Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Federal 22lr quality

i do & the micro groove still shoots bug holes if i do my part. i can switch off to any other ammo and not have a problem which makes me believe its ammo related not rifle. i use clp through the bolt everytime i shoot so i doubt it's lube related either

(Lackawanna County)

action gets a good cleaning after every outing and rounds are fully seated. even if i manually put a round in the chamber it doesn't always go bang

as far as trigger lightening goes, I stoned the trigger and sear and replaced the trigger spring

(Allegheny County)

I buy that (and any round nose ammo because that's what I need to use in my 50 round drum mag) for my 22LR AR15 and it works fine.

I have a Mossberg 702(?) Plinkster and it runs Federal HP ammo fine, but Winchester gives me fits.
    Seems many people have issues with specific ammo in specific guns.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Federal 725/745/750 (same shit, different box counts.) Pretty much all I'll buy now. CCI 0030 and 0031 are excellent as well, but are usually priced higher. Fancy plastic boxes are expensive.

(Lackawanna County)

Well I had a little down time today and ripped apart the bolt. Nothing out of the ordinary except a little dirt but it's a 22 so that's to be expected. I also checked firing pin protrusion but the only spec I could find was for a 10-22 and optimal was .035" and mine measured .0445". I'm going to hit the range tomorrow in between prep work and if the problem still persists I'll send off samples to Federal at their request and see if it's the ammo

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    A while ago I picked up a brick of Federal Auto Match 22lr on sale figuring it'll be decent plinking ammo but it kind of sucks. Accuracy is good but reliability is horrible. Mind you I'm shooting a Marlin 780 not anything toyed around with, except for a lighter trigger pull. Today alone, I shot maybe 40 rounds since it was freezing but I had about 10 misfires, the primers became un-seated and some wouldn't even fire after 2 rotations (3 primer strikes). Has anyone else had such a crapshoot with this ammo?

I just had to vent since this is supposedly match grade ammo & I can honestly say I wouldn't use this ammo in any competition. I also dropped my deer gun while I was out there & had to rezero it, so yay!
    It's not match grade ammo. Where did you get that idea? That is just a name. I used to have good luck with it in most of my 22s, but in the last couple of years I have been having quite a few duds, maybe one out of 15 or 20 rounds. I stopped buying it when CCI minimags started showing up, especially the standard velocity CCI.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    It's not match grade ammo. Where did you get that idea? That is just a name. I used to have good luck with it in most of my 22s, but in the last couple of years I have been having quite a few duds, maybe one out of 15 or 20 rounds. I stopped buying it when CCI minimags started showing up, especially the standard velocity CCI.
    Mainly the name but either way I'd be ok with 1 in 15, right now it's 1 in 2 or 1 in 3. I average 2 duds a mag (7 round) sometimes up to 4. From the time I bought it the box went in a 50cal ammo can then in my trunk so it wasn't knocked around where I'd think that it would unseat that many primers. The accuracy is good when it finally ignites though so they got that part right at least

(Allegheny County)

There's no primer to unseat. "Rimfire".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    There's no primer to unseat. "Rimfire".
    There's still a primer, it's just not a little cup. Gun powder doesn't ignite from shock alone, the primer is just in the rim not the center

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12