Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Liar, liar pants on fire! --> The 'good guy with a gun' is a myth

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Thousands?? A couple of hundred maybe. One thousand hours is 125 training days of 8 hours or 25 weeks at five days a week.

Maybe some of you law enforcement folks can help out here. Act 120 training is around 800 hours, but how much is firearms related training and what portion of that is actual firing time on the range? I guess if you count training in total you could rack up a couple (two) thousand hours in a career with updates, refreshers, re-qualification, and the like. (I know it seems like years when you are taking it)

In my active competitive shooting years I did like 150-200 hours in practice and matches annually each year, and I was not as gung ho as a lot of the gang I shot with. How many police or military (not deployed) do that much?
    I think my Dad's department only did annual qualifications after the academy, unless you were under a certain accuracy percentage. Then you did remedial training until you could get back up to speed.

Other than that, you could go to the range and use as much of the city's ammo as you wanted, but it wasn't required.

(Perry County)

If we had 80 hours of firearms training in 6 months, I'd be surprised. Then 16 hours of firearms qualification/stress course every year.

His entire premise is hogwash and written with an appeal to authority. Police officers train with weapons far less than soldiers and still shoot people every day. As others have mentioned, if it took training to shoot someone, our murder rate would be very low. All shooting someone takes is a mindset.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

Castrated male feminist Charles Clymer.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Venango County)

He is also assuming a 100% failure rate. So if we were to even give major credence to his view (I think it is seriously flawed like the rest of the chorus); if many people carried and only 1% of those could react to stop a threat (risk killing as killing is not the actual goal) that would still increase the chances of stopping the threat at a point above zero even if misses are accounted for in the scenario. Much better than no one being armed.

So what is his point? The military and the police can't be everywhere and frankly, I don't want to live in that kind of society anyway. There are places like China, North Korea etc. if that is what you want to live like, go there - I'll pack your bags for you.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I must have been in the wrong infantry school when I enlisted. My BRM was a week long and we weren't allowed to touch our firearms until they were checked out to us on the day/s we were to use them. Never while I was in basic were we allowed to take our rifles into the barracks. Sunday's were meant only for worship or cleaning the barracks. Where did this person go to infantry school, Fort Leonard Wood? (yes I know the only infantry school is Benning)
    YIPES! Things have change mightily then since my BCT! In 1966 our barracks had rifle racks down the middle aisle between the bunks, the racks were not locked. the rifles were M14s. Each man was issued a rifle on day one and we started training with them very soon. Close order drill under arms was daily.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    He is also assuming a 100% failure rate. So if we were to even give major credence to his view (I think it is seriously flawed like the rest of the chorus); if many people carried and only 1% of those could react to stop a threat (risk killing as killing is not the actual goal) that would still increase the chances of stopping the threat at a point above zero even if misses are accounted for in the scenario. Much better than no one being armed.

So what is his point? The military and the police can't be everywhere and frankly, I don't want to live in that kind of society anyway. There are places like China, North Korea etc. if that is what you want to live like, go there - I'll pack your bags for you.
    True, and you can add to that the fact of deterrence. Spree shooters like places where the law-abiding have been helpfully disarmed by the govt, but the govt didn't send any help to replace the guns they banned.

You don't need to stop 100% or even 50% of bad people, in order to deter other bad people. A classic example is this: if you knew there was 1 chance in 1,000 that you would be electrocuted each time you booted up your computer at work, how often would you boot it up? Probably never. Someone who wanted to stop you doesn't have to rig it so it kills you every time, he just needs to make it an unwelcome possibility.

Every once in a while, there's a story about some unaware robber who pulls a gun in a bar or store where a bunch of cops happen to be. The tone of the story is always "what an idiot!" Because armed bystanders will stop your crime dead.

And yes, the notion that human beings will never bust a cap on an armed robber or spree shooter unless they've been officially trained and issued a badge, is provably false. Civilians who have never had military or police training use guns EVERY DAY to defend themselves and others, sometimes by firing a shot and mostly by being prepared to fire.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    And yes, the notion that human beings will never bust a cap on an armed robber or spree shooter unless they've been officially trained and issued a badge, is provably false. Civilians who have never had military or police training use guns EVERY DAY to defend themselves and others, sometimes by firing a shot and mostly by being prepared to fire.
    Agreed, and just to add, it's obvious to me the "Genderqueer" author hasn't produced any Hillary-voting offspring yet because he'd know that one of the biggest motivators to carry and defend yourself is your child by your side. I think I could become comfortable with doing whatever is necessary for that reason alone in a lot less time than the "thousands of hours" this yahoo author claims.

F that guy
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    YIPES! Things have change mightily then since my BCT! In 1966 our barracks had rifle racks down the middle aisle between the bunks, the racks were not locked. the rifles were M14s. Each man was issued a rifle on day one and we started training with them very soon. Close order drill under arms was daily.
    I enlisted in 2001 and went to basic in 2002. I assume they didn't want any Full Metal Jacket style incidents in the barracks.

(Dauphin County)

LOL I just read the rest of the article on NBC and WTF. Was he in an imaginary army? When did they start giving out rubber duckies to sleep with? They only time I ever saw a rubber duck while I was enlisted was in my JROTC storage room in High School. Also they don't make you take your rifle everywhere so you can "appreciate the destruction it can cause", they do that so you learn not to lose your GD equipment and take accountability for yourself. I really wish they allowed comments on the original website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12