Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Daniel Defense M4A1 for long range shooting?

Question for those of you that do long range precision style shooting. I have a DD M4A1 SOCOM AR. Been trying for years to get into long range shooting. Problem is that there are no long range ranges around Philly area. There is a 200 yard range at the gun club I belong to, so I've been mulling on the idea of taking that DD out to it. Question is before I start setting it up with scopes and bipods etc etc is it inherently capable of chasing that MOA sub MOA rabbit at 200 yards or should I save the money and get me a dedicated long range rifle even though I will rarely utilize that dedicated rifle's full potential?

Default Re: Daniel Defense M4A1 for long range shooting?

Realistically a chrome lined barrel made to be "milspec" is more of a 2MOA barrel at best, maybe slightly better with "match" ammo. Milspec for the M4 is 4MOA if memory serves me right. The good news is you can just replace the barrel with a better quality "match grade" barrel for a few hundred dollars. If you are on a budget you could always pick up a Wilson air gauged match barrel. RRA uses them on their rifles for accuracy and it is not uncommon to get 1/2moa out of them with good ammo. You could also get another complete upper bu that is obviously more money.

Also you will want to budget for a better trigger if you don't already have one.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    Question for those of you that do long range precision style shooting. I have a DD M4A1 SOCOM AR. Been trying for years to get into long range shooting. Problem is that there are no long range ranges around Philly area. There is a 200 yard range at the gun club I belong to, so I've been mulling on the idea of taking that DD out to it. Question is before I start setting it up with scopes and bipods etc etc is it inherently capable of chasing that MOA sub MOA rabbit at 200 yards or should I save the money and get me a dedicated long range rifle even though I will rarely utilize that dedicated rifle's full potential?
    200 yards really shouldn't be a problem for a carbine barrel of any kind.
    If you can see the target, the rifle is sighted in and you account for any environmental factors you'll hit what you're aiming at.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    If you can see the target, the rifle is sighted in and you account for any environmental factors you'll hit what you're aiming at.
    Yep.

(Allegheny County)

OP
    FYI, so you can talk the talk.
    200 yards is not "Long" range, it's "Short" range.
    300-600 yards is "Medium" range.
    1000 yards would be considered "Long" range.

As other posters said, 1 MOA groups at 200 yards out of that particular set up is going to be a challenge, but you can still have fun trying!

If you'd like to stick with the AR platform, you can always buy a dedicated match grade upper (20") and throw at least a $400-600 scope on it.
    And then buy either match grade ammo or hand load for it. You'd then have the hardware platform for obtaining your goal.
    You'll still need to develop the skills "behind the trigger" to place those shots exactly where you want them.
    Last edited by Hawk; November 18th, 2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Thanks, I know I can hit it I was wondering if I can hit it with a 2 inch group in the process, after the shooter is taken out of the equation, or it will be pretty much a no go because the hardware is too loose on the tolerance. By the looks of what other guys are saying the hardware would be an 8 inch or so at 200 because it's technically SBR plus the ammo give or take an inch. So it's a 7-9 inch hard ceiling for my current setup.

(Lawrence County)

Your gun should be able to hold 4" with decent ammo at 200. Some guns are better....some are worse, but you need decent ammo and that's not a value pack from Wal Mart.

Lycanshortbarrelsdon'thurtaccuracythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    OP
    FYI, so you can talk the talk.
    200 yards is not "Long" range, it's "Short" range.
    300-600 yards is "Medium" range.
    1000 yards would be considered "Long" range.

As other posters said, 1 MOA groups at 200 yards out of that particular set up is going to be a challenge, but you can still have fun trying!

If you'd like to stick with the AR platform, you can always buy a dedicated match grade upper (20") and throw at least a $400-600 scope on it.
    And then buy either match grade ammo or hand load for it. You'd then have the hardware platform for obtaining your goal.
    You'll still need to develop the skills "behind the trigger" to place those shots exactly where you want them.
    Thanks Hawk, upper is probably the least invasive route to go since I like my current SBRish setup for training and self defense. Which one would you recommend another one by DD or LaRue or is there something more middle of the road that doesn't pinch financially as much and of the good quality. Same question about the Scope .

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    Thanks Hawk, upper is probably the least invasive route to go since I like my current SBRish setup for training and self defense. Which one would you recommend another one by DD or LaRue or is there something more middle of the road that doesn't pinch financially as much and of the good quality. Same question about the Scope .
    Bravo Company makes quality upper assemblies and they are priced a lot more reasonable than DD or LaRue.
    Ive had good luck with PSA premium uppers too.
    I use my AR's as workhorses, so I dont know too much about match grade barrels.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

If you want to buy an upper to shoot tight groups you might as well step up to a 20". Something from White Oak Armament would be a good place to start. They have quite a few different uppers available. The BCM uppers with the stainless barrels are good but I'd give the accuracy edge to WOA. https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast