Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Default Re: ARE THERE MOUNTAIN LIONS IN PA?

A breeding pair with young of Mtn Lions would leave a path of evidence that could not be ignored. A mother with young would not travel much and as such would take out farm animals, pets and the local game animals in a relatively close proximity. Are there lions in the state...............maybe a gypsy now and then.
    Oh and the shrill sounds at night that can make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. Two animals do that that are native to our state. The Screech Owl and the Bobcat. Ever see a house cat in heat or hear house cats or feral cats mating? Bobcats can make you crap your paints on a quiet night when they get horned up! I had a Screech Owl let loose on a call while I was waiting for daylight to break in small game season decades ago. I couldn't wait to end the hunt so I could get home, clean up and burn my underwear! That sound will make you take back things you never stole!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Montgomery County)

Most big cats like the Mountain lions we see in our area of PA hunt at night. Have seen big mountain lions three times since 1995 in our area Of Willow Grove, PA near a populated area. Once at 4:00 A.M going to work at the PA turnpike entrance having a Possum in the road ready to eat it. The second time was the third Thursday in November of 2016 at 9:00 P.M. off route 232 near Moreland Road stalking behind a herd of deer crossing Moreland Road. The third time was in January of 2017 coming off Terrwood Road turned on Edge Hill Road and my wife yelled look out, I hit the brakes and a Big Brown Mountain Lion with a thick tail jumped right in front of my car. It was at least 7'-8'long from nose to tail. My wife said she didn't believe me till she saw the cat herself. My dogs Vet assistant lives near the Hunting Valley Golf Course at the end of our street and she and her uncle saw a young cat carrying a big Turkey in its mouth heading across the Reserve field after it was cut. I have paw prints from my back yard and have seen on my camera deer were spooked and ran in the street in front of my house. I recorded a cat calling it's mate at 3:00 A.M. in May of 2017. In 2000 a friend lives across from the Delmont Scout Reservation in Pennsburg, PA and on his way to work he witnessed a gam commission truck loading a about 100 l.b. Mountain lion on their pick up truck. When he talked to the two game commission officials they told him he did not see this. He immediately told the guys in the work trailer and they all said he was full of it too. I visited an animal rehabilitation center in Bucks County and they had a deer in rehab last year that had deep fang marks on it's neck and had to stitch the doe up. Believe me the game commission told me I probably saw a Bob Cat. Years ago I told them I saw a Bob Cat near my house and they said it probably was someones cat. I think they are placing them in the area to keep the deer population down. A friend came across a deer caucus under a tree with leaves spread over it while bow hunting. He was smart enough to lead it alone and backed out of the area. If you want to see one go out at dusk to early morning. They den up during the day. I do not let my dog out in the yard un attended at night.

Here we go again....

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by czarchuck368 View Post
    Most big cats like the Mountain lions we see in our area of PA hunt at night. Have seen big mountain lions three times since 1995 in our area Of Willow Grove, PA near a populated area. Once at 4:00 A.M going to work at the PA turnpike entrance having a Possum in the road ready to eat it. The second time was the third Thursday in November of 2016 at 9:00 P.M. off route 232 near Moreland Road stalking behind a herd of deer crossing Moreland Road. The third time was in January of 2017 coming off Terrwood Road turned on Edge Hill Road and my wife yelled look out, I hit the brakes and a Big Brown Mountain Lion with a thick tail jumped right in front of my car. It was at least 7'-8'long from nose to tail. My wife said she didn't believe me till she saw the cat herself. My dogs Vet assistant lives near the Hunting Valley Golf Course at the end of our street and she and her uncle saw a young cat carrying a big Turkey in its mouth heading across the Reserve field after it was cut. I have paw prints from my back yard and have seen on my camera deer were spooked and ran in the street in front of my house. I recorded a cat calling it's mate at 3:00 A.M. in May of 2017. In 2000 a friend lives across from the Delmont Scout Reservation in Pennsburg, PA and on his way to work he witnessed a gam commission truck loading a about 100 l.b. Mountain lion on their pick up truck. When he talked to the two game commission officials they told him he did not see this. He immediately told the guys in the work trailer and they all said he was full of it too. I visited an animal rehabilitation center in Bucks County and they had a deer in rehab last year that had deep fang marks on it's neck and had to stitch the doe up. Believe me the game commission told me I probably saw a Bob Cat. Years ago I told them I saw a Bob Cat near my house and they said it probably was someones cat. I think they are placing them in the area to keep the deer population down. A friend came across a deer caucus under a tree with leaves spread over it while bow hunting. He was smart enough to lead it alone and backed out of the area. If you want to see one go out at dusk to early morning. They den up during the day. I do not let my dog out in the yard un attended at night.
    And yet, zero evidence exists. Not one verifiable trail cam photo, not one cell phone photo, not one killed on the road. Again, I make allowance that a rogue cat could stray through PA. There is no breeding population of mountain lions in PA. All of the outdoor writers would love to break the story. None have had the opportunity because NO ONE has provided any evidence to make a credible story. It's simply inconceivable given the amount of surveillance, trail and cell phone camera that they live in PA and are never photographed.

As to the PAGC bringing in mountain lions. First, deer are a big moneymaker for the PAGC. It would be foolish to kill the deer. Second, releasing mountain lion to kill the deer would lead to killing things other than deer, like family dogs and family members. Mountain lions kill people.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    And yet, zero evidence exists. Not one verifiable trail cam photo, not one cell phone photo, not one killed on the road. Again, I make allowance that a rogue cat could stray through PA. There is no breeding population of mountain lions in PA. All of the outdoor writers would love to break the story. None have had the opportunity because NO ONE has provided any evidence to make a credible story. It's simply inconceivable given the amount of surveillance, trail and cell phone camera that they live in PA and are never photographed.

As to the PAGC bringing in mountain lions. First, deer are a big moneymaker for the PAGC. It would be foolish to kill the deer. Second, releasing mountain lion to kill the deer would lead to killing things other than deer, like family dogs and family members. Mountain lions kill people.
    Don't waste your time UJ this dude has 7 posts over his time here and everyone is the same story in several different mountain lion or cougar threads.

He's a big cat troll of some sort.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 12th, 2018 at 12:32 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I almost hit a deer tonight. I think a mountain lion probably chased it onto the road.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I almost hit a deer tonight. I think a mountain lion probably chased it onto the road.
    I was 379.281 yards behind you and I hit that friggin mountain lion. Damn near wrecked my Huffy bicycle...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by czarchuck368 View Post
    Wildlife rescue centers that get funding from the state are not allowed to "stitch the doe up".
    Deer are considered overpopulated and are not allowed to be treated and released.
    Unless that wildlife center is 100% privately funded, this story sounds inaccurate.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Clever son's o bitches

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Wildlife rescue centers that get funding from the state are not allowed to "stitch the doe up".
    Deer are considered overpopulated and are not allowed to be treated and released.
    Unless that wildlife center is 100% privately funded, this story sounds inaccurate.
    Maybe the Aark in Chalfont? I think i've seen deer there before....

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast