Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Some of my favorite arbitrary range rules

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The seat debate is ridiculous because the seat AND LID should be down if it's not in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    But what if the dog is thirsty?
    My cat agrees!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

My clubs indoor range (25 yards) a year or two ago, prohibited Wolf or any Bi-metal jacketed pistol rounds. It can't be for safeties sake since they don't prohibit it on the outdoor steel plate range (7 yards).
    Last edited by Hawk; November 23rd, 2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    No shooters under 16???? WTF?
    No, it said "not on the property at all".
    Yep, bad Fudd rule.

Yes they need to be monitored and understand basic safety. No fooling around.
    Started mine shooting when they were eight.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Here's our rules. Most of them are mine but attorney added a few.

A. Shooting hours are Monday to Saturday between 10am to 9pm and Sunday between 1pm to 9pm.

B. Members must sign LOG IN BOOK upon arriving and to ensure non-members sign in.

C. No one under 16 years old is ever permitted on property including the parking lots.

D. Absolutely no picking up brass that you didn't shoot. No range rats!!

E. Rapid fire is allowed on all ranges. Machine gun fire is only allowed on 50-yard range.

F. Move & Shoot is allowed on all ranges except for AR Range.

G. Only paper or cardboard targets can be brought onto range. No metal, exploding, hard plastic, rubberized targets, etc., or stuff you want to destroy, such as printers, computers, etc. are allowed.

H. No alcohol is permitted on range. No one under the influence is allowed on range.

I. Members are limited to one non-member guest per month to use the range,

J. Clean up after yourself, such as trash and destroyed targets.

K. Eye protection MUST be worn at all times even for people in viewing areas.

L. Shooters must wear eye and ear protection.

M. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

N. Treat every firearm as though it were loaded.

O. Except when actually preparing to shoot, always make sure the firearm is unloaded and keep the action open. Holstered guns are exempt from this rule as long as they stay holstered.

P. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstruction and that you have the proper ammunition for the firearm you are carrying.

Q. Be sure of your target before you pull the trigger.

R. Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. Absolutely no horseplay with a firearm.

S. Obey “cease fire” commands promptly. Immediately unload all firearms and lock actions open.

T. All shooters 16 to 17 years old must have adult member (18+ years old) supervision.

U. Household pets are not permitted on the range or in vehicles.

V. Do NOT touch or handle any firearm in anyway when someone is down range.

W. If you are leaving range after nightfall, lock the gate.

X. REPORT VIOLATIONS. Dangerous safety violations will result in a permanent ban from range.
    C. No one under 16 years old is ever permitted on property including the parking lots.

That is asinine to say the least!!
    How is a kid going to learn proper safety, handling, and actual shooting skills?
    The legal age to hunt in Pa. has traditionally been 12 years of age, bow the 'Mentored Youth" program allows new hunters under the age of 12 to hunt with a mentor. How would they be familiar enough with a gun to be safe and comfortable enough with a gun to participate if they are not allowed to visit a range to be familiarized with the basics?

Our club encourages parents to get their youngsters involved early in life.

Our events are open to any non-prohibited person, regardless of age, as long as they can safely handle and shoot a 12 gauge shotgun with target loads. I have pictures of youngsters aged about 10 who are displaying the 'prizes' they've won at our block shoots, including meat and money. (I can't post them because the upload feature doesn't work with Firefox or Chrome and I'm not about to bail out at this point in my reply and switch to Internet Exploder).

My dad let me start shooting at the ripe old age of 3, and bought my first gun for me at Christmas when I was six. I fired MANY rounds on rifle ranges before I was 16 years old. That rule is absolutely ridiculous.

I got into an argument with a liberal friend at our club who said children shouldn't be allowed to touch a gun. They should only be allowed to handle them when they become adults. I asked about hunting at 12 years old? He admitted that there could an exception for that. Then I asked him if it would be safe to hand a gun to a 12 year old who has never been allowed to touch one before that, then hand him a box or ammo, show him where the ammo goes and tell him to go shoot a deer with it?

Of course I was told that I was being ridiculous.

I then asked about an 18 year old who enlists in the military and has never held a gun then is suddenly expected to know how to use one. A 30 year veteran was sitting there and said "Don't laugh, it happens." "And it gets scary."

Keeping children from guns in that respect is about as 'anti-gun' as you can get. To know that there are gun ranges with that attitude is disturbing.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post

That is asinine to say the least!!
    How is a kid going to learn proper safety, handling, and actual shooting skills?
    The legal age to hunt in Pa. has traditionally been 12 years of age, bow the 'Mentored Youth" program allows new hunters under the age of 12 to hunt with a mentor. How would they be familiar enough with a gun to be safe and comfortable enough with a gun to participate if they are not allowed to visit a range to be familiarized with the basics?

Our club encourages parents to get their youngsters involved early in life.

Our events are open to any non-prohibited person, regardless of age, as long as they can safely handle and shoot a 12 gauge shotgun with target loads. I have pictures of youngsters aged about 10 who are displaying the 'prizes' they've won at our block shoots, including meat and money. (I can't post them because the upload feature doesn't work with Firefox or Chrome and I'm not about to bail out at this point in my reply and switch to Internet Exploder).

My dad let me start shooting at the ripe old age of 3, and bought my first gun for me at Christmas when I was six. I fired MANY rounds on rifle ranges before I was 16 years old. That rule is absolutely ridiculous.

I got into an argument with a liberal friend at our club who said children shouldn't be allowed to touch a gun. They should only be allowed to handle them when they become adults. I asked about hunting at 12 years old? He admitted that there could an exception for that. Then I asked him if it would be safe to hand a gun to a 12 year old who has never been allowed to touch one before that, then hand him a box or ammo, show him where the ammo goes and tell him to go shoot a deer with it?

Of course I was told that I was being ridiculous.

I then asked about an 18 year old who enlists in the military and has never held a gun then is suddenly expected to know how to use one. A 30 year veteran was sitting there and said "Don't laugh, it happens." "And it gets scary."

Keeping children from guns in that respect is about as 'anti-gun' as you can get. To know that there are gun ranges with that attitude is disturbing.
    Plain and Simple, our range isn't for kids. There are lots of ranges for kids to learn how to shoot, that's never been the concept for our range. Our sole mission is to teach 16+ years old how to shoot tactically. It's a business plan that is working well for us considering how many LEO's use our range. 3 out of 5 shooting areas at our facility permit moving and shooting, we encurage holster quick draw, rapid fire, have range cars to shoot out of, breach doors to kick open, etc.. it isn't a place for kids to learn how to shoot. The no one under 16 rule is one of the biggest compliments we get from our members.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Lebanon County)

Plain and Simple, our range isn't for kids. There are lots of ranges for kids to learn how to shoot, that's never been the concept for our range. Our sole mission is to teach 16+ years old how to shoot tactically. It's a business plan that is working well for us considering how many LEO's use our range. 3 out of 5 shooting areas at our facility permit moving and shooting, we encurage holster quick draw, rapid fire, have range cars to shoot out of, breach doors to kick open, etc.. it isn't a place for kids to learn how to shoot. The no one under 16 rule is one of the biggest compliments we get from our members.
    I thinks it's a good call in your specific case. Doesn't WCMG stand for Washington County Machine Guns? We aren't talking about an ordinary range or club there.

Does everyone remember that young kid that fatally shot himself at that full auto range a few years ago?
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Higher level shooting classes require you to show proof of lower level classes having been taken.
    Same goes for general education at most levels.
    I wasn't allowed to do solo track days until I'd completed enough driver's time and instruction and was signed off by an instructor.
    Few if any skydiving schools or locations will allow you to solo jump with instruction and usually require a tandem jump or two.
    The ladies room isn't for persons with gentleman's sausage between their legs, regardless what certain liberals think.

My point is, not everything is for everyone. As they are up front about their rules I don't see the issue here. Stop peeing in your panties and just don't patron them.

Oh wow, you guys are out near pittsburgh!

(Lebanon County)

If it's too dangerous for a 15 year old it's too dangerous for a 16 year old. If they're not even allowed on the property I suspect the perceived danger isn't them shooting, it's just their presence? If that's the case it's too dangerous for me too. A carelessly fired round doesn't care what age the victim is.
    I can understand not wanting youngsters firing the way I've seen "tactical shooters" doing their "training". They are diving and rolling around on the ground with their guns pointing in all directions while they have their booger hooks on the bang switches. When I see that behavior I make myself scarce in short order. We don't have "lots of ranges for kids to learn how to shoot" in our area. We don't have a choice of "Kid friendly" or "trigger happy ninja" friendly within reasonable driving distance.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Parents can't concentrate on shooting safety and their kids. A good portion of todays modern parent feel it's not their responsibility to watch their kids. I see it at my club. People buy a 'family' membership , and that means the range becomes their kids playground and every other member is responsible for their kids safety. Parents let their short-attention span kids run and chase each other , even between shooting benches.
    Last edited by abner13; November 25th, 2017 at 04:16 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast