Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Kramer Sheepskin Clip Holster Review

I'm feeling vaguely bored this evening, what with the snow and all, so I figured I'd take a few minutes to review a recent purchase.

Back in early January, I decided I needed a new IWB holster, for those days when I needed a little more concealment than my usual Alessi or Del Fatti OWB holster was good for. I've avoided IWB with most guns, for a long time, because they're uncomfortable as hell for me. I've tried EVERY holster out there. I'm not kidding when I say this -- and I feel like an idiot for it -- I've spent over $1000 or so on IWB holsters over the years, and I've sold almost all of them. The only IWB I've found remotely comfortable for extended periods of time was a j-frame S&W in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. I think it's just the way my frame is, and there's nothing to be done about it.

So, I don't like to carry "just" a j-frame. I wanted to carry my H&K P7M8, which is what I usually carry OWB. I was poring over websites, trying to find something that might be a little different and that might work. I ended up on the Kramer Leather site, and saw the Sheepskin Clip.

It is billed as a non-hard moulded pouch, secured by a clip, with a thick sheepskin facing on the body side of the holster. I figured, what the heck, I can always sell it if it doesn't work out for me. So, about 3 weeks later, they make it, and it shows up. I paid $102, shipped.

Here are a few basic pics:

I have to say, as a preliminary issue, I'm very pleased.

First: The basical physical stuff. The leather is excellent quality, just thick enough to be solid, but not too much. Good, quality horsehide (I'm not a horsehide snob, most of my holsters are cowhide, I'm just commenting). Stitching is solid and uniform, with no dangling threads. The clip is solid, and secured to the holster. The sheepskin facing appears to be sewed and glued to the back of the holster. All in all it looks like typical "A" level work from a top holster shop.

Here is a pic of my P7M8 in the holster:

Second: How does it feel?

In a word: WOW! This holster is, no joke, more comfortable than 99% of OWB holsters on the market. The sheepskin flattens out, so it feels no bulkier than a regular leather IWB. And it's soft -- we're talking really, really soft. I've never, ever, worn, seen, or even heard of, an IWB holster this comfortable. Remember, too, we're talking about a P7M8. Fully loaded, this gun weighs over 30 oz, and is solid steel. Not a lightweight by any means. I'd imagine that a lighter gun would be even better.

Third: How does it "wear?"

It holds the P7 as securely as any IWB can. I expected that it would be less secure than a hard moulded IWB in terms of "active" movement retention. Nope. The soft leather actually seems to squeeze the gun tighter than a moulded holster because it compresses.

One handed reholstering is possible, with practice.

The holster retained belt position, thoughout days of wear. I've never liked the idea of a "clip" holster. This one is the best I've seen. During 200+ draw-fire-reholster drills at the range, it never even twitched on my belt, much less came out with the gun. It didn't shift around, and never felt "floppy." Draw speed was no more or less fast than any other leather IWB.

Here is a pic of it being worn:

As you can see, it's about as tight to the body as any IWB can be on a skinny fellow.

All said, this holster is a keeper, and it was (for me) money well spent. If you've hated IWB in the past, this holster is worth a try. Since getting it, I haven't bothered with OWB.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Kramer Sheepskin Clip Holster Review

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    my usual Alessi or Del Fatti OWB holster
    Excellent review...you do buy some uber-priced gear, it must be said. Are these the unicorn-skin models or just the Sasquatch-lined versions?

Btw, I, too, have gone through that expensive "buy, test, become discontented, then resell at a net loss" cycle with plenty of holsters, too.

I found that the single-clip (or, 2 very close clips, a la first gen Sidearmor IWB or Milt Sparks Summer Special) is acceptably stable up to a certain size gun, but no larger. Larger handled-guns start to have too much weight offset from the centerline. Thus I can carry a G19 this way, but not really a G17. The benefit of the single-clip style is that they're very quick to put on / take off for that quick trip to the store....as opposed to the more supportive wide-slip style of the CTAC or the Milt Sparks VMII, where you spend a fair amount of time wrestling it into place.
    Last edited by dgg9; February 15th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Excellent review...you do buy some uber-priced gear, it must be said. Are these the unicorn-skin models or just the Sasquatch-lined versions?
    Yep, but you've got it backwards -- virgin unicorn skin lined, with Sasquatch exterior facing.

And as far as buying uber-priced stuff goes: I went nuts last year with buying gun stuff because the baby was coming. I knew that once he was born my wife wasn't going to let me get any gun stuff, so I figured I'd get as much in as I could, when I could.

The Kramer was pure whim and earned me one hell of a glare and snarl from her when the box showed up. "Soooooooooooo, I see you've bought ANOTHER holster, hmmmm?"
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    And as far as buying uber-priced stuff goes: I went nuts last year
    I went through a spasm of self-indulgence a few months ago -- there's just something about fine leather goods, although in my heart I know that kydex is more functional(*). Ordered (still waiting for) scabbard holsters from Bulman and HBE.

* kind of mirrors the Glock vs 1911 decision process, no? Well, not completely -- a good leather OWB scabbard will conceal better than a kydex OWB, so I can cling to at least that much utilitarianism.

In this regard, being single is much easier. No glares waiting for me yesterday as I unloaded the 4 cases of ammo from the car...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post

* kind of mirrors the Glock vs 1911 decision process, no? Well, not completely -- a good leather OWB scabbard will conceal better than a kydex OWB, so I can cling to at least that much utilitarianism.

In this regard, being single is much easier. No glares waiting for me yesterday as I unloaded the 4 cases of ammo from the car...
    Very true on all points -- especially the spending/glare one.

Kydex, from a pure function standpoint, really is much better for OWB. More durable, ridiculously fast, more secure retention, waterproof, cheaper, etc.

Ugly as sin, though

(Allegheny County)

Rule10b5,

Thanks for posting this!
    I may not need it now, but it looks like a good idea, especially if you are carrying with the gun against bare skin (t-shirt untucked).

Reminds me of my Galco Ankle Glove.
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp...28&CatalogID=6
    I looked and looked, but couldn't find an ankle holster that was comfortable AND securely held my Colt Pony until the Galco was recommended. I didn't want to spend that much ($80 ?) on an ankle holster that would only be used on occasions where side carry wasn't possible. I'm GLAD I spent the cash as I can wear it ALL DAY with NO discomfort thanks to the sheepskin and the well designed band.

I'm glad you found something that works well for you and thanks for sharing! Great review and nice photos!

I'm sure this will help someone out there. And for those reading but thinking "That's a LOT of money for a holster", remember... you get what you pay for and quality gear bought up front is more affordable than several less expensive models that end up sitting in a box in the basement. Trust me on this one.

(Bucks County)

Maybe it's my noob-ness or my eyes are playing tricks on me. In the top pic, it looks like a RH holster, but in the bottom pic, it looks like a LH holster. Someone help me out. I'm dizzy from looking back and forth at the pics.

Anyway, it looks like a neat holster. I bookmarked their site for later use.
    I don't have a LTCF yet and joined to get information.

(Cambria County)

Way to go. I started looking and found myself bouncing back and forth between the pictures. I don't think it a pic of the same holster. I don't see how it could be. One pick is of a left handed holster, one is of a right handed holster. If it is the same holster. I'm going crazy too.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Way to go. I started looking and found myself bouncing back and forth between the pictures. I don't think it a pic of the same holster. I don't see how it could be. One pick is of a left handed holster, one is of a right handed holster. If it is the same holster. I'm going crazy too.
    Unless the on-body picture was taken in the mirror (notice the jeans key pocket)...

(Bucks County)

Ok I am glad I am not crazy.
    I don't have a LTCF yet and joined to get information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast