Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Unhappy Horseshoe Pike Gun Shop in Hershey Be careful

Hi fellas. I had a not-so-good experience with Horseshoe Pike a couple months ago I wanted to share with you. I live in Pittsburgh, so this may have very well been a case of not giving service to an outsider. So many small shops can tend to do that, that is, catering to those they see often and not being as helpful or forthright with others.
    A fellow on one of the gun forums informed me this shop had a gun I was searching for. I connected with the owner and he sent various pics. I agreed to buy the gun and drive all the way over to Hershey myself to pick it up. I arrived on time that pre-arranged day and bought the used gun. I went to eat lunch and before driving home looked the gun over real well. In the sunlight I noticed a crack in the frame that went all the way through. I called the owner and he met me at the shop. He confirmed there was a crack and promptly gave me my money back minus the $5 Criminal Check (cheap!!!). I told him I was still very interested in the gun if he could get it repaired. I made certain he had my phone number and email before I left. I heard nothing, so in two weeks I called and was told he hadn't decided what to do with it yet! I have heard nothing. Whether or not he knew the gun had a crack or not is not for me to say. But, I will say he is a long time Gunsmith. And, he still had me interested in a gun that needed a repair! Don't you think he would have done anything to get that gun back in my hands even though I knew it had been repaired? He never even bothered to call me and let me know he'd prefer to not do that. Nothing. So, be careful and examine any used guns you are interested in VERY well before buying, especially if you aren't from that area.
    Dave

Default Re: Horseshoe Pike Gun Shop in Hershey Be careful

well, that sucks. at least he didn't go full caveat emptor on you
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

(Warren County)

You were asking a gun shop to get a crack in the frame of a used gun repaired?

Seriously?
    I would never buy a gun with a repaired frame crack.

If it cracked..... it cracked for a REASON.

I could see sending it back to the Mfg for a replacement frame, but I don't need a gun shop for that.

Also, I am not interested in buying somebody else's problem.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Butler County)

I certainly agree, but he knew there was no way I could have shot it in the short time I left the shop, so he was responsible for a cracked frame. The sad thing is, I still offered to buy the gun if he repaired it. He totally blew me off. I believe I know what that means, but am only reporting what actually took place and wanted to post a warning to be careful.
    Thanks, Dave

Mark, normally I wouldn't offer to buy a gun with a cracked frame, but it is pretty rare and the seller is a smithy himself. I trusted him in offering to buy it back.
    Last edited by Dave Baird; November 16th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I don’t see the issue. The crack was hard to spot. He realized he sold you a defective piece and returned your money. He’s stuck with a gun most people wont want and its not worth the hassle of repair.
    Say he gets it repaired and sells it to you again and the same crack happens. It’s just not worth the aggravation. He probably just figured write it off.

As far as the shop my experience is hit or miss

(Susquehanna County)

Dave I don't quite understand the warning.

yes he should have caught the crack before it was put up for sale. However you notified him and he made it right minus the $5.
    Yes he could have also gone a bit further to make it right because of your travel.

I understand your frustration, but beware of this dealer???
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Perry County)

Sorry, I'm going to have to say he sounds like an upstanding guy to me. I know you're out some time and gas money which sucks but he made you whole on the sale.

I've got some guns in my inventory that I wrote off due to my missing something I shouldn't have. He likely did the same. Why attempt a repair that may fail and result in massive liability? Better to scrap it and move on.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Butler County)

An upstanding guy would have contacted me as he said he would to tell me his plans one way or the other knowing I was still very interested. If I was local, maybe he would have. Warning is out there, take it or leave it. No biggie to me. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

(Bucks County)

I really think you're nit picking and based on your story I don't see any reason to be wary of shopping at that particular gun shop. It can be easy to miss some damage on one firearm, I've bought guns and didn't notice some defects until I got home. The shop owner returned your money and took the gun back. It's very likely the gun wasn't worth repairing for any number of reasons. I agree he could have followed up with a phone call to let you know if he would attempt a repair or not but I don't see anything the shop owner did that warrants a warning to beware of this shop.

(Chester County)

I think you need to change the title to something less incendiary - once you pointed out the crack, the guy promptly returned your funds. You may not be so fortunate if you have a similar experience with an on-line purchase mailed to you or your FFL....

No need to dump on a business that did right by you.
    - bamboomaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast