Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default asking for input on a letter i am composing to the Auditor General DePasquale

im still writting it and i havent checked for spelling or punctuation, so no grammar nazi's please.

but i would like your oppinions as to the content of the letter, and if you have any other issues that should be addressed, that i have missed. this is my personal oppinion so some may find it offensive to your own personal oppinion, i wont appoligise for that, but i would ask that you offer only constructive comments. if you feel im wrong on some point explain why please.

Sir,
    Your latest news release regarding your intention to prepare a special report on the issues with firearm related deaths concerns me.
    As a disabled retired veteran, I purposely moved to Pennsylvania due to the ease of restriction from Maryland’s laws. I was taught in the military how to safely use firearms, and that those skills once learned must be maintained to ensure safe and proper operation. However, no amount of training, practice, or familiarity, will ensure that accident’s will not happen.
    While stationed aboard the U.S.S. Yorktown, we had a firearms related injury, we were training our sailors on how to shoot properly. During the live fire portion of the training a round ricocheted off a target stand and hit one of our participants, the wound was life threatening as the individual was hit in the neck. We had the ability and the training to slow the immediate bleeding , get the individual onto a backboard and down to medical where he could be stabilized, for transport to a hospital. I offer this as proof that no amount of training will stop accidents, or they would not be called accidents.
    At the same time there is no more heinous crime that that committed with a firearm. When an individual takes a gun into their hand with the intention of harming someone else, be it by terrorizing an individual into complicity, or by doing physical damage by discharging the firearm, they should be treated to the full extent that the laws can enforce.
    Those laws concerning criminal prosecution however will not stop someone from choosing to do something illegal, look at the latest reported mass shootings,
    the Texas church shooter, was prohibited by law from owning a firearm, it does not matter that the military failed to inform anyone about it. “18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9) (relating to unlawful acts) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence…” he committed his first crime during the purchase of the firearm, by not admitting to already be prohibited under 18 U.S.C. he chose to break the law to obtain the firearms used to murder the victims.
    On the other hand the Vegas shooter had committed no crimes in the purchase and ownership of firearms, they were bought legally, they were maintained and stored legally, until he chose as an individual to take another human life.
    Each individual is and should be responsible for their own actions, no court, officer, or medical professional, can control the actions of an individual that wishes to do harm to themselves or others, without first taking away that persons other rights. The only way to ensure that someone will not be injured with a fire arm is to ensure no firearms exist. this is an impossible task, as you would have to go house by house on a weekly basis to ensure someone is not manufacturing a firearm in their basement or garage, you would have to disarm all law enforcement officers, security guards, military, and any other organization that would have a necessity of owning a firearm even in an unarmed society. To not do so will allow access to firearms and the possibility of a death or injury by those available firearms.
    The only safety measures that will reduce injuries and deaths from firearms are proper practice with the individual weapon. As I stated above, even with extensively trained military members accidents can happen. No training requirements will ensure that accidents won’t happen, no mandated prerequisite requirements will ensure that accidents won’t happen. Nothing but continued practice and education with the firearm will reduce injuries and death from a firearm.
    If you want to reduce childhood instances of injuries and death with a firearm, why don’t you seek to bring back the training and safety course that were once offered in every public high school. The state requires it for high school drivers
    “Drivers Education is required in order to upgrade from a junior license to a senior license / unrestricted license before you are 18.”
    The same should be applied to firearms in my opinion, as it is legal for a person under the age of 18 to own and shoot a firearm, then for the safety of these young people, as well as other members of the community, we should require them to have training in the use of firearms. By returning this curriculum to our high schools, we can ensure that these students have been familiarized with the proper safety for handling a firearm, in most common situations. We take away the mysticism associated with firearms at a young age and ensure that a young adult’s knowledge doesn’t come from the most readily available source of video games. Not that I am advocating for an increase in restrictions on violent video games, as even the military has found that video games improve the tactics and abilities of their members. But the military doesn’t rely on video games for their sole act of familiarization.
    Actually there is a one size fits all solution to gun violence, it is just not easily managed. The easiest way to ensure that gun accidents and violence is curbed to a negligent level is to ensure familiarity and education, as well as ownership. If every person knows how to properly handle a firearm, then the chance of an accident is reduced, if everyone owns a firearm, then the only person who will commit violence with a firearm is one who knows that their actions will commit them to a situation that will not could but will endanger their own life from their victim.
    It’s a proven fact that properly maintained firearms do not constitute a danger in and of themselves. They are inanimate objects with the capability of causing harm only when put into the hands of a human being. No gun in and of itself has ever shot someone while lying on the ground or sitting in a holster. It is only when another object, i.e. the human hand, manipulates that firearm does it become a danger.
    If the firearm is either not properly maintained or was improperly manufactured, that is a different situation entirely, with manufacturer issues, the company will issue a recall and is required by law to fix or replace the defective item be it a firearm or a baby stroller.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: asking for input on a letter i am composing to the Auditor General DePasquale

I think its very well written.
    Problem is, will that congress critter actually read it?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Columbia County)

Default Re: asking for input on a letter i am composing to the Auditor General DePasquale

Here’s the link of the news concerning Auditor General DePasquale anticipated “gun report”.
    http://www.paauditor.gov/press-relea...ove-gun-safety

I don’t know how much authority this position has, hopefully not much. If you read his statement in the link you will find the infamous gun control buzzwords; “commonsense gun safety measures”. Here’s more on that issue. This is the third paragraph. Note how it says “gun safety activists” and “sporting groups”. There’s nothing in there about meeting with the gun lobby, NRA, or gun owners concerned about self-defense.

To prepare a special report on the topic, DePasquale said he plans to meet with a wide spectrum of organizations with a variety of perspectives, including sporting groups, gun safety activists, law enforcement, medical and mental health professionals, firearm dealers, and domestic violence prevention advocates, among others.
    In addition to the aforementioned he is a democrat so be prepared for an anti-second amendment report from this guy.

Regarding your letter, if I write a letter/email my congressman I usually keep it concise, to the point, and tell him what I what him to do. I persuade him to vote yes for pro-gun bills and no for the anti-gun bills. No one is going to be interested in my interpretation of the 2nd amendment. I guess my criticism on your letter is Auditor General DePasquale is probably not going to read your letter. It’s going to be read by office personnel who might even stop reading it once they find out its pro gun. Then they might put in the pro-gun pile and they may keep a count of how many pro and con letters and emails they get on this subject. Overall I think there are too many analogies and examples in the letter that the point you are trying to make may get lost. Maybe a shorten version, with a persuasive comment like this would be a more efficient.

“In the event your future report endorses any gun restrictions I will take that in consideration when I vote in the next Auditor General election and I will communicate your efforts to restrict gun rights to other PA gun owners”.
    Last edited by eagleclaw; November 17th, 2017 at 02:36 AM.

(Berks County)

'Thank you for your valuable insight. I will take your input under consideration regarding this important issue.'

Translation: I couldn't care less what you think and I'll do whatever I want.

(Bucks County)

Too long.
    Last edited by Bang; November 17th, 2017 at 01:30 PM.

(Beaver County)

I was told not to send the letter in a standard white business envelope, use one that will stand out, like colored and/or oversize.

(Montgomery County)

Bishop, post your letter when it's finished and edited to get comprehensive feedback from me and others.
    The final editing does a lot to change the overall perception and message of a letter.

I agree with previous comments that shorter is better, and long letters get muddled even if factually accurate.
    I disagree that writing a pro gun letter to an anti gun Liberal Democrat is pointless.

A silent constituency is interpreted by government as tacit agreement or ignorance.
    This silence emboldens the bad actors into even more egregious violations of the law and public trust.
    Our letters, phone calls, and emails put pressure on those in government, and keep them constantly aware that many in the population are watching them.

Government employees are human, and all humans respond to pressure.
    So while they may appear to ignore our opposing viewpoints, in reality they are very aware of our political organization and activism.
    Stay alert, stay actively engaged, and always contact your government representatives regardless of their stated positions.

Thank you for getting involved and writing your letter.
    I hope that you will remain politically active, and I hope that others will be encouraged to do the same.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    I was told not to send the letter in a standard white business envelope, use one that will stand out, like colored and/or oversize.
    Yeah like rub dog poop all over it before dropping it in the mail..
    actually wonder how many people try to mail feces to the capitol?
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post

Try one of these.

I'm sure his staffers will give it special attention.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    actually wonder how many people try to mail feces to the capitol?
    Apparently, not enough.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast