Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 RSAUM ??

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 300 RSAUM ??

I loaded a 4350 load with 165 gr Horn. Ball. Tips. It shot 1" groups at 100 and 4 shots in 2.5 at 200. I'm very impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The RSAUM is pretty much a pointless cartridge driven by marketing. It as during the time where companies were trying to convince people that short actions were better than long actions. Never mind that the 300 win Mag is superbly accurate and can shoot heavier bullets faster.

Its even worse considering Winchesters .30 WSM has a larger case capacity, shoots faster, and was introduced first (I think).

But it is still a good cartridge if you reload. You can find used rifles for cheap (but have to pay 2X for the brass). If the rifle is a shooter the OP would be advised to stock up on a lifetime supply of brass. The RSAUM is pretty much obsolete now and you won't be able to find any in 10 years.
    This is going to go off on a slight tangent, but it is still part of this whole discussion since we're talking about the short fat cases, etc. I agree with you that the .300 RSAUM has become a little pointless, although it wasn't a bad concept. I do disagree about the companies merely trying to convince people that short actions were better, etc. The .300 winmag (and WSM) are my two favorite calibers. I actually built my custom rifle in .300 WSM and modified the magazine well so that I could seat all the bullets to the lands and never have to worry about magazine length being an issue in a short action. I could have built the rifle in any caliber I wanted, especially after I had a .308 caliber barrel blank, but I chose the .300 WSM for a couple of reasons. The WSM uses barely over 2/3's the powder for most powders vs. the .300 winmag. The .300 winmag is also overbore, and so the extra heat and powder don't necessarily get you all the velocity that it should, unless you're using a very long barrel that the powder burn length for your particular powder is shorter than the barrel length. Because the .300 WSM isn't really quite overbore (right on the border), it has a MUCH longer barrel life; although, the point could be made that with magnums most people don't ever shoot enough rounds to burn out a barrel, regardless. For most animals that people hunt with a .300 winmag, the 200 grain bullets will get the job done, and I know most people don't even shoot much over 180 grains anyway. I like the 185 Berger hybrids because I can push them a little faster than the heavier bullets and they have such a nice BC, but the 200 grain Berger Hybrids have a lower BC than most of the 208 grain bullets and even some of the heavier ones. Some people would bring up that they're target bullets, but most people shooting a 220 grain bullet are talking about a 220 Sierra Matchking, which is also a target bullet. I can easily push my 185 Berger Hybrids out of my 26" Krieger barrel, at 3,091 fps. I get 10 reloads out of my brass (they are necksized 2/3 of the loads), and I throw them away after 10 because I just don't see the point in pushing it. I've never had a case neck split or case webbing blow out yet.

I think one of the real reasons the WSM won out over the RSAUM is that the WSM isn't a belted cartridge and the RSAUM is, so it was a little more work to reload the RSAUM. For good reloaders, it didn't matter either way, but since the WSM had a little more case capacity and velocity, why bother with the belted cartridge? I really don't disagree with you, but I do see the merits of the short fat magnums, for most people's uses. My .300 WSM's are easier to reload for than my .300 winmags, and I don't get the case life from the winmags that I do from my WSM's. Every elk I've ever hit with even a 190 grain Berger has gone down the same way my buddy's go down with his .300 Weatherby or his .300 Remington Ultramag. I do agree that if he likes the rifle, he should stock up on brass, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    So I bought a Remington model Seven chambered in 300 RSAUM.
    I'm guessing the gun is 10 years old due to the caliber being discontinued years ago. Its in great shape. I bought it relatively cheap.

Anyone have any experience with this caliber ??

Anyone have any good reload combinations ??

Thanks

Rob

The model 7 is a fine rifle, and quite light. Remington did discontinue the caliber after years of production. Both the RSAUM and WSM came out in 2001, although I'm not sure which one was released first. They went head to head, and like I said in the above post, I think the WSM won out because the slightly larger case capacity and not having to use the belt to headspace off of vs. the shoulder. It's an accurate caliber with a good barrel life. You probably won't shoot enough rounds to burn through a barrel. As a word of advice, since you only have that one rifle chambered in that caliber and hadn't heard of it before, I'd do the first load on a full resize, and then the next 2-3 loads as only neck sizing. It usually helps a little with the accuracy, but it greatly extends your case life (as I'm sure you know). Since the brass will one day be possibly difficult to find (it's already expensive), you definitely want to get as many reloads as you can safely from the brass.

I don't personally reload for the RSAUM, so I'd have to ask friends if they have any recipes. I'm a big fan of Berger and Nosler bullets. I use Alliant Reloader for my WSM's and winmags. I've found that it meters well, very consistent lot to lot (I still buy several 5lb jugs from the same lot at a time), and that it doesn't have a lot of velocity changes with differences in weather. I don't personally use Reloader 17 just because I couldn't find it when I first started reloading for the WSM, and I had Reloader 22 on hand. Reloader 17 was developed for the short magnums and those type of case capacity volumes and shorter barrel. I shoot a 26" barrel on my custom rifle, so I can get away with RL-22, but for you using the RSAUM (slightly less case capacity) and the shorter barrel on the Model 7, it probably wouldn't give you the velocities that you're looking for. So I would consider using something like Reloader 17 (RL-17) or IMR 4350, although the 4350 sometimes doesn't quite meter as well and has a little more variance in very extreme temperature changes, but has almost identical burn rates. I like and do still shoot IMR 4350, so I'd definitely consider it also. I have never reloaded any of these loads, but this is from Alliant's website as some recipes and to give you some ideas of velocities if you decided to choose something like RL-17. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...&cartridge=140

(Wayne County)

Light rifle, short barrel, gonna be fun a day break or dusk with that fire breathing dragon. Only short mag I’ve dealt with was 270 WSM. Have fun with that little beast.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the response ill read the long one at lunch

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Light rifle, short barrel, gonna be fun a day break or dusk with that fire breathing dragon. Only short mag I’ve dealt with was 270 WSM. Have fun with that little beast.
    I have actually shot it a bunch, I'm in love with the caliber. It shoots great and with the muzzle break hardly kicks at all. Its like shooting a .223 bolt gun. It groups 2" at 200 with 5 shots. I cant be happier with it . .

Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12