgun holder is not that unusual. A sizeable percentage of persons suffering homicides precipitate their deaths with challenges such as, "you don't have the guts". This is just a variation of that.

(Lancaster County)

Just more proof id want a bench trial than a jury of gun owners that think I’m an asshole wannabe

(Bucks County)

I think the biggest issue is that he shot the guy after the guy seemed like he stopped. But a split second before, the dead dude seemed to move towards his pants waistband area, or prepping up to charge...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast