Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Toomey response 11/17

My favorite part is boldened
    November 17, 2017

Dear Mr. ,
    Thank you for contacting me about national firearms policy in the wake of the recent mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas. As someone who has been a leader in sensible, bipartisan efforts to expand background checks for gun purchases and to stop terrorists from purchasing firearms, I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
    On November 5, 2017, one month after the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history in Las Vegas, Nevada, America suffered yet another horrifying tragedy. A former member of the U.S. Air Force, Devin Kelley, opened fire in a Baptist church in a small Texas town during Sunday worship services. He killed 25 people, including multiple children, and wounded 20.
    Like all Americans, I was horrified to learn about the mass murder of innocent civilians. I am grateful for the brave local civilians and first responders who acted swiftly and selflessly to apprehend the shooter and protect others. This heinous attack was carried out by a deranged individual who was prohibited by federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm due to a conviction for domestic violence by a military court. Tragically, he was able to pass background checks to purchase firearms because the Air Force failed to report his criminal record to the FBI in accordance with federal law.
    Since the massacres in Sutherland Springs and Las Vegas, there have been renewed calls for Congress to take action to confront gun violence. I believe that Congress can and should take steps to address this issue.
    First, the Air Force's failure to report Kelley's criminal record to the FBI is deeply troubling and unacceptable. We must ensure that the military closes any gaps in its reporting procedures to help prevent future tragedies from occurring. That is why, on November 7, 2017, Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and I sent a letter to the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) calling on them to conduct a comprehensive review of the military's procedures for reporting criminal records to the FBI. Our letter requests that the DoD and DHS provide a report and regular updates on their review and the actions they are taking to ensure that accurate and consistent reporting of records.
    Secondly, we should take steps to improve and expand criminal background checks. Towards that end, in 2013, I introduced a bipartisan amendment, along with Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), to the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (S. 649). Our amendment had three parts. The first two parts were designed to make it more difficult for criminals and dangerously mentally ill persons to acquire firearms. Specifically, the first part would have improved state compliance with the existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The second part would have expanded background checks for gun sales to include commercial sales at gun shows or through the Internet. The third part of our amendment would have provided law abiding citizens with expanded opportunities to exercise their Second Amendment rights.
    I share your concerns regarding the tragic misuse of firearms in our country. We must work together to forge a bipartisan consensus on gun safety, rather than talk past one another with partisan rhetoric. In my view, keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists, convicted criminals, and the dangerously mentally ill is not gun control, but a common sense public safety measure that is fully consistent with my strong support of Second Amendment rights. I remain committed to working with my Senate colleagues to find sensible, bipartisan solutions to address gun safety.
    Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.
    Sincerely,

Signature
    Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Toomey response 11/17

this light-bulb headed turd needs to go away.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Dear Mr. ,
    Thank you for contacting me about national firearms policy in the wake of the recent mass shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas. As someone who has been a leader in sensible, bipartisan efforts to expand background checks for gun purchases and to stop terrorists from purchasing firearms, I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

On November 5, 2017, one month after the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history in Las Vegas, Nevada, America suffered yet another horrifying tragedy. A former member of the U.S. Air Force, Devin Kelley, opened fire in a Baptist church in a small Texas town during Sunday worship services. He killed 25 people, including multiple children, and wounded 20.

Like all Americans, I was horrified to learn about the mass murder of innocent civilians. I am grateful for the brave local civilians and first responders who acted swiftly and selflessly to apprehend the shooter and protect others. This heinous attack was carried out by a deranged individual who was prohibited by federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm due to a conviction for domestic violence by a military court. Tragically, he was able to pass background checks to purchase firearms because the Air Force failed to report his criminal record to the FBI in accordance with federal law.

Since the massacres in Sutherland Springs and Las Vegas, there have been renewed calls for Congress to take action to confront gun violence. I believe that Congress can and should take steps to address this issue.

First, the Air Force's failure to report Kelley's criminal record to the FBI is deeply troubling and unacceptable. We must ensure that the military closes any gaps in its reporting procedures to help prevent future tragedies from occurring. That is why, on November 7, 2017, Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) and I sent a letter to the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) calling on them to conduct a comprehensive review of the military's procedures for reporting criminal records to the FBI. Our letter requests that the DoD and DHS provide a report and regular updates on their review and the actions they are taking to ensure that accurate and consistent reporting of records.

Secondly, we should take steps to improve and expand criminal background checks. Towards that end, in 2013, I introduced a bipartisan amendment, along with Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), to the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (S. 649). Our amendment had three parts. The first two parts were designed to make it more difficult for criminals and dangerously mentally ill persons to acquire firearms.

Specifically, the first part would have improved state compliance with the existing National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

The second part would have expanded background checks for gun sales to include commercial sales at gun shows or through the Internet.

The third part of our amendment would have provided law abiding citizens with expanded opportunities to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

I share your concerns regarding the tragic misuse of firearms in our country. We must work together to forge a bipartisan consensus on gun safety, rather than talk past one another with partisan rhetoric. In my view, keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists, convicted criminals, and the dangerously mentally ill is not gun control, but a common sense public safety measure that is fully consistent with my strong support of Second Amendment rights. I remain committed to working with my Senate colleagues to find sensible, bipartisan solutions to address gun safety.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

(Philadelphia County)

What has Toomey done to demonstrate his "strong support of Second Amendment rights"?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Tioga County)

Someone remind Toomey that the worst “mass shooting” in American history was the “Wounded Knee Massacre” in South Dakota, when 150-300 Native Americans were gunned down by the U.S. army in South Dakota.

Governments are the biggest killers.

(Lancaster County)

So what would you rather have, a politician’s response like Tooney’s or the unpolished, say what he thinks and means responses Trump gives and is critiqued on?

“He sounds like an idiot, he needed water, it’s why he will only serve one term”.

(Lancaster County)

He talks about rhetoric but it’s been years and he still mentions gun show loopholes and internet sales. Here’s an idea, educate yourself on a subject before speaking or trying to do something Toomey

I just remembered , he molested me 45yrs ago!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    I just remembered , he molested me 45yrs ago!
    Yeah, but you liked so it don't count...

(Bucks County)

In my view, keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists, convicted criminals, and the dangerously mentally ill is not gun control, but a common sense public safety measure that is fully consistent with my strong support of Second Amendment rights.
    On first glance it sounds reasonable.............but once he said "common sense" Effe him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast