Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default can an international student purchase a handgun or rifle?

Hello, friend of mine wants to purchase a rifle just for range use, he is an international student with F-1 student visa, he got a SSN, and a hunting license, he doesn't have a green card though. So I took him to two gun shop at Northeast Philly just now, one said he couldn't get any , another one saids they would like to take a look at his hunting license first, but my friend is still waiting for the actual license in the mailbox, only got a print out with a certificate number. So we are gonna go back to that gun shop once he received the license in the mail, does anyone know anything about this? A friend of my friend once successfully purchased a gun many years back but now he is back to his first country so I can't find out actually how, I googled it and the answers are yes , if an international student meet some condition such as having a hinting license, I don't know.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: can an international student purchase a handgun or rifle?

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-own-a-gu...-on-study-visa

This website said this " the answer is "Yes", you can own a gun. However, as you are on a non-immigrant visa, it does get a little complicated. You aren't going to be able to walk into a gun store and buy what you want at anytime like a permanent resident or citizen can.

There is a specific exception in US firearms law that permits a non-immigrant alien to purchase and possess provided they have a hunting license issued to them from the State they are a resident of and as long as all other Federal and State laws are followed on firearms ownership.

Which means you first need to take a Hunter Safety Course and pass it. This gets you your State-issued hunting certificate which will then allow you to purchase a firearm for that purpose. It's a sporting exception written into the law to allow those who are here but not citizens to partake in sports involving firearms. You may be restricted in the type of gun you may be permitted to purchase.

When you go to purchase the gun after you get the necessary certification, you will answer Question 11(L) and Question 12 on ATF Form 4473 as "Yes", indicating you are a non-immigrant alien (Question 11(L)) and you do fall under one of the the exceptions for purchasing a firearm (Question 12). You will be required to produce the hunting license at that time to prove you fall into the exception category.

You will be delayed during the background check due to your immigration status. But provided you have met the requirements, you will be allowed to purchase and possess a firearm as a non-immigrant.

Having said all that, should you go down this road, please obtain some firearm safety training in addition to the hunter safety course and figure out beforehand how you plan to store and secure your new firearm. Become very, very familiar with all firearms laws that pertain to you. This is very important as any firearms violation as a non-citizen can get you deported. Understand the responsibilities you will bear before bringing your new gun home.

(Dauphin County)

Seems like you may have answered your own question.

(Mifflin County)

Send a message to member Xringshooter, he's an FFL in the State College area and deals with Penn State students on a regular basis. I'm confident he can answer any of your questions.

(Philadelphia County)

I got those answers from non official website so I really not sure lol just post up here hoping someone have done this before

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Send a message to member Xringshooter, he's an FFL in the State College area and deals with Penn State students on a regular basis. I'm confident he can answer any of your questions.
    Thank you for the reply , I will try , you maybe right cuz there are so many international student at Penn State who are interested in firearms

(Indiana County)

The Hunter Safety Course is not a Hunting License. In order to get a Hunting License, however, you first have to take the Hunter Safety Course.

(Centre County)

Yes, I am an FFL and have done this many times with non resident aliens going to PSU.

As long as the person has an F1 (or another, I just don't remember what it is right now) visa, his passport, PA drivers license (not necessary but makes things a bit easier), and his hunting license, a non-immigrant alien can purchase a handgun, rifle or shotgun. The person does not have to have a SSAN, but again makes things easier. The background check takes a bit longer because the PICS operator has to call the INS or DHS to complete that part of the background check. This can take an hour or a day. So far, I have done this several dozen times and have never received a denial. Lately the BGC delay has been between 1 1/2 and 4 hours.

Now, all that said, many FFL's will say no because they just don't want to go through the necessary steps (which really isn't a big deal). If you find one like this, don't argue with them, they won't change their minds. Just go find one that will do it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Yes, I am an FFL and have done this many times with non resident aliens going to PSU.

As long as the person has an F1 (or another, I just don't remember what it is right now) visa, his passport, PA drivers license (not necessary but makes things a bit easier), and his hunting license, a non-immigrant alien can purchase a handgun, rifle or shotgun. The person does not have to have a SSAN, but again makes things easier. The background check takes a bit longer because the PICS operator has to call the INS or DHS to complete that part of the background check. This can take an hour or a day. So far, I have done this several dozen times and have never received a denial. Lately the BGC delay has been between 1 1/2 and 4 hours.

Now, all that said, many FFL's will say no because they just don't want to go through the necessary steps (which really isn't a big deal). If you find one like this, don't argue with them, they won't change their minds. Just go find one that will do it.
    I agree, I was dating a girl who was here on a H Visa (work visa) and she was allowed to buy firearms.
    No hunting permit was needed. She did have to produce her SSN, passport and DL.
    Her BCG took about 20 minutes on a weekday morning.

A month later she also got her LTCF.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Philadelphia County)

updated, my friend got his hunting license in today, right away he went to surplus city in Ne Philly, they said give them some time to do their homework and they will call my friend back, so I told my friend go to Tanner's at Jamison and they are very knowledgeable to deal with this situation, my friend spent $3000 and walk out with a 1911, an ak47 and a ar15 today . Problem solved, thanks guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast