Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Gov. Tom Wolf promotes bill to restrict domestic abusers' access to guns

The key change is that if this becomes law then you will have to hand your guns over to law enforcement or a licensed Dealer.

You can't give them to a friend or family member.

If you hand them over to LEO, good luck ever getting them back.

If you hand them over to an FFL, how much will they charge to hold them for you?

this is a Bloomberg/Soros sponsored attack on gun ownership and it has passed in a couple of states. I want to say California and Washignton or Oregon, but that could be wrong.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Default Re: Gov. Tom Wolf promotes bill to restrict domestic abusers' access to guns

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Gov. Tom Wolf on Tuesday threw his weight behind a bipartisan bill to restrict domestic abusers' access to guns.

Senate Bill 501 would require anyone who is under an active protection-from-abuse order or who has been convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence to hand their guns over to authorities or firearms dealers.

The change would eliminate the option of giving a gun to an acquaintance for safekeeping, and make it a misdemeanor for an acquaintance to accept the firearm. The change would apply to ammunition and other weapons.

“We must protect victims — spouses and children — of domestic violence and attempt to prevent domestic abusers from escalating their violence in everyday places that result in mass murder,” Wolf said in a news release. “It is time for the General Assembly to act on this bipartisan, commonsense legislation to protect victims and reduce violence.”

My question, if it's after due process? Or does a spouse simply have to claim she/he is scared?
    Due process doesn't mean shit when it relates to the 2A.
    The entire PFA is a constitutional runaround to begin with. No charges, no conviction, just an allegation that can lead to your firearms being confiscated, and being treated as a criminal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Many women use the PFA as a weapon when a marriage is self destructing. They are encouraged by their attorneys. It gets the man out of the house for 30 days, no questions asked.
    During that time the women can clean out everything the man has and there is nothing he can do about it. Tools, fishing equipment, electronics, furniture, your dogs etc....
    After all, it is also her stuff. She has as much right to it as he does. The values will be negotiated in court at a later date. It happens every day. It has happened to friends. It happened to me.

The PFA was designed to protect women from dangerous and abusive men. It is more often used as a tool and a weapon to strengthen their side in the negotiation.

It is a terrifying situation. If you are innocent it will be resolved in court,but, all your stuff may be gone.
    Word for word happened to me. Doylestown has a place called a woman's place which is supposed to be for women who are actual victims of domestic abuse. They literally hand the play book you described to every one that walks through their door. The only abuse they deal with is that of the PFA system...

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    The key change is that if this becomes law then you will have to hand your guns over to law enforcement or a licensed Dealer.

You can't give them to a friend or family member.

If you hand them over to LEO, good luck ever getting them back.

If you hand them over to an FFL, how much will they charge to hold them for you?

this is a Bloomberg/Soros sponsored attack on gun ownership and it has passed in a couple of states. I want to say California and Washignton or Oregon, but that could be wrong.
    I turned mine into the sheriff who was very helpful when I showed up to have them returned.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Due process doesn't mean shit when it relates to the 2A.
    The entire PFA is a constitutional runaround to begin with. No charges, no conviction, just an allegation that can lead to your firearms being confiscated, and being treated as a criminal.
    PFAs are NOTHING more than a CYA for the county/state should the situation turn tragic. It relieves them of legal liability from the victims family. It allows them to wipe their hands of the situation and say "we did everything we could to prevent this from happening". PFAs aren't worth the paper they're printed on as far as stopping someone intent on doing harm, theyre right up there with,gun free zones. There are dozens of stories of domestic violence ending in tragedy well after a PFA has been filed against an abusive spouse...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Thats crazy.

And Im sure some evil bitch knowing your guns get taken away would love making that happen just out of spite.
    That happened to my brother.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Which also brings me to another point... whatch what you post online. When I went to court for the PFA she tried to use my posts on this forum against me in court to paint me as a gun nut. My attorney had them trown out. You've been warned..

(Fayette County)

I think if I ever know a divorce is imminent, Im just going to take a day off work while she's not home, rent a uhual move all MY stuff out and cut contact.
    Probably difficult to get a PFA if you no longer have contact.
    Hopefully, that never is a situation I got to go through.

Some very valuable lessons here from other members though.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
    not probably. will. the second she cries boo-hoo and they find out you own guns it's automatic. they hand out PFAs like pez. you are stripped of your rights with ZERO due process. you have 24 hours to surrender your firearms. oh, but don't worry, we'll get you into court in 10 (business) days... most divorce attorneys encourage the woman to file a PFA. PFA's are the biggest abortions of the legal system that exists. you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. ask me how i know...

if you want to really get your blood pressure up, do some google searches on PFAs and read some of the stories. try not to smash your computer...
    I had heard forum stories for some time and then got to see it in person with what my friend went through. Not only is as bad as you say but what women and their lawyers are doing is using the PFA to extort money and other demands from men. If anything we need a law banning using the threat of a PFA or a PFA as a means to extort money, goods, demands and services from people.

All a good reason why I am not married or have any permanent GF.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I had heard forum stories for some time and then got to see it in person with what my friend went through. Not only is as bad as you say but what women and their lawyers are doing is using the PFA to extort money and other demands from men. If anything we need a law banning using the threat of a PFA or a PFA as a means to extort money, goods, demands and services from people.

All a good reason why I am not married or have any permanent GF.
    What most people don't realize is while the PFA is in place you lose any and all contact with your kid(s) until you go to court. Then, if a final PFA is granted you could potentially lose your kids for up to and including 3 years. Thankfully I was smart enough to not get the witch preggo...

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Many women use the PFA as a weapon when a marriage is self destructing. They are encouraged by their attorneys. It gets the man out of the house for 30 days, no questions asked.
    During that time the women can clean out everything the man has and there is nothing he can do about it. Tools, fishing equipment, electronics, furniture, your dogs etc....
    After all, it is also her stuff. She has as much right to it as he does. The values will be negotiated in court at a later date. It happens every day. It has happened to friends. It happened to me.

The PFA was designed to protect women from dangerous and abusive men. It is more often used as a tool and a weapon to strengthen their side in the negotiation.

It is a terrifying situation. If you are innocent it will be resolved in court,but, all your stuff may be gone.
    Oh yes. That is exactly what happens. You get removed from your house with no access to your papers, personal effects, clothes, cars, you name it. YOU have to petition the court to get things and YOU have to hire a constable to go with you and still the broad can sit there and cause trouble with you removing your stuff.

There is nothing in the law these days that encourages women to behave well in divorce or for that matter at all.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I think if I ever know a divorce is imminent, Im just going to take a day off work while she's not home, rent a uhual move all MY stuff out and cut contact.
    Probably difficult to get a PFA if you no longer have contact.
    Hopefully, that never is a situation I got to go through.

Some very valuable lessons here from other members though.
    Had something like this happen to a neighbor once. He got home from work and found the house ransacked, so he called the police to report it. It was discovered his wife was there with a moving van and loaded up almost everything. One other neighbor saw it happening, but since he recognized her, it did not register as out of place. They were a couple houses down and I did not know them well, except to say hello.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast