Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Some of my favorite arbitrary range rules

Some rules I've personally seen at various local ranges.

#1. No wolf ammo. None of any kind. A broken pistol slide was displayed with this rule.

#2. The fps max rule. This rule goes something like you can't shoot ammo that exceeds ____ fps because it will damage the armor plates. This rule is usually in place to keep people from shooting 5.56 or 7.62x39. Meanwhile they also rent a s&w 500 or allow s&w 460. Ask a clerk about a specific caliber and it is anybody's guess what is allowed one day or another.

#3. No rapid fire. I've heard this put as 1 second between shots. I get that nobody wants to be shooting next to the guy doing mag dump after mag dump, but this is a rule that is usually in place at ranges with 5 round capacity limits. What about people who are actually practicing? I guess they go to other ranges.

#4. No pistols on the rifle range. This one almost makes sense until you pick it apart. You can't shoot pistols on the rifle range because the bullets might ricochet over the berm. That is unless the pistol range is full and then you can shoot pistols at the rifle range. I couldn't make this up.

What did I miss? Anybody have their own made up for no reason rules they've heard?

I'd bet some of you probably know which ranges I'm referencing but let's keep the range names out of this.

-Zach
    Last edited by zachomega; November 20th, 2017 at 03:03 PM.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Some of my favorite arbitrary range rules

You must shoot at a target. No shooting into the berm directly; it is unsafe, and bullets could ricochet.

So I asked the question, "What do the bullets hit after they pass through the paper target?"

The club official who views the club as his own personal range just stood there and blinked.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Jefferson County)

I'd rather not shoot than go to a formal shooting range. The closest I get to a formal range these days are turkey shoots at neighboring sportsmans clubs.

We grew up shooting odd targets. ...cans, plastic bottles/jugs, TV's, etc, etc(seriously, pretty much anything was a target so long as there was a backstop).

We also shot whatever ammo was safe for the gun/shooter. And however fast we wanted. We instituted our own "range hog" rule - one magazine, then someone else's turn. Occasionally side-by-side depending on the target, purpose, etc.

Detachable mag guns = loaded magazine stayed out of gun until it was your turn.
    Non-detachable = you could load the magazine/cylinder/etc, but action had to stay open, it was preferred that you set the gun down on the table/rest until your turn, or if lacking table/rest, you held it in a safe manner.

Landowner was in charge, or his/her designated person. If not present, the eldest present was the boss.

Anyone was allowed to shoot any gun that was brought to the event, but if the gun was a virgin - the owner had the right to break the cherry.

If the gun owner was selective on what ammo was fired in the gun, he/she had to bring enough for others to try it. Otherwise, it was polite to shoot your own ammo.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Only one round permitted in a rifle.
    I asked "why?"
    I was told it was for "safety ".
    I asked " what makes having one round in the gun more safe than 2 or 3 rounds in the rifle?
    Answer. " to prevent negligent discharges".
    I asked. " how many rounds does it take to have a negligent discharge".
    I was given that perplexed doe in headlights stare.

As an instructor of plumbers, I have been told to wait 3 seconds for a response. I usually c ount.out loud. One thousand one, one thousand 2, one thousand 3.
    At that time, I voiced that it only takes one round to have a ND. That answer ended our conversation but ultimately didnt achieve anything.
    The rule is still.in effect. Likely for "safety concerns"
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Only one round permitted in a rifle.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Anyone who thinks that having more than one round in a rifle is any kind of safety issue shouldn't be trusted with more than one round in a rifle. If that.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Anyone who thinks that having more than one round in a rifle is any kind of safety issue shouldn't be trusted with more than one round in a rifle. If that.

I like the rule only one round in the chamber at a time !

(Chester County)

A few additional rules:

1. Don't shoot the range-master
    2. Don't shoot the guy next to you
    3. Don't shoot yourself
    - bamboomaster

(Montgomery County)

I shot at a club where it was only 1 round in the rifle - EVEN WITH TUBE MAGAZINE .22

(Perry County)

Paper targets only and getting shit from RO because the target is a cardboard silhouette. I explained to the RO that cardboard is nothing more than pressed paper but he didn't want to hear it. Asshole.

Many of these types of rules are perfect reminders that half of the population is below average intellectually.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast