Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Loading Info for Steel Valley Casting Coated Bullets

Hello All,

Has anyone loaded any of the Coated Steel Valley Casting .45 acp 230gn RN using Win 231 Powder? I've used Bullseye, but perfer 231 and can't find any loading information.

Thanks!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Loading Info for Steel Valley Casting Coated Bullets

Cr,

Its Ron from Steel Valley. Alot of people on this forum use my bullets and I'm sure some one will chime in. You can use any standard 230 grain 45 recipie for Win 231 with our bullets.

I personally havent used 231 in a long time. For the last few years I've loaded with Titegroup but found it too smokey. Next year I'll be making the switch to BE-86.

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have.

Can a mod move this to the reloading sub forum ??

And thanks for your purchase !!!
    Last edited by DucatiRon; November 19th, 2017 at 11:30 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Susquehanna County)

Not loading that particular bullet, but generally speaking you can use any published recipe for cast lead loads of the same profile and weight. Just go to Hodgdon's online load data and follow the steps. Be sure you select the variables as the input appears.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

I shot a bunch of those over 5 grains of 231. YMMV

(Clarion County)

The latest and greatest from Hodgdon data site 4.2-5.3 grs 231 with 230 gr lead. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com
    I also use 5.0 gr with a 230 gr NOE RN home cast. My notes show an average of 773.6 fps over the chrono out of a Colt 1911 commander.
    +1 Mods please move to reloading section for more input.
    Last edited by cephas; November 21st, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Thanks Everyone,

Consumed with work this week and didn't have a chance to respond. First, thanks for the input and I must have missed the reloading section on the site. I did revist the Hodgdon site and found another load for 230 gn LRN for 231. Starting load was 4.3 , max load 5.3. C.O.L. was 1.200". Normally I use 1.260" for FMJ. I perfer the Ball Powder, or should say my RCBS Charger perfers the Ball Powder, once I adjust it, it stays dead on.

Ron, I had planned to call this week, but never had a chance, your thoughts?

(Beaver County)

Just watch your over all length. We state to use a 1.210 overall length for our bullets. Reason being is the driving band of the bullet. Not all barrels are created equal. We have found some customers have guns that the rifling starts right after the case mouth in their chamber. Others the rifling starts a bit deeper. Leaving the driving bands of the bullet exposed beyond the brass may lead to the bullet to engaging the driving bands into the rifling before the slide is able to close fully. Basically you will stick the bullet in the bore. When you try to pull the slide back you will pull the bullet from the case and then have to drive the bullet from the barrel. This may be or may not be the case for your gun. Again not all guns are created equal.

So to be safe on a first time load seat the bullet till the top of the driving band is flush with the case mouth. You can then experiment with making it longer until you stick a bullet. But there really is no need to make it longer unless you would have a feeding issue. Which at that length would be a near impossibility.

Remember overall length changes per different design of bullet. 3 different FMJ's can have different lengths because of the design of the Ogive of the bullet.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.