Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Want to purchase firearm but diagnosed with mental disorder. Details inside.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I don't disagree with you. But I always see reasoned responses to these types of questions here. We don't feed the narrative of the antis. Either a person in real need is given some guidance and some things to figure out or an anti is left frustrated and disappears.
    Going by my memory I would agree with that and didn't have any particular member in mind when I wrote my last statement. In all reality all it takes is one guy making a sarcastic comment or reply that they do not even believe to explode the minds of the Anti's.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Want to purchase firearm but diagnosed with mental disorder. Details inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Allegheny County)

Talk to a lawyet. Lock the thread.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by georgey215 View Post
    Googling it, it says "A person is “committed to a mental institution” if that person has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution by a court or other lawful authority. This expressly excludes voluntary commitment."

It was voluntary commitment. I dunno, I feel like I'm approaching a grey area, but that clearly says excludes voluntary. This is just unclear man based on all your responses. But yea I contacting a lawyer is good. How much would it cost usually?
    The last time I contacted a lawyer about finding out for a friend if they were a prohibited person the quote was $100-$200, depending on how much documentation of their situation the friend had, or how much research the lawyer had to do to figure out exactly what their situation was. That was not a mental health situation, though.

I would think the fact that you passed a PICS check would indicate that you were never 302ed. A PICS check is a dangerous way to find that out, though. If you had been prohibited you would likely have been contacted by PSP and charged with a crime. For the last few years PSP has been prosecuting people who are prohibited for things like a 302 from years ago, and the person isn't even aware they are prohibited.

As has been said this is a complicated and messy thing and it is probably best to do the due diligence of having an attorney who specializes in firearms law check into it.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

this whole story stinks and i ain't believin none of it

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by georgey215 View Post
    Hello all,

I would like to purchase a firearm, but before I do I want to make sure I'm not breaking the law. I was 302'd several years ago. I ended up getting an evaluation and released and deemed a non-threat. Not too long later I voluntarily put myself in a psychiatric hospital for 5 days and again was released as a non-threat. I went attempted to purchase a firearm and they did a background check. Said I passed with flying colors, but then I changed my mind and didn't purchase the firearm, just to be safe. So am I breaking the law if I do purchase one? Thanks in advance.
    The ONLY way to know if you are prohibited is to know EXACTLY what your records say.

The info you have given suggests that you either don't know what a 302 is, or you did indeed lie on the form for the background check.
    If you were 302'd you were involuntarily committed and you can't answer "no" the the question asking if you have been involuntarily committed.

That said, you didn't say how long you were held before being released. That info would be enough for someone who understands the various commitment types to know if you were 302'd or not.
    From what you have said so far I can't really say for sure if you even know what a 302 IS.

Also, the advice given that "if you passed a background check, you are OK" is absolutely NOT good advice - AT ALL.
    Mistakes happen - paperwork doesn't get filed - people slip through the cracks. It happens. Just look at the asshole in Texas that was prohibited from buying, but the military screwed up and didn't do the paperwork which would have prevented him from legally buying guns.
    Passing a background check doesn't mean DICK. You need to get your hospital records - they are yours - pay for copies and find out 100% what type of commitment you were held under.

It's the only way to be sure.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    this whole story stinks and i ain't believin none of it
    Yes I am suspect as well ......................hmmmmmmm

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It's the only way to be sure.
    Nuke from orbit.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Clinton County)

In a parallel universe where we actually understand plain English there shouldn't BE prohibitions and restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms for free people. Its not my problem until I'm "mentally unfit" to exercise my rights due to the current flavor of the week "mental disorder".
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Erie County)

People can commit themselves because of anxiety and depression, thoughts of suicide, which is a threat to themselves.

The OP doesn't have to divulge this.

The concern is the 302, or involuntary detainment.

I know of someone 302'ed, then released weeks later, but this person will need meds, and counseling for life, thus no firearms.

Doesn't matter if the OP is genuine, or a troll, as long as the correct responses are given.

Breaking the law is not in anyone's best interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast