Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Horseshoe Pike Gun Shop in Hershey Be careful

Most stores have an as is no return policy on a used gun...period. Sorry you went out of your way to get it in person, but consider the gas and pics transfer a small price to pay.

-Zach

(Lackawanna County)

Is the OP suggesting that the shop knew about the crack and sold it to him anyway? If not, I don't see why he is warning us to be careful. Because he didn't get a call back? That doesn't seem to make sense.

(Mifflin County)

The more I think about this, the more I think "Be wary of doing business with the OP". As others said, used firearms are often "as is, period". Shop owner refunded the money, AFTER the OP had left the store. For all the shop owner knew, OP could have dropped the gun or otherwise caused the crack, but he still refunded the money. I'd have no concerns dealing with the shop.

(Mifflin County)

I really don't see the issue , the dealer sounds like a good guy !!

(Berks County)

I'm on the sounds like a stand up guy side. Shame the crack wasn't caught sooner.

(Monroe County)

A small stuff like that escapes people's eyes all the time. you think about what the size of the inventory firearms dealers have, there is a good chance that something like that may slip by them. I mean the crack got by you, the person buying the firearm. Yeah, he probably should have given you your five bucks back, but you should consider it a lesson. Luckily, it only cost you five dollars and some gas.
    Last edited by BuildTheWall; December 22nd, 2017 at 03:06 PM. Reason: poor grammar

(Philadelphia County)

I don't get it.

He sold you a gun with a cracked frame. When you showed it to him he gave you your money back.

IMO that's the most significant part of the transaction. The thread title makes it sound as if the guy and the shop are shady and not to be trusted.

If he didn't call you back afterwards, I'd can only imagine that it had more to do with you than him.

The only quibble I have is that the dealer didn't refund the PICS fee. The dealer sold a defective gun, there's no reason that the customer should eat that cost just because it went to PICS. The dealer is eating whatever he paid for the gun, might as well toss in the PICS fee.

I saw an eBay seller the other day who had a policy of "no returns except for defective merchandise, and we don't refund shipping because that money was paid to the shipper". If you sell defective merchandise, the buyer gets nothing of value, due to your error. The customer should be made 100% whole. You should also pay for return shipping.

Still, nothing here would make me shy away from the title seller. No FFL should spend the money to repair a cracked frame and then sell it, unless the gun is very rare and very valuable. There's just too much liability in selling a gun that's known to be defective, welded-up or not.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Baird View Post
    I certainly agree, but he knew there was no way I could have shot it in the short time I left the shop, so he was responsible for a cracked frame. The sad thing is, I still offered to buy the gun if he repaired it. He totally blew me off. I believe I know what that means, but am only reporting what actually took place and wanted to post a warning to be careful.
    Thanks, Dave

Mark, normally I wouldn't offer to buy a gun with a cracked frame, but it is pretty rare and the seller is a smithy himself. I trusted him in offering to buy it back.
    You bought a used gun. That's typically an "as is" purchase. Once you walked out with your purchase you assumed full responsibility. He made no attempt to hide the damage. BOTH of you missed the crack. Maybe he lost your phone number. Bottom line is you're very lucky he accepted the gun back with full refund. Once you walk out of the shop there is no way he knows you didn't drop it or somehow damage it yourself. The outcome is unfortunate but if it were me I'd be praising the shop owner for his willingness to return the money.

(York County)

To me, if anything, this thread should have a -positive- title. The guy gave you your money back when he realized the situation. To me, that's a good gun shop behaving responsibly and standing behind their product.

That he wasn't willing to undertake the repairs and sell you the repaired gun isn't a negative to me at all. It's at -worst- a neutral that he wasn't willing. It's at best a positive that he (and I'd agree) didn't want to sell a 'repaired' gun, preferring to either write it off or work out something with the manufacturer on his end.

I've faced -exactly- the same situation in my own business. A part went out with a critical flaw we didn't / couldn't catch. We happily refunded (FWIW including shipping, Phil) and wrote off the part. We sell motorcycle parts and, despite a rigorous liability disclaimer, we'd never sell something we knew to have ANY kind of flaw. We simply don't "do" repaired or flawed parts, even on a fully-disclosed "caveat emptor" basis. Liable or not, I don't want that kind of karma on my head if something ever went wrong. Bet your gun shop feels the same way. I know I would in his shoes.
    DGAF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast