Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Default Re: ARE THERE MOUNTAIN LIONS IN PA?

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    Mtn Lions don't care if the game commission doesn't think they can get laid in PA. They are reproducing anyway. Many people throughout the state have seen their offspring.
    No they think they have because they don’t know what the hell they are looking at.

Look there are people who study and work with wildlife for a living on the state and federal level. Many of them are also game hunters. I’ve heard many of these people speak in podcasts as well as written studies.

This subject has come up a time or two over the last three years since I’ve decided to educate myself on our country’s conservation efforts. I’ve heard the arguments and I’ve heard smarter people then anyone on here in this subject confirm what we already know, that there are no meaningful numbers of lions in PA.

Feel free to disagree if you want but unless you provide some real evidence nothing changes. If not then your just choosing to believe something because you want too.

Late note:

Big cats require big meals and would easily find farms and ranches with livestock including cows and horses. I’ve never heard a single complaint from a farmer or rancher about large predators decimating their herd numbers in PA.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 14th, 2018 at 04:45 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    "SUPPOSEDLY" there are two black bear in ridley creek state park says the game commission.
    They keep it hush hush.
    Why is it always a black thing with you?
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

...and why always bare?

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Why is it always a black thing with you?
    I'm a reformed klan member, keep falling off the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by czarchuck368 View Post
    Most big cats like the Mountain lions we see in our area of PA hunt at night. Have seen big mountain lions three times since 1995 in our area Of Willow Grove, PA near a populated area. Once at 4:00 A.M going to work at the PA turnpike entrance having a Possum in the road ready to eat it. The second time was the third Thursday in November of 2016 at 9:00 P.M. off route 232 near Moreland Road stalking behind a herd of deer crossing Moreland Road. The third time was in January of 2017 coming off Terrwood Road turned on Edge Hill Road and my wife yelled look out, I hit the brakes and a Big Brown Mountain Lion with a thick tail jumped right in front of my car. It was at least 7'-8'long from nose to tail. My wife said she didn't believe me till she saw the cat herself. My dogs Vet assistant lives near the Hunting Valley Golf Course at the end of our street and she and her uncle saw a young cat carrying a big Turkey in its mouth heading across the Reserve field after it was cut. I have paw prints from my back yard and have seen on my camera deer were spooked and ran in the street in front of my house. I recorded a cat calling it's mate at 3:00 A.M. in May of 2017. In 2000 a friend lives across from the Delmont Scout Reservation in Pennsburg, PA and on his way to work he witnessed a gam commission truck loading a about 100 l.b. Mountain lion on their pick up truck. When he talked to the two game commission officials they told him he did not see this. He immediately told the guys in the work trailer and they all said he was full of it too. I visited an animal rehabilitation center in Bucks County and they had a deer in rehab last year that had deep fang marks on it's neck and had to stitch the doe up. Believe me the game commission told me I probably saw a Bob Cat. Years ago I told them I saw a Bob Cat near my house and they said it probably was someones cat. I think they are placing them in the area to keep the deer population down. A friend came across a deer caucus under a tree with leaves spread over it while bow hunting. He was smart enough to lead it alone and backed out of the area. If you want to see one go out at dusk to early morning. They den up during the day. I do not let my dog out in the yard un attended at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by czarchuck368 View Post
    Believe me when I say we have Mountain Lions in PA. I don't know if you remember in the 90's Eye Witness News filmed a small 75 lb. cougar(mountain Lion on the play ground at Newtown Elementary School. The very same morning at the intersection of the PA turnpike and route 611 two of us in different vehicles viewed a big cat brown about 200 lbs ready to devour an opossum. When it saw our lights approaching it took one big leap and cleared two lanes of a 4 lane highway. That mountain lion was at least 8' long from nose to it's thick tail. It shook me up. Since then I saw two one in 2016 at 9:00 at night on November 17, 2016 following behind a group of deer it was stalking behind on route 232 near Moreland Road. Then coming back from the Neshaminy Mall in January 6, 2017 My wife warned me as a large mountain lion jumped right in front of my car following a herd of deer on the golf course back 9. Several people around the wild life reserve have spotted a smaller mountain lion with a turkey in it's mouth. A friend saw game wardens in Pennsburg loading a dead small mountain lion into the back of their pick up. You don't see them because the hunt at dusk and night. Mountain lions usually have a den a cave or old drainage pipe they use for day shelter. I used to track deer and anyone worth their weight in salt knows the difference between a large cat print and what the game commission is telling people are coyote prints. I also have a taped recording of one calling at 3:00 in the A.M. after my dog woke me.

I recall hearing something about the game commision on rt 663, near the Greenlane resivor. They were supposedly telling people fishing to make shure they were armed. Was it bullshit? I dont know, like the elusive cat story its been heard but not seen.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

My brother, who does not hunt, is good friends with his dentist. The dentist (who is a hunter) sent this to him yesterday. Lake Tomahawk is in Columbiana County, OH which is only a few miles from the state line and Beaver County, PA.

It has either a yute or a dog in its mouth. Photo was caught on a trail camera. There have been multiple sighting of it in the last month according to the dentist.

This could be a total bunch of BS for all I know. Just passing along since it is a topic lately.

cougar.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Ain't no bobcat for sure.

(Bucks County)

Tail looks like it is "tacked on". Too pixelated to tell though.

I have permission to hunt a small 40 acre parcel that is POLLUTED with deer. I have hunted this area for the last five years and run 4 trail cameras on the property 365 days per year. I spoke with a neighbor (a non-hunter who lives in a house adjacent to the property) who told me that he has been seeing a "Monster Buck, the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life" every morning in a small field. I have a pretty solid inventory of bucks that live on this farm from my cameras. I can say with absolute certainty that there is not "monster buck" who visits that field every morning. I happen to have a camera in the exact field the neighbor claims he sees this deer. There is a nice 90" 8-point there almost every morning, but its certainly no monster.

Now, do I think the neighbor is lying to me and telling me there is a monster buck there? No. I believe that he, as a non-hunter and non-outdoor enthusiast, just does not know enough about deer to determine what a "monster buck" is. That is the same way I feel about Mt. Lions in PA. I believe that a lot of folks who claim they see Mt Lions genuinely think they saw one. However, 99% of those people cannot tell the difference between a bobcat and a Mt. Lion.

I find it difficult to imagine that there are hundreds, maybe thousands of human Mt. Lion sightings every year in PA, but those same Mt. Lions are so smart they have not stepped foot in front of a trail camera in the last decade. Does not pass the smell test.

I'm waiting to see a samsquanch.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast