Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default What would you do?

Just for some background.

I live in PA about 7 miles from Weirton WV and 12 miles from Steubenville Oh. I have a PA LTCF and permits from Utah and Arizona. I was in Weirton in a school zone where I slowed down to 15 MPH because of the school. The woman behind me did not slow down and she rear ended me. There was a Weirton police officer right across the street. I was carrying. He came over and we got everything worked out. I did not inform him I was carrying because I was in a Federal GFZ and did not have a WV permit.

This brings up two questions first would any of you notified. The second and most confusing is if I had been in Ohio what would I do. If I informed I would be guilty of being in a Federal school zone without a permit from Ohio, but if I did not inform I could be arrested for not informing. It seems to me that if caught not informing my defense could be the 5th amendment.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: What would you do?

IANAL but if I remember correctly a PA LTCF is valid in Ohio. The real question is, were you in the school zone to pick somebody up or were you just passing through. In my opinion if you had no intention of getting out of your car and you were just in the school zone because the road you were on passed a school, then I think you'd be ok. I'm not a lawyer though and that's my opinion.

Wv is constitutional carry. That said, I wouldn't volunteer any info, and doubtfull that I would "confess" anything either, right up until I was about to be patted down.

My reasoning is this, what they don't know won't hurt them. If asked and you lie, they would have to pat you down to determine you are lying. If they are about to pat you down, you are gonna get caught anyway, and if you are getting patted down at a fender bender, you have bigger probs anyway.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Washington County)

The WV part of this was not a real worry as I had the gun well concealed and even if discovered I would only have the Federal law to worry about. The Ohio part is what really scares me because of the requirement to notify.

(Washington County)

As far as I am concerned, The Fifth Amendment is your defense any time you do not wish to talk to the police or any government agent, for any reason, with no regard to whether or not you have committed / are committing a crime. They can take their "must inform" and shove it.

(Bucks County)

I believe a LTCF from any state exempts you from the 1,000ft gum free zone BS.

Someone who knows for sure will probably chime in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Fr...es_Act_of_1990

for multiple reasons, I think you did right by not informing. as for Ohio, that's going to be a tough one since they're a must-inform. I would posit though, in the case of ohio, you were not stopped for an infraction of the traffic code, but because of an accident. If you are already out of your vehicle, is it still a must-inform situation? I'm assuming Ohio doesn't require people to "inform" every time they see a cop or have a conversation with them.

the whole GFSZA is a dumpster fire of flaming used George Takei dildos.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I believe a LTCF from any state exempts you from the 1,000ft gum free zone BS.

Someone who knows for sure will probably chime in.
    I has to be issued by the state in which the school sits.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Great question! I'd call the AG's office in the State and ask for the person in that office who specializes in providing that kind of answer. I'd document the phone call by writing out my questions beforehand, and then noting in writing the answer given me, if any. Used to be here in PA when questions like that arose, we could call the AG's office in Harrisburg and ask that of an extremely helpful gentleman whose name was "George" as I recall. HTH

TB605

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I has to be issued by the state in which the school sits.
    Wow, did not know that it had to be from the actual state you’re in at the time....that sounds like a real “gotcha!” kind of law. So if you’re carrying in another state under reciprocity, it’s illegal to even be driving through a school zone on a public road?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast