Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Default Re: ARE THERE MOUNTAIN LIONS IN PA?

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Because they're delusional....that's why.

You are confusing the minuscule possibility of an escaped or planted specimen being sighted with the absolute countless sightings that have zero evidence other than the witnesses lying eyes. Bigfoot has more documented proof than lions in PA.

If there is a .00001% chance of a lion in PA then there are a metric shit ton of liars/lunatics claiming to have seen the same cat across the state at the same time.

Let me know when someone can sort that out.

Or maybe a picture of anything that isn't complete BS.
    How about an actual mountain lion, body and all, traced across Pennsylvania in 2011 by scientists? Would that qualify? It certainly seems like better evidence than a bigfoot. In 2011 wildlife researchers tagged a mountain lion in Wisconsin, which was later sighted and reported in Pennsylvania, and was then killed by a motorist in Connecticut. It was the same lion. Were those witnesses delusional? How many roads did it cross on the way to Connecticut? How many sightings during that year can we say with certainty were delusional, vs those who were real? If we know a lion passed through, how hard is it to believe people who say they saw it, who match the timetable and the general route?

If one passed through that happened to have been tracked, what are the odds that others have passed through at other times but were not tracked?

New York State acknowledges that although there is not a sustainable reproducing population, there have been occasional cats drifting through, escaped from other places, or just on a long walk. There have been cougar hairs, tracks and other documented evidence in West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, New York, Connecticut, and Vermont in the past 25 years.

Why is it so hard to believe that these lions occasionally escape from their captivity, or occasionally go for a long walk, and are occasionally seen and reported by various people?

It is not bigfoot. It is a legitimate species that can live and survive in the Pennsylvania biome, has done so in the past, and has been documented passing through, and passing through most of our neighboring states. Bigfoot is a belief that some have. Mountain lions are a well-known species that most of us have seen in zoos and on nature videos. Nodody disputes their existence.

You are confusing the fact that there is not a sustainable reproducing lion population in PA with the certainty that there are occasional lions in Pennsylvania. Since there are occasional lions in Pennsylvania, why is it so hard to believe the occasional and rare reported sightings?
    Sic semper tyrannis

Hokkmike Guest

I have seen two. That's enough for me.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post
    How about an actual mountain lion, body and all, traced across Pennsylvania in 2011 by scientists? Would that qualify? It certainly seems like better evidence than a bigfoot. In 2011 wildlife researchers tagged a mountain lion in Wisconsin, which was later sighted and reported in Pennsylvania, and was then killed by a motorist in Connecticut. It was the same lion. Were those witnesses delusional? How many roads did it cross on the way to Connecticut? How many sightings during that year can we say with certainty were delusional, vs those who were real? If we know a lion passed through, how hard is it to believe people who say they saw it, who match the timetable and the general route?

If one passed through that happened to have been tracked, what are the odds that others have passed through at other times but were not tracked?

New York State acknowledges that although there is not a sustainable reproducing population, there have been occasional cats drifting through, escaped from other places, or just on a long walk. There have been cougar hairs, tracks and other documented evidence in West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, New York, Connecticut, and Vermont in the past 25 years.

Why is it so hard to believe that these lions occasionally escape from their captivity, or occasionally go for a long walk, and are occasionally seen and reported by various people?

It is not bigfoot. It is a legitimate species that can live and survive in the Pennsylvania biome, has done so in the past, and has been documented passing through, and passing through most of our neighboring states. Bigfoot is a belief that some have. Mountain lions are a well-known species that most of us have seen in zoos and on nature videos. Nodody disputes their existence.

You are confusing the fact that there is not a sustainable reproducing lion population in PA with the certainty that there are occasional lions in Pennsylvania. Since there are occasional lions in Pennsylvania, why is it so hard to believe the occasional and rare reported sightings?
    That last part is the problem. I've argued on a Perry County page with more than a dozen people that "seen" one or have a relative that "seen" one or heard one. And, in a time of everyone having a camera via their phone and a lot people putting out multiple game cameras, no one has a photo of one. PennLive/Patriot News does a story every year and all kinds of people claim to have had encounters yet no one has a photo. The other thing that is an undeniable fact is that if it lives in an area, it dies on the road. Every species gets run over.

I don't have any problem accepting a rogue cat passing through like the one killed in CT. The problem is the quantity of people and frequency with which they see mountain lions. I don't doubt they think they saw a mountain lion, I just don't accept that is what they actually saw in 99% of the reported sightings. There is no breeding population of big cats in PA confirmed by a complete lack of physical evidence.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Yeah, We didn't have elk or coyotes for about 100 years in PA, Bears were not in NJ, yet here we are , with a bear eating some poor bastard last year in NJ
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I have seen two. That's enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Yeah, We didn't have elk or coyotes for about 100 years in PA, Bears were not in NJ, yet here we are , with a bear eating some poor bastard last year in NJ
    Well said my brother, on both accounts...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    with a bear eating some poor bastard last year in NJ
    That was a suicide, guy decided he'd rather be eaten by a bear than live in NJ.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by hog45 View Post

There is zero proof that the CT cat came through Pa, other than more anicdotal sightings and claims. It's just as likely it came down from the north via Canada, probably more likely.
    Regardless, just because one male cat gets wanderlust every 25 or fifty years does zilch to justify the countless reports. I and others have never denied the possibility of a stray, or disposed of, or planted lion by some wacko animal nut job, and since every lion seen is proof positive in the individuals eyes, and none will admit to the more likely scenario that they are mistaken (like bigfoot sightings) it's clear that it must be true. Unless you step away from wanting to believe for one moment, and realize that if even 1% of the sightings are valid there would have to be a modest population. Enough for there to be verifiable documented encounters, roadkill, or any ounce of proof.

The incredible scenario that played out and worked in the favor of the Ct cat, until it didn't, predictably is being used to verify all other sightings.

BTW do you have a link to your claim that it was tagged and tracked?
    First I've heard that.
    Last edited by God's Country; August 25th, 2016 at 01:00 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    That last part is the problem. I've argued on a Perry County page with more than a dozen people that "seen" one or have a relative that "seen" one or heard one. And, in a time of everyone having a camera via their phone and a lot people putting out multiple game cameras, no one has a photo of one. PennLive/Patriot News does a story every year and all kinds of people claim to have had encounters yet no one has a photo. The other thing that is an undeniable fact is that if it lives in an area, it dies on the road. Every species gets run over.

I don't have any problem accepting a rogue cat passing through like the one killed in CT. The problem is the quantity of people and frequency with which they see mountain lions. I don't doubt they think they saw a mountain lion, I just don't accept that is what they actually saw in 99% of the reported sightings. There is no breeding population of big cats in PA confirmed by a complete lack of physical evidence.
    If we could convince one of PA's mountain lions to attack an inner-city dweller, we would instantly have hours of youtube footage on hand.

(Bucks County)

Had to... just too perfect...
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post

It is one thing for you to be a shill for your pension, but for the PGC. This is too far sir. Too far.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast