Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default 38 Special for catching deers?

Anybody use a 38 Special for catching deers?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 38 Special for catching deers?

When I researched this many moons ago, it was determined that 38 spl is underpowered for deer hunting. 357 Mag is the floor for hunting and with at least a 6 inch barrel. A good hunter wants a fast clean kill and the 38 spl is just not enough to insure this. If it was all I had and I was starving, it would work, but it is far from my first choice.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    When I researched this many moons ago, it was determined that 38 spl is underpowered for deer hunting. 357 Mag is the floor for hunting and with at least a 6 inch barrel. A good hunter wants a fast clean kill and the 38 spl is just not enough to insure this. If it was all I had and I was starving, it would work, but it is far from my first choice.
    ^^^this^^^

.357 with a good hard cast would be my bottom for hunting.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    Anybody use a 38 Special for catching deers?
    I think corn would work better for catching deer, as far as I know deer aren't very attracted to pistols.

(Allegheny County)

I am pretty sure the .38 special will catch a deer but I wouldn’t rely on it to kill a deer. 357 mag is the minimum, imho.

(Bucks County)

Deer are thin-skinned animals. A 125 XTP through the boiler room (behind the shoulder/leg bone) should do the job, if you are an accurate catcher. It is not uncommon to have to track a deer 50 yards or more, hit by a 30-30 in the heart-lungs. No reason a .38 special wouldn't create the same result, I would think.

Back in the 50s I read of Alaskan Indians killing large animals with .22LR rifles, simply because that was what they had. They relied on shot placement.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Deer are thin-skinned animals. A 125 XTP through the boiler room (behind the shoulder/leg bone) should do the job, if you are an accurate catcher. It is not uncommon to have to track a deer 50 yards or more, hit by a 30-30 in the heart-lungs. No reason a .38 special wouldn't create the same result, I would think.

Back in the 50s I read of Alaskan Indians killing large animals with .22LR rifles, simply because that was what they had. They relied on shot placement.
    Would you trust 9mm to kill deer? Because it's operates at a higher velocity than a .38 with 125 grain pills.

(Bucks County)

Sever a coronary artery or cardiac chamber, any mammal will die. It is done with bow and arrow, why not a .355-.356 9mm or a .357 .38 spl? Same with perforating lungs. Death follows.

Even better. Hit the deer in the neck spine and it'll drop like a rock. Hit it through the carotids and it will drop in about 25 yards like one did when I shot an arrow through his.

Actually, the question is looking for anyone who has caught deers using a .38 special. I have not. I have used a .357 magnum, neck shot, dropped like a rock.
    But not a .38 special, so I should not be posting.

(Bucks County)

A .38 will easily kill a deer. So will a .22LR.

The question is will it kill it fast enough for you to find it. The answer is generally NO.

Or why would you want to even try.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Sever a coronary artery or cardiac chamber, any mammal will die. It is done with bow and arrow, why not a .355-.356 9mm or a .357 .38 spl? Same with perforating lungs. Death follows.

Even better. Hit the deer in the neck spine and it'll drop like a rock. Hit it through the carotids and it will drop in about 25 yards like one did when I shot an arrow through his.

Actually, the question is looking for anyone who has caught deers using a .38 special. I have not. I have used a .357 magnum, neck shot, dropped like a rock.
    But not a .38 special, so I should not be posting.
    Possible and ethical are two different things. I will categorically state right now what .38 special is absolutely inadequate for PA whitetail, the chances of you just wounding an animal are far too high. .38 special is very weak, even with +p loads.

Bows do not kill the same way firearms kill, a broad head is designed to cause massive blood loss, a .38 hollow point is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast