Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default PSA Complete Upper Color Issue?

Ive been looking at putting together my first AR for a long time now, and just today I finally had parts lined up to put an order in for everything I wanted. Then I started reading a couple reviews of the upper assembly and noticed a few people saying the color of the upper wasnt black, instead it was a dark navy blue. Totally not what I was wanting, but glad I saw it before I ordered.

Saw a few people here who have PSA uppers, wondering if you guys have noticed this? Was it something that was going on a year or so ago(reviews were from 2016)? Is it still going on? Anyone have that particular upper complete? Any input is appreciated. Seems kind of misleading to have a picture of a black upper as the picture and make no mention of any other color, then to send out blue set ups lol. I know I would have been mad.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: PSA Complete Upper Color Issue?

I got a PSA upper about a year ago and the upper is just very very slightly darker than my lower, but its extremely hard to notice.

But Ive been really satisfied with the upper, a couple of thousand rounds through it at least. No problems.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(York County)

I wouldnt be upset if it was just a slightly darker black than the lower, I just want to avoid one that is blue lol.

Forgot to add the link to the upper i was looking at:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...bcg-or-ch.html

And heres a pic from someone who got one showing the color difference:

https://extraimago.com/image/wpxB

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    I wouldnt be upset if it was just a slightly darker black than the lower, I just want to avoid one that is blue lol.

Forgot to add the link to the upper i was looking at:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...bcg-or-ch.html

And heres a pic from someone who got one showing the color difference:

https://extraimago.com/image/wpxB
    Hmmm.
    Id be willing to bet that it was just a rare occurrence with the blueing process.

But as a side note, I HIGHLY recommend paying a few extra dollars and get the chrome lined barrel, not the chrome-moly.
    Chrome lined chamber/bore is a much more reliable barrel. Its also easier to clean, will not corrode/rust and you can run all kinds of cheap ammo (russian steel) and not have a problem.
    The NON-chrome lined barrels in my experience are much more moody when it comes to ammo.
    There's a reason why all military firearms have chrome lining.
    Unless you dont shoot very much.
    But I put my AR's through their paces.
    Word has it the PSA Chrome Lined barrels are made by FN, the same maker of many US Military M16's.

Here's my PSA 10.5" with Mid-West Industries quad rail and Aimpoint:
    AR_PISTOL.jpg
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Chester County)

Usually, those off color receivers are sold as blems. I bought a blem lower on sale and it is a dullish dark blue-gray rather than true black. Since I bought it for go rather than show, no problem.

(Montgomery County)

My non blem upper is perfectly black. I'd order with confidence PSA has good customer service if you do end up with an issue which is doubtful.

(Allegheny County)

The "black" will vary slightly between manufacturers. One of mine has a more flat black upper while the lower is much "smoother" and a more deep black - not glossy, just not as flat as the upper.
    If you're concerned with a match, shop the same brand.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Schuylkill County)

I checked one of my PSA uppers and it does have a blue tint to it. I've seen others that have looked purple.

There are variations in receiver finish and color, just the way it is. It is usually more consistent when the receivers were made by the same manufacturer but not always. The same manufacturer can use more than 1 anodizer and bead blasting also can make the color look different. For a purple or blue looking receiver my guess is it is a dye problem by the anodizer, or they are cutting corners in the soak time.

(Somerset County)

If they were not anodized in the same batch the color is going to be different more often than not. When you receive the parts in wipe them down good with CLP. It will help with the color. I don't know why people even care unless its ridiculous. The guns are made to shoot things not be in beauty contests. If it functions fine i couldn't care less if the colors don't exactly match

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast